Injury Report: Ryan Hartman

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He was playing well. Short stint but it should dispel doubts (unless you lack eyesight and a brain) that he can play in the NHL. Has the makings of a really good top 9 (3rd line player).

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He was playing well. Short stint but it should dispel doubts (unless you lack eyesight and a brain) that he can play in the NHL. Has the makings of a really good top 9 (3rd line player).

Some doofus Pred crashed into him in front of the net. Hartman got up and blocked a shot limping. He's a tough kid.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks have some nice pieces to develop. Schmaltz, Motte and Hartman. What are the odds the Hawks lose Hartman in the expansion draft if he has a decent year? Still on board with trading Pokka for another young forward with top 9 upside.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Hopefully, if not tomorrow, he will play the next game.
He was starting to look like the player that I know he can be

I hope you are right. I worry about his tendency towards untimely penalties. He did score one this year and played well, generally, in that game. His effort is always there and I respect that and root for him and, of course, hope he will be a contributor this season. But, i do wonder whether the detriment of him in the box so often will outweigh the positive contributions he makes on the ice. I hope indeed that he becomes the player you and I hope he will. And, of course, I wish him a speedy recovery.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
He has been trying to scale back his crazy play. I think they may be why he looked really complacent at the end of last season.
We will see how he does when he comes back

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He has been trying to scale back his crazy play. I think they may be why he looked really complacent at the end of last season.

Yeah. I'd love to say that Hartman is NHL ready but it's too early to judge him or any relatively new player/prospect on the roster. Take Panik, for example. Yes he scored a hat trick in game 3 and is off to a great start, but I want to see some consistency in his offensive game before I say much more. It has always been his finish that is lacking; fingers crossed that he has overcome that and is the top 6 player he appears to be.

Hartman needs to curb the reckless play but still be an effectively aggressive player. He struggled to do that last season. Some guys need to play a little crazy to survive in this league (E.G. Shaw/Tootoo)

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Yeah. I'd love to say that Hartman is NHL ready but it's too early to judge him or any relatively new player/prospect on the roster. Take Panik, for example. Yes he scored a hat trick in game 3 and is off to a great start, but I want to see some consistency in his offensive game before I say much more. It has always been his finish that is lacking; fingers crossed that he has overcome that and is the top 6 player he appears to be.

Hartman needs to curb the reckless play but still be an effectively aggressive player. He struggled to do that last season. Some guys need to play a little crazy to survive in this league (E.G. Shaw/Tootoo)

For sure. I agree. I think we can better assess how the young guys are going to do after a month or two. Still a small sample, but it is better than 2 or 3 games.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Skating today, won't play tonight but is targeting Friday

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

We need a bit of crazy on this team. We lost a lot of edge by losing Shaw.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Crazy is good. Irresponsible, stupid play is not. Hawks need the crazy minus the stupid.

Good to see he's skating, and is targeting a Friday return. I thought he was great in the games he played, and needs to be out there bringing some much-needed grit and aggressive play to the ice.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

I don't care about Shaw's crazy. What I cared about was his net front presence and some scoring. Panik has done a nice job of that.

But have you been watching? The season just started and Shaw has already been suspended for the pre-season for something dumb and cheap and should have been suspended for a very cheap slew foot at the end of a blowout game 50' away from the puck.

I loved his grit, but both of those instances went from 'dump penalty' to 'full blown cheap shot'.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't care about Shaw's crazy. What I cared about was his net front presence and some scoring. Panik has done a nice job of that.

But have you been watching? The season just started and Shaw has already been suspended for the pre-season for something dumb and cheap and should have been suspended for a very cheap slew foot at the end of a blowout game 50' away from the puck.

I loved his grit, but both of those instances went from 'dump penalty' to 'full blown cheap shot'.

The more I see Shaw play the more I realize Stan was really smart for moving him (beyond the return and lack of cap room). Shaw is a liability at think point in that now that he was paid he has no reason to reel it in. He is going to fly off the handle and get more suspensions because the line is now covered with cash.

Shaw is a solid player with a shelf life.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The more I see Shaw play the more I realize Stan was really smart for moving him (beyond the return and lack of cap room). Shaw is a liability at think point in that now that he was paid he has no reason to reel it in. He is going to fly off the handle and get more suspensions because the line is now covered with cash.

Shaw is a solid player with a shelf life.

I doubt it. Shaw isn't going to want to get suspended a lot just because he got paid. He is going to want to play every night, he'll be fine.

He is far from a liability.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I doubt it. Shaw isn't going to want to get suspended a lot just because he got paid. He is going to want to play every night, he'll be fine.

He is far from a liability.

Have you watched him this season?

Again, suspended for the pre-season and a dangerous slew foot - the cheapest of cheap shots in hockey - in a 4-1 blowout. 50' away from the puck and at the end of the game.

Apparently he's trying to make an impression with the new Habs fans. He's gone from 'dumb penalty Shaw' to 'cheap shot Shaw'.

I can dig aggressive play and sandpaper, but cheap shots are just a that. A cheap slew foot can end a season or even a career.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I suppose it depends on your definition of "liability" but Shaw absolutely 100% has always been a liability by my definition. He's effective and useful but even aside from the idiotic cheap shots he is extremely prone to taking dumb, unnecessary penalties at terrible times. How many offensive zone penalties did we see over the years? You take the good and the bad with Shaw. Always have, always will. He's off to a particularly dumb start for Montreal but he's also scored a goal or two, so, see how the rest of the season goes for him.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I suppose it depends on your definition of "liability" but Shaw absolutely 100% has always been a liability by my definition. He's effective and useful but even aside from the idiotic cheap shots he is extremely prone to taking dumb, unnecessary penalties at terrible times. How many offensive zone penalties did we see over the years? You take the good and the bad with Shaw. Always have, always will. He's off to a particularly dumb start for Montreal but he's also scored a goal or two, so, see how the rest of the season goes for him.

We share a very similar definition.

I think a Shaw-type changes the rhythm of a game, his volatility keeps things from getting stagnant. Changing the game doesn't mean good or bad, it's just different. To me, the value is the different looks he gives opponents allowing Q to win the matchup game against the opposition. He was a good depth option (not a lynchpin for the fwds). On his own, I don't think he was making the team any better or worse after his ELC expired. Used correctly or on a given roster, he helps sporadically like any depth option.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I can finally watch a Blackhawks game in peace tonight. No more peaking over my shoulder to see how the Cubs are doing.

Yes ... I made a pledge to not watch a Cubs playoff game live until they make the World Series. I made it in '98 ... and then gave in ... only to race home from work to watch (had an all night pitchbook to finish) the start of the 7th inning of game 6 in 2003. Then I gave in again and watched the Daniel Murphy debacle last year at Citi! I'm staying strong this time. No Cubs until the World Series.

How the heck did this get in the Hartman thread? Well, I hope Hartman's back tonight.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
We share a very similar definition.

I think a Shaw-type changes the rhythm of a game, his volatility keeps things from getting stagnant. Changing the game doesn't mean good or bad, it's just different. To me, the value is the different looks he gives opponents allowing Q to win the matchup game against the opposition. He was a good depth option (not a lynchpin for the fwds). On his own, I don't think he was making the team any better or worse after his ELC expired. Used correctly or on a given roster, he helps sporadically like any depth option.

Exactly. Shaw should not have been on the PP in Chicago but in the PO's he was one player who you knew would step up his game and be a factor. He's a perfect example of a player who overachieves with his character and willingness to compete. Until someone can step up in the bottom 6 to replace him, he will be missed. I'm not holding my breath but hopefully it will be Hartman one day soon, and by crunch time. For now Tootoo is doing an adequate job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad