Seravalli: Ryan Merkley requests a trade from the Sharks

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
What is SJ looking for? A prospect with a similar background, high draft pick that hasn't got any traction? Maybe a McIsaac - Merkley swap would be benificial for both players.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Amazing talent wasted , he was so good with the puck in junior

Yet I never saw someone not care about defense that much

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Guy sounds like an absolute clown. He's gunna be off to Europe in short order if he doesn't fix these attitude problems
Maybe. I think some other bad team needs to give him some rope to see if he figures it out at the NHL level. His play style though is just not something that an NHL coach is going to give him much rope on unless he produces at a very good clip.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sharks already have a glut of fringe NHL forwards or worse. If you're going to toss someone the Sharks' way, it should be someone of similar age with some possibility of growth.
Matthew Phillips

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That seems more in line with what the Sharks would look for in this situation if draft picks aren't available.
It would give both guys new opportunities

Small but still more than what they have now

I don’t but some Flames fans think very highly of Phillips. At least he is a terrific AHLer

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Amazing talent wasted , he was so good with the puck in junior

Yet I never saw someone not care about defense that much
In the AHL it’s not necessarily not caring it’s more he’s just slow to react. It’s like his body is 30 steps ahead of his brain and his brain is trying to catch up all the time.
What is SJ looking for? A prospect with a similar background, high draft pick that hasn't got any traction? Maybe a McIsaac - Merkley swap would be benificial for both players.
Done immediately. Don’t think either of those guys really become NHLers but man we need D in the AHL.
Matthew Phillips
I’d definitely do this but if there’s a deal for a similar level D prospect, I’d prefer that. We have I think it’s 3 right now but was 4 ATO on defense in the AHL.

Reactions: Mister Ed

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
In the AHL it’s not necessarily not caring it’s more he’s just slow to react. It’s like his body is 30 steps ahead of his brain and his brain is trying to catch up all the time.

Done immediately. Don’t think either of those guys really become NHLers but man we need D in the AHL.

I’d definitely do this but if there’s a deal for a similar level D prospect, I’d prefer that. We have I think it’s 3 right now but was 4 ATO on defense in the AHL.
Wow! A lot of D call-ups in San Jose right now then?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Meloche or Gilbert

Reactions: YP44

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007

Im talking about his junior years , i remember watching/"scouting" him and he had some baffling give up on plays

Like not even trying to prevent a empty net goal while being down 3-2 in a playoffs game

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Wow! A lot of D call-ups in San Jose right now then?
The worst part is no :laugh: it’s all been injuries to our AHL D. Cicek spent time with SJ, Kniazev and Hatakka both missed a bit of time, and a few of our other AHL D just haven’t looked good.
Meloche or Gilbert
I’d do it.
Im talking about his junior years , i remember watching/"scouting" him and he had some baffling give up on plays

Like not even trying to prevent a empty net goal while being down 3-2 in a playoffs game
yeah definitely. Just commenting on he has grown a little bit since then

Reactions: jiboy

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I've always been high on Merkley and I think if he goes to the right team playing enough minutes he'll put together a solid career as an offensive-minded #6/7 that plays a lot of PP time. For whatever reason he hasn't put it together here, but we also have a terrible AHL coach and an NHL coach that would rather play useless plugs like Jaycob Megna and Radim Simek.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
I have not cared for his game at the pro level. I wish him best of luck and hope he gets a spot, but the guy's just too slow to be an offensive defenseman in the national

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad