Injury Report: Ryan Jones will miss a few weeks

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
jones is the perfect third/fourth liner score nearly 20 goals a year. hits and grinds, for the money we pay him he is unreal. hurts us more than you know.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Jones was completely ineffective for the entire second half of the season last year. He had a looooooooong goalless slump as well. I think that it pushed 20 games.

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
I'm seriously looking forward to seeing Hartikainen up with the big club for a few weeks, but I kind of wish it was at the expense of someone else. Jones does quite a bit for the Oilers.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Jones was completely ineffective for the entire second half of the season last year. He had a looooooooong goalless slump as well. I think that it pushed 20 games.

At least he is still out there going balls out every night. Killing penalties and banging and crashing. Unlike some other players on our roster who are completely ineffective for long stretches of time and don't PK or hit anything.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Jones is excellent for us in so many ways, this hurts.

I love Harti but I do not think he will ever replace Jones' depth scoring and will be years away from being as good on the PK or... anywhere.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Unfortunate, at least it doesnt sound super serious. Im sure he will be back in time for playoffs :sarcasm:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Jones is excellent for us in so many ways, this hurts.

I love Harti but I do not think he will ever replace Jones' depth scoring and will be years away from being as good on the PK or... anywhere.
Jones has a nose for the loose puck that Harti hasn't yet displayed, but as much as I love Jones I think Harti can bring a lot of the other things you mention.
We shouldn't lose too much playing him in Jones' spot for a few weeks.

Edit - I hope Jones makes a speedy recovery

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Wingers are where the team is the deepest... so from a glass half full point of view... at least it's not a C down already. Of course Sutton and Khabi being out as well doesn't help things either.

3 hurt already (at least) and the season hasn't even begun. Who the hell forgot to sacrifice that virgin during the CBA lockout?

The Perfect Human*

Jones' injury elevates Petrell's role with the team big-time. He might be the #1 PK winger on this team, and only get to share duties with Smyth, in the case of a Jones injury.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Maybe this is slightly old news and most may know this but I was curious about Smid and didn't find a lot of confirmation (until I looked around) so to benefit all who haven't heard...

Just to confirm... just at the very tail end of the presser held by Tambo today he was asked how was Smid's knee and he said as far as he knew he was "good to go".

Also confirmation in this article...

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/04/oilers-smid-back-in-edmonton-after-czech-stint

“I had a contract there until the end of December,” Smid said. “This happen the first or second week in December. I know the doctors here so came back and I went to the doctors I know. I had an MRI on it and did some rehab at the U of A, because I couldn’t go to Rexall or see any of our trainers.

“It’s good now, I’m skating and I’m working out, so I don’t have any problems. I’m just trying to stay in shape and trying to get ready if camp starts.”

----------------------------------------------

It's good to see that he's going to be ready to go from the start of the season because he's such a critical piece to the defense.

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
Didn't you guys think Harski was a lock to make the big team even before this happened? We all now the Oilers need his size and he's shown he can play on a skill line. IMO this opens the door for MPS to make it out of training camp, at least until Jones returns.

4th line= Jones/MPS-Belanger-Eager/Hordicuk
Extra F= Eager/Hordichuk, Petrell

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think the team will likely go with 8 dmen on the roster instead of 14 forwards so I doubt both of Harti and MPS make the early season cut.

With Whitney still an uncertainty as far as how effective he'll be, J Schultz brand new to the NHL and Sutton out of the picture... I think they'll need an extra dman on hand to fill the void.

Potter, Peckham and Teubert will be the options at #6D depending on who looks the most effective early on (and who stays healthy).

Petry, Whitney and N Schultz haven't been playing during the lockout (as far as I know) which is another factor as well.

I think Harti will slot in for Jones until he comes back and MPS stays down in OKC. Harti gives the team more size and grit.

MPS doesn't have as much of that element in his game BUT it would be nice seeing MPS use his speed to draw penalties that the PP units could then feast on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad