RW Tyler Boucher - Belleville Senators, AHL (2021, 10th, OTT)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Almost every source had him outside the first round. The single one that did, had him going late in the first, where there's as good of a chance at going in the 1st as the 2nd.

Conclude what you like, but he went 10th and shouldn't have. The end.
Those sources you mention are not reliable measures of what NHL teams do.

He's exactly the type of player that NHL teams will value more than fans with a draft list on a website like this.

No one cares what any of us think. We can prefer the player with more points who has little chance for their scoring to translate to the NHL. NHL teams when it matters choose traits that translate to the NHL. Boucher has those. Thats why he will be higher on their lists, and lower on the lists from websites you reference.

I got nothing against the lists from all those publications you reference, but what they think doesn't really replicate what would be over-drafting for actual NHL teams.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Okay let’s ignore great and at least start with “playing ok”. A like 17pt pace ain’t that
You said ECHL lol, it was a dumb comment that you made based on a weak premise. Just let it be. You havent watch him at all and dont know almost anything about him but wanted to make a little comment…I called it out as the foolishness it is… move on. Citing the same stat over and over doesnt move the needle.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You said ECHL lol, it was a dumb comment that you made based on a weak premise. Just let it be. You havent watch him at all and dont know almost anything about him but wanted to make a little comment…I called it out as the foolishness it is… move on. Citing the same stat over and over doesnt move the needle.
I said he’s playing at an ECHL level. What would you call sub 20pt pace? There’s guys who’ve played in the ECHL with the same or better

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
This site needs more posts like this.
Ha, cheers and thanks.

I took out an AHLTV account when he made his return this season so I could assess for myself. I get that stats are what most people have to go off but they can be so misleading. Boucher has an uphill battle but there is so much more to dissect than just the stat lines.

The list of players who have eventually made the NHL either later than expected or in spite of their Jr and AHL stats is very long. To speak with any certainty about Boucher at this stage in his career without watching him isn't very smart and definitely doesn't do a site like this any favours.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Repeating the same dumb argument doesnt make it not dumb.
I’m asking you, do you think that’s an even half decent AHlL forward?

Ha, cheers and thanks.

I took out an AHLTV account when he made his return this season so I could assess for myself. I get that stats are what most people have to go off but they can be so misleading. Boucher has an uphill battle but there is so much more to dissect than just the stat lines.

The list of players who have eventually made the NHL either later than expected or in spite of their Jr and AHL stats is very long. To speak with any certainty about Boucher at this stage in his career without watching him isn't very smart and definitely doesn't do a site like this any favours.
How many were top 10picks though who weren’t seen as massive project players (aka late/unstaffed players)?

Part of the draw for Boucher was he had “pro ready” tools.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

How many were top 10picks though who weren’t seen as massive project players (aka late/unstaffed players)?

I do not think if he were to go back into the draft as he was right now in his development and played another year in juniors/ntdp he would be a first round pick coming up at this draft.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yes lol. He clearly belongs and contributes at the AHL level. I watched the games, though, so theres not really anything for us to discuss…

Hilariously wrong

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yes lol. He clearly belongs and contributes at the AHL level. I watched the games, though, so theres not really anything for us to discuss…

Hilariously wrong
Good shot, great speed, strong forecheck, physical play is his thing, already NHL size… again, one of the biggest pros for him was his NHL ready TOOLS.

It’s his non existent hockey IQ that’s holding him back from being anything.

Good for him on contributing some hits and PIM though, that would have worked wonders in 2002.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Good shot, great speed, strong forecheck, physical play is his thing, already NHL size… again, one of the biggest pros for him was his NHL ready TOOLS.

It’s his non existent hockey IQ that’s holding him back from being anything.

Good for him on contributing some hits and PIM though, that would have worked wonders in 2002.
Again, hilariously off base. You know almost nothing about the player

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Please show me the scouting reports talking about hockey IQ being a great asset for him or that his tools/body aren’t as pro ready as any prospect in that draft.

I’ll wait. I can find you plenty that show the complete opposite.
Wow, 4 year old scouting reports AND 20 games of simple stats?

Even if you were spot on, there is no benefit to talking about a player with someone they have not ever seen play. The fact that you are so off base is just giving me something to laugh at. Awful.

Boucher is extremely raw and was always seen as a project. His IQ is not his top strength but it is one of his more NHL-quality traits. Certainly not his biggest flaw lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: nbwingsfan

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Wow, 4 year old scouting reports AND 20 games of simple stats?

Even if you were spot on, there is no benefit to talking about a player with someone they have not ever seen play. The fact that you are so off base is just giving me something to laugh at. Awful.

Boucher is extremely raw and was always seen as a project. His IQ is not his top strength but it is one of his more NHL-quality traits. Certainly not his biggest flaw lol
Reach on draft day and has fallen way behind his draft class… maybe he can play 200 games at eight minutes a night for four different franchises over a decade long span I suppose. Good luck to him.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Reach on draft day and has fallen way behind his draft class… maybe he can play 200 games at eight minutes a night for four different franchises over a decade long span I suppose. Good luck to him.
Ok, and why are you telling me this? If you gave me your post as an over/under, I would have a very hard time justifying a single dollar on the over. Literally all Ive said is he doesnt belong in the ECHL :laugh:.

There is a TON to knock Boucher on, that guy just happened to pick stupid reasons.

Man, what a thread…

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I do not think if he were to go back into the draft as he was right now in his development and played another year in juniors/ntdp he would be a first round pick coming up at this draft.
The plan was for him to go to BU and develop in university, not play major junior, which he went to after he left BU following a short, putrid stint there.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

The draft slot in which Tyler Boucher was taken is of no consequence whatsoever to his potential of making the NHL. Comments like that belong in a thread about Pierre Dorion and the SENS scouting department. #10 has absolutely nothing to do with Tyler Boucher's game, zero. It's just a number. Let it go.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just so everyone can be aware of what’s actually happening with Boucher, he was injured on Wednesday.

Before then, he was playing on the fourth line, but the reports suggested he was playing well.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Just so everyone can be aware of what’s actually happening with Boucher, he was injured on Wednesday.

Before then, he was playing on the fourth line, but the reports suggested he was playing well.
Allegedly, the Rangers baited the Senators into taking Boucher at 10. Rangers were rumored to really liking Boucher, Senators had to pounce him there, probably couldn't find a trade back that they liked.

Crazy how the Rangers also baited the Flyers into taking colossal bust Jay O'Brien far higher than he was ranked back in 2018. Rangers were rumored to love O'Brien, Flyers couldn't trade back.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Allegedly, the Rangers baited the Senators into taking Boucher at 10. Rangers were rumored to really liking Boucher, Senators had to pounce him there, probably couldn't find a trade back that they liked.

Crazy how the Rangers also baited the Flyers into taking colossal bust Jay O'Brien far higher than he was ranked back in 2018. Rangers were rumored to love O'Brien, Flyers couldn't trade back.
I dunno what you mean by "baited". The next Ottawa pick was 39th. They would have had to figure if they didn't take him at 10 that someone was likely to take him between picks 12-38 (there was no pick 11 that year). When I think of "baiting" I think of teams trading up to get "their guy" because they get spooked that someone else is going to take him before they hit their natural pick.

If Ottawa entered the Draft hoping to target Boucher at 39, and then got wind of the Rangers plot to draft Boucher at 16 and so drafted Boucher at 10, that would mean that they were higher on the player they were targeting 39 more so than the player they were targeting at 10 (which is still early enough in the Draft that you should be able to plot out the 1 or 2 players you would take there depending on the shakeout from 6-9). If they didn't judge Boucher as better than their initial targets at 10, they would just tip their cap and say "ok they were high on him, who else are we targeting in the 2nd round?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

Know what's crazy? Believing "rumors" to be true all the time.

This was a case of the Sens scouting staff/management thinking they were smarter than everyone else due to these guys played limited games. They swung, they missed, end of story. So did most teams in this draft.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Strictly out of curiosity, what was it that compelled the Senators to sign him to an ELC in December 2021? It doesn't seem that at that point he had shown enough to merit a contract and they had until 2023 to make a decision.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Know what's crazy? Believing "rumors" to be true all the time.

This was a case of the Sens scouting staff/management thinking they were smarter than everyone else due to these guys played limited games. They swung, they missed, end of story. So did most teams in this draft.
Outside of Ceulemans and kind of Lambos (and obviously Boucher) who else is lagging drastically behind in the first round for you to come to the conclusion that “most” teams missed?

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Please show me the scouting reports talking about hockey IQ being a great asset for him or that his tools/body aren’t as pro ready as any prospect in that draft.

I’ll wait. I can find you plenty that show the complete opposite.

So many posts just to say you haven’t watched him play this year, while commenting on his play this year, and arguing with a guy who has watched all his games.
Bravo! Peak HF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad