Confirmed with Link: Ryan Carpenter to Calgary, 5th Round Pick (2024) to Chicago

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
This dude has less than half of Ruzicka's 5v5 primary points (4 vs 9) this season despite getting x2.6 the amount of time on ice. Subtraction by addition.
Offense isn’t the reason we brought in Carpenter, all reports have him listed as a ++ defensive forward with + PK skills. He also plays a hard nosed grinding style. That isn’t a role Ruzicka can be expected to fill at all. His offense is great but his defensive play and consistency isn’t where Sutter wants it yet and he still has a habit of getting pinned in his own zone. Sutter also flat out came out and said he doesn’t want Ruzicka playing on the 4th line.

It‘s more like Jarnkrok was brought in to replace Ruzicka, and Carpenter is brought in to replace Ritchie, Richardson, and any other 4th liner who needs to sit a game.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
This dude has less than half of Ruzicka's 5v5 primary points (4 vs 9) this season despite getting x2.6 the amount of time on ice. Subtraction by addition.
I mean, they fill completely different roles. Ruzicka is injury depth now for a top 9 centre going down, and while I think they could fit him in now, that's his spot. Carpenter is a replacement grind line forward that is a Richardson/Ritchie/Lewis incumbent--heavy, experienced, and can penalty kill. Realistically they could run something like, Lucic - Ruzicka - Carpenter, but they've outright said that Ruzicka being on the 4th line is a waste, and that if he isn't on the 3rd line + it's better to just learn in Stockton. Not sure if I fully agree with that but it's what has been said

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Another right handed center, seem to be collecting them. I dont mind this trade, physical depth for the playoffs.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Can someone explain to me why Brad Richardson got waived? Seems like a lateral move at best.
I suspect they were looking for a bit of roster flexibility down the stretch and figured nobody would put in a claim on a 37 year old

Exception that everyone underestimated the pettiness of the Canucks org.

Still a slight upgrade so there’s that.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
I mean, they fill completely different roles. Ruzicka is injury depth now for a top 9 centre going down, and while I think they could fit him in now, that's his spot. Carpenter is a replacement grind line forward that is a Richardson/Ritchie/Lewis incumbent--heavy, experienced, and can penalty kill. Realistically they could run something like, Lucic - Ruzicka - Carpenter, but they've outright said that Ruzicka being on the 4th line is a waste, and that if he isn't on the 3rd line + it's better to just learn in Stockton. Not sure if I fully agree with that but it's what has been said
Honestly, with a playoff spot all but locked up, I don't mind having the kids get in a Calder cup run before being called up as black aces. Playing big minutes in that atmosphere should be just as valuable as playing 10-12 minutes lugging around the corpses of Looch and Monahan. We don't want to Sam Bennett these kids.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
A good pick up. I would have preferred to keep Brad around and maybe pickup a depth D, but Carpenter is an upgrade is mnay respects. Younger, defensively responsible, likes to hit, speedy enough that he could play 4C, or anywhere from 4RW to 2RW.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Can someone explain to me why Brad Richardson got waived? Seems like a lateral move at best.

I suspect they were looking for a bit of roster flexibility down the stretch and figured nobody would put in a claim on a 37 year old

Exception that everyone underestimated the pettiness of the Canucks org.

Still a slight upgrade so there’s that.
I imagine it was cap flexibility more than anything. Gave them a little bit of room if they added a depth defenseman.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
A good pick up. I would have preferred to keep Brad around and maybe pickup a depth D, but Carpenter is an upgrade is mnay respects. Younger, defensively responsible, likes to hit, speedy enough that he could play 4C, or anywhere from 4RW to 2RW.
We are screwed if he plays 2RW

Depth player……good to have but can’t play too many of those at the same time

Reactions: Dertell

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Tre said yesterday that they were discussing Carpenter before waiwing Richardson, so it's possible he was waived to make room for Carpenter.
Can never have too much depth. Its interesting how 3/4 of the Flames centers are now righties though.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
We are screwed if he plays 2RW
He'd be a 2RW the same way Lewis was for us earlier. Not exactly playing 2RW, but can be there for a spot if we're looking for a hard shut-down line with Backlund

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Tre said yesterday that they were discussing Carpenter before waiwing Richardson, so it's possible he was waived to make room for Carpenter.

Perhaps, but I would assume it's a good idea not to consider it was plan A. I think what Tre was looking at was that he liked guys like Carpenter, but we already had them in Lewis/Richardson etc. I think he waived Richardson to grab the extra cap space for a 1.5MM TDL movement as flexibility and take advantage of a taxi squad type of scenario. But when Richardson was claimed and there wasn't really a good depth dman or other options available, he blew the space on Carpenter as a plan C kind of thing to backfill/upgrade the role/utilize the flexibility he had created in the first place. I also don't think it was a problem to have both Carpenter and Richardson as a taxi squad type of scenario for injuries in the playoffs, so "both" was also perhaps an option if other deals fell through or didn't make sense.

I think it was for cap flexibility in general. I don't believe it was specific to waiving him to acquire Carpenter (ie: Depth dman), but another theory is that we would have been OK with both guys as depth options in our bottom 6 for injuries.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
That makes the most sense to me. Not specifically Richardson being waived for Carpenter, but it was a set of contingencies. For example, Flames look at their roster and say that out of Stone, Ritchie, and Richardson, the latter has the least value and could probably go unclaimed (we know they're comfortably running 8D as well), and that even if claimed, Richardson is replaceable. Then Treliving can enter the deadline under a couple pretenses:
1. go after strong #5/6/7 depth LHD (Kulak, etc.)
2. look at potential RHD depth is that goes awry (Braun, etc.)
3. if no space is used on defence, look at forward options (Cogliano, maybe Lehkonen, Carpenter)
4. If all else fails, re-call Richardson
5. if Richardson is claimed, re-call Froese/Kirkland at no loss to be a 14th forward/look to the farm in general.

The main gambit being, ideally Richardson doesn't get claimed, and the Flames get slightly better Richardson in Carpenter, and have 16 forwards they are comfortably playing in the playoffs that would have seen playing time in the regular season. Now they are down to 15, which isnt all that bad either.

Reactions: Fig
Sep 13, 2009
Bottom line, a first place team with Stanley Cup aspirations has no business putting guys on waivers. Treliving f'd up!

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That makes the most sense to me. Not specifically Richardson being waived for Carpenter, but it was a set of contingencies. For example, Flames look at their roster and say that out of Stone, Ritchie, and Richardson, the latter has the least value and could probably go unclaimed (we know they're comfortably running 8D as well), and that even if claimed, Richardson is replaceable. Then Treliving can enter the deadline under a couple pretenses:
1. go after strong #5/6/7 depth LHD (Kulak, etc.)
2. look at potential RHD depth is that goes awry (Braun, etc.)
3. if no space is used on defence, look at forward options (Cogliano, maybe Lehkonen, Carpenter)
4. If all else fails, re-call Richardson
5. if Richardson is claimed, re-call Froese/Kirkland at no loss to be a 14th forward/look to the farm in general.

The main gambit being, ideally Richardson doesn't get claimed, and the Flames get slightly better Richardson in Carpenter, and have 16 forwards they are comfortably playing in the playoffs that would have seen playing time in the regular season. Now they are down to 15, which isnt all that bad either.
Where is the 15 coming from? We have 9 maybe 10 competent forwards.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Where is the 15 coming from? We have 9 maybe 10 competent forwards.
What I mean by that is "players Sutter is comfortable playing." He's clearly alright with Monahan/Lucic/Ruzicka/Ritchie/Lewis, was alright with Richardson, and is alright now with Carpenter, presumably. So the top 9, 5 interchangeable "meh" to bad forwards, and Ruzicka are who I'd put on that list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad