Seravalli: Ryan Merkley requests a trade from the Sharks

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Personally, I think it’s within Merkley’s capability. He truly has next level vision and passing skills; there were times last year with the Sharks that he’d make a pass that had me thinking he was Karlsson until I realized. Someone with that level of talent should be able to make decisions better. But to me, it just seems like Merkley is ignoring the feedback he’s getting and assuming his natural talent will carry him through. Maybe with the right coach (he’s had horrible ones), he could resurrect his career.

I like the idea of trading him for a similar reclamation project, or for mid-round pick.
I would be more than happy to move our extra 4th round pick this year or the extra 3rd round pick next year for him. Mainly because we just don't have a D-man with his level of offensive vision on our team or prospect pool. Hoping Ty Nelson can be that kind of D-man but he is probably 2-3 seasons away.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
I would be more than happy to move our extra 4th round pick this year or the extra 3rd round pick next year for him. Mainly because we just don't have a D-man with his level of offensive vision on our team or prospect pool. Hoping Ty Nelson can be that kind of D-man but he is probably 2-3 seasons away.
wait aren't/weren't you a Sharks fan?

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I was yes. Till the Kraken (home team) happened.
1672773403341.png

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I was being sarcastic. It's unfortunate and unbelievable how quickly things fell apart for the Sharks.
They were run like an incompetent small business under Doug & Son for the last five years. This Merkley pick is a perfect example. We know most teams would not have taken him 210th overall let alone 21st. Yeah you’re unlikely to draft a good player late in the 1st but it was still piss poor asset management to take Merkley that high.

Reactions: Groo

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
As much as it would mess up my screen name, were I the Canes, I’d trade Dominik Bokk for him. Both 2018 1st rounders needing a change of scenery, and 2 players who likely have no future in their current organizations.

Reactions: Gecklund

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This guy has so much talent but his issue is that he refuses to work on the things that will make him an NHLer. He’s talented enough offensively that he could be a regular third pairing guy despite his defensive shortcomings, but he refuses to improve on this one thing that’s holding him back: glacial decision making. He’s got incredible vision and passing ability, but he’s too slow to make decisions and by the time he does make the pass, defenders are on him.

No one should give up anything if value for him. I’d be thrilled to get a 4th.
Been the issue since he was in AAA. He tries for the highlight play at all costs, and refuses to have it coached out of him. He's also historically not had the best temperment but I have no idea if that's changed in San Jose. But, this was always a likely outcome and NHL teams knew this at his draft date.

Reactions: PBandJ

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I assume he wants a shot to play in the NHL, but it's not like there are world beaters ahead of him in San Jose.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Another brilliant pick by Doug Wilson Jr., promoted to scouting director despite zero scouting or pro hockey playing experience because his daddy was the GM.
Scouting director while living in San Jose. It was always comical to see. Whereas like every scouting director lives in a region with a massive junior hockey league and in some cases easy access to multiple (hence why a ton live in Southern Ontario or the Detroit area to have the USNTDP/USHL/OHL/NCAA crossover).

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
The one thing that has not been mentioned yet and that would diminish his offensive value even if he found a way to make decisions way faster is his shot… He has the shot of a 6 year old. So defenses, especially on the PP really do not have to worry about his shot at all and could strictly focus on being in passing lanes.

That he could not improve his shot puzzles me way more than his inability to sort out the decision making problem (which may just be unsolvable… if your brain works at a certain speed, there is only so much you can do).

Edit: while it’s always tough to judge from the outside, I haven’t seen or heard a hint towards any attitude problems.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Zadina for Merkley seems like a decent change of scenery trade
Don’t want Merkley anywhere near this team.
Never had and never will know how to play defense and it looks like his offense hasn’t even been very good.

Seems like a super immature kid who thinks he’s way better than he actually is and refuses to work on anything that needs working on. Add him being traded by his top contending junior team despite being their “best” player and then the team who aquired him refusing to let him anywhere near the team afterwards says enough about him.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
This is going to sound weird but as a parent of an ADHD kid, I could really see him being one of those guys doesn't pulls it all together until his mid/late 20’s. Could be a tough road between now and them.

As of right now he has little to no trade value.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Sounds like Zadina, he's just kind of there. I don't think Merkley is the style of defender Yzerman would have much interest in tho.
Zadina just kind of is there in the NHL, Merkley is that in the AHL.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
High upside, small, offensive dman with attitude problems. A first round pedigree has done more harm than good

Exactly.

Getting picked in the first round is the worst thing that could've happened to him. Kid badly needed a wakeup call and to be humbled on draft day. If he would've slipped to something like the third or fourth round, it hopefully would've been enough of a shock to get his head screwed on straight and get him on track to make something of himself in the pros. Kid always needed several years of work in the minor league to build any sort of defensive competence. But, it's a bit too late now...losing those four years with his bullheadedness cost him a decent NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad