Injury Report: Ryan Jones will miss a few weeks

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I believe in putting size and sandpaper in with skill.

Jones is a pretty good goal scorer. To the point that in all honesty he might not look out of place on a 2nd line with skilled players. Back to back 17 goal seasons playing almost entirely 3rd line minutes is a nice accomplishment.

But am I the only one who doesn't see much grit in Jones' game? He has earned himself decent hit stats over the past 2 seasons, but I can't ever really recall him throwing big hits that actually impact anything. He's not much of a fighter and really doesn't mix it up with other teams players in between whistles.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
My lines:

Hall - Gagner - Eberle
Jones - RNH - Hemsky
Eager - Belanger - Yak
Harti - VandeVelde/Lander - Petrell

No Smyth or MPS? all of a sudden, too many bodies...

3Usiw.gif

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jones is a pretty good goal scorer. To the point that in all honesty he might not look out of place on a 2nd line with skilled players. Back to back 17 goal seasons playing almost entirely 3rd line minutes is a nice accomplishment.

But am I the only one who doesn't see much grit in Jones' game? He has earned himself decent hit stats over the past 2 seasons, but I can't ever really recall him throwing big hits that actually impact anything. He's not much of a fighter and really doesn't mix it up with other teams players in between whistles.

I put him with Stoll. Guys that don't go and throw big hits, but they'll go full speed into the corners and crash to get the pucks.

And honestly that is better than nothing right now. Until the kids are willing to go in deep on a consistent basis having a Jones do it won't hurt.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site

I'm definitely seeing different things than you. He's not a big open ice hitter, but he finishes checks consistently and frequently mixes it up. Definitely describe him as a gritty player. At least that's what I've seen.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Right now the problem is its two more wingers that come in and no one to play centre..
So what would the bottom two lines look like if Jones and Eager are cleared to play?

Eager-Smyth-Jones
Hartikinen-???-Petrell

So on Sunday when Belanger returns it would be

Smyth-Belanger-Jones
Eager-???-Petrell

Even with these two coming back we still need another bottom 6 centre man... I guess you could do this:

Eager- Smyth - Jones
Hartikinen - Belagner - Petrell

But Smyth looked exposed at times late in last nights game, too much skating for him at centre..

The bolded goes back to something I said back when we first signed Hordichuk/Eager.

Adding up those 2 wingers + all the other guys either brought in or retained...and you get to the point where we are today...and...we've actually been for some time already....

Tambellini has basically brought together ten-ish wingers to do the job that one more high end centreman could do.

Not very efficient.

And very annoying.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The bolded goes back to something I said back when we first signed Belanger/Eager.

Adding up those 2 wingers + all the other guys either brought in or retained...and you get to the point where we are today...and...we've actually been for some time already....

Tambellini has basically brought together ten-ish wingers to do the job that one more high end centreman could do.

Not very efficient.

And very annoying.

Why would this be an issue when we signed Belanger?

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Why would this be an issue when we signed Belanger?

Sorry I was intending for that to be "Hordichuk/Eager".

I'll edit it....but...Belanger belongs in the discussion almost as much as any of the wingers.

For all the ranting & raving we do about the good things Belanger brings...I really have to wonder how much of his D-zone play could be neccesitated through weak/innocuous attacking skills at the other end of the rink?

That being said...Belanger isn't the start of the problem. He is the guy we ended up with after we signed a whole bunch of wingers we DIDN'T need. And I have to admit...as much as I was supportive of bringing back Smitty...he is now one of the several redundant "extra" wingers hanging around here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
Coach Krueger says Ryan Jones is still "minimum a few weeks" away from returning to the #Oilers lineup, expects an OKC call-up tomorrow

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
Coach Krueger says Ryan Jones is still "minimum a few weeks" away from returning to the #Oilers lineup, expects an OKC call-up tomorrow

Yeah because theres lots down there that will help..:shakehead

Anyone of consequence that's ready for the NHL has already been called up.

ST needs to get off his ass and help this team before it's too late...again.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
No kidding... they are scraping the bottom of the barrel in OKC at this point.

Hell people want to poach Cheechoo off that roster at this point and he doesn't even have an NHL contract. :) Shows you what's left down there.

I think it's pretty obvious Tambo needs to make a trade (or trades) to fill some holes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad