RW Teemu Pulkkinen (2010, 111th overall, Detroit) II

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
17725011-mmmain.jpg

Blashill had some comments about his transition to the NHL posted by MLive.

"I think he gets away with some things at this level that you don't get at the next level, and one of those is earning the coach's trust," Blashill said. "When you are random a little bit in how you play, you don't earn the coach's trust and you don't get out there as much.

"He's earned my trust over time because he can sometimes outscore his mistakes, but you will never outscore your mistakes at the next level. But he's made huge strides in that.

"Two things I love about him – he's an extremely competitive person who works extremely hard, and he has a special ability. When you do those things, you'll have long-term success, I believe."

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2015/05/teemu_pulkkinen_has_three-goal.html

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
He's been a part of several trade proposals and also in the "leaked" Phaneuf trade, think the Wings would actually trade him? I think most teams would have at least a little interest in him. Though it'd be a terrible shame if he started to break scoring records in some other team.

Is there a consensus on what line he'd play in the Wings next season?

splot

Jun 12, 2014
He's been a part of several trade proposals and also in the "leaked" Phaneuf trade, think the Wings would actually trade him? I think most teams would have at least a little interest in him. Though it'd be a terrible shame if he started to break scoring records in some other team.

Is there a consensus on what line he'd play in the Wings next season?
Would surprise me greatly if he didn't start on the third line (unless he gets traded).

If he plays like he did last year it'll be the pressbox though, he has to step up considerably to be a NHL player.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Call me biased,call me what ever,i don't care.
Ive been repeating this all season long (not in so many words,nor here)

heres the truth: ...again

AHL sure,he is at AHL level not NHL level
but you know what,its not about the level,not at this point,not anymore.

He isn't some 17,18 year old junior,he is 23 year old man (24 when 15-16 gets going)
He has played pro hockey since 2009.

For Grand Rapids Griffins, Teemu is the star player,
the go to guy,his line mates,d-men pass him the puck
all times.

Teemu gets top minutes,top line mates,tactic is build around him,
that's why he scores tons of goals,he plays as much he wants
and the role he want's. its not about the level

(not comparison,example)

A Ovechkin,why he scores so many goals? A: one heck of a player,
sure,but that's just half the truth,the other truth;read above

Put Ovie to 4th line with 7 minutes,maybe 1 minute of PP,
0+0 almost every night,maybe score goal here,goal there
once in a while.

its not about the level

just couple(two) of examples: Tarasenko,Kopitar
follow the IIHF Worlds a bit and you know what i mean

You need 3 things; role,right line mates,ice time.

I could of written (was about to,(ready for))an essay about this stuff
compared dozens of players,different seasons(reasons),
situations,but instead i'm gonna finish with 3 words;

NOT ABOUT LEVEL

PS. like it or hate it (this post,me) its what it is.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
Call me biased,call me what ever,i don't care.
Ive been repeating this all season long (not in so many words,nor here)

heres the truth: ...again

AHL sure,he is at AHL level not NHL level
but you know what,its not about the level,not at this point,not anymore.

He isn't some 17,18 year old junior,he is 23 year old man (24 when 15-16 gets going)
He has played pro hockey since 2009.

For Grand Rapids Griffins, Teemu is the star player,
the go to guy,his line mates,d-men pass him the puck
all times.

Teemu gets top minutes,top line mates,tactic is build around him,
that's why he scores tons of goals,he plays as much he wants
and the role he want's. its not about the level

(not comparison,example)

A Ovechkin,why he scores so many goals? A: one heck of a player,
sure,but that's just half the truth,the other truth;read above

Put Ovie to 4th line with 7 minutes,maybe 1 minute of PP,
0+0 almost every night,maybe score goal here,goal there
once in a while.

its not about the level

just couple(two) of examples: Tarasenko,Kopitar
follow the IIHF Worlds a bit and you know what i mean

You need 3 things; role,right line mates,ice time.

I could of written (was about to,(ready for))an essay about this stuff
compared dozens of players,different seasons(reasons),
situations,but instead i'm gonna finish with 3 words;

NOT ABOUT LEVEL

PS. like it or hate it (this post,me) its what it is.
Yeah, except for that Pulkkinen never was on the 4th line, and always got plenty of pp time. True, he spent the majority of his time on the 3rd line, but he was given plenty of opportunity to play on the 1st/2nd line later on and it was a disaster and he ended up in the pressbox.

If you watched the games you'd see that his team mates were doing every thing they could to make him succeed, he got the puck in the offensive zone so much. Unfortunately, NHL is on another level of the AHL even if you'd like to argue otherwise. You're just not given the same amount of space and he suffered greatly from it. The amount of blocked shots he had was unreal and most of the ones he got off was released so slowly the goalkeepers had all the time in the world to make the routine saves.

I'm still very concerned that his skating is not going to be good enough for the NHL, his top speed is fine but he's just not a very agile skater. His lateral movement is crap and he ends up turning over the puck so very often.

With all that said I still think that Pulkkinen can be a good top 6 player in the NHL. His potential upside is huge, but he has to adjust to the lack of space given to him. What he's done this season in the AHL is extraordinary, I just really hate when people claim that he played so well up with Detroit when that clearly wasn't the case. He was given way more opportunity to succeed than Tatar/Nyquist was in similar situations and did much worse.

Either way, we will see how it goes next season. There's no way he's not playing for a NHL team next year. Might not be Detroit if they want to go after a D man in the off season, but he will play for some team.

The only valid point you made is that Detroit under Babcock might not be the best situation for him. Pulkkinens undoing wasn't his lack of points in the end, it was that he didn't win puck battles along the board. Babcock is going to play someone like Glendening or Andersson over Pulkkinen every time if you don't win those at least half the time.

I don't think its too far fetched to say that he could do better in another system much like Hudler did. I see a lot of similarities between them, though Pulkkinen is obviously more of a sniper and Hudler has better hands, they both have poor skating abilities and doesn't do too well along the boards.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
A bunch of text spewing the odd hate people have for Pulkks

First his PP time, at least the last 2/3rds of games he played in, was spent as a net front player. Babcock was playing him outside his comfort zone. Why? I have no idea. Also you can say players were trying to get him the puck, but when it's Andersson or Glendening doing it, don't expect miracles. Finally his scoring isn't out of line compared to Nyquist and Tatar in their first stints in the NHL. So I would say until we see how next season goes, I wouldn't count Pulkks out, as he has proven himself at every level so far.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
First his PP time, at least the last 2/3rds of games he played in, was spent as a net front player. Babcock was playing him outside his comfort zone. Why? I have no idea. Also you can say players were trying to get him the puck, but when it's Andersson or Glendening doing it, don't expect miracles. Finally his scoring isn't out of line compared to Nyquist and Tatar in their first stints in the NHL. So I would say until we see how next season goes, I wouldn't count Pulkks out, as he has proven himself at every level so far.

It was spent in the high slot, nowhere near the net front. Now yes he couldn't get open and the box stayed tight, blame the other Wings or blame Pulkkinen for being unable to find space. This linemate argument doesn't scan as much as people hope. Pulkkinen didn't play well in Detroit that was his problem. He too often misjudged time and space and will have to get better at his release because NHL defenders are the best in the world at taking lanes away and have the most active sticks in hockey.

I believe he will get better, I think he learned a lot. He has some dynamic talent and will have to figure out more things along the way. But you don't rewrite your offensive philosophies around the guy until he plays better at that level. Obviously you do with the way he performs at the AHL level as Blashill has eluded to. We will see, he is a promising guy, but there doesn't need to be a huge excuse factor he was rightfully benched down the stretch and has things to work on. I have no doubt he will, he has been a steadily improving guy for a while now.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
what the ???

did you even watch the games.. he was on many games voted as the best wing, go see the fan polls. with limited ice time and couple of chances on pp playing high slot, which was idiotic.

I see the situation, as holland said to use pulkkinen on pp, but babs didn't want to, so he put him in a position where nobody has success in.

The swedish hate on the boards toward a offensive super power finn is amazing. Pulkkinen is THE best goals scorer in wings system now. MARK MY WORDS.

Look at the comments abouv, people trying find weaknesses and man are they trying, babs said many times pulks is an nhl player.

and yes I'm an investment banker, so don't question me...:D

Anchor Town*

Some people don't know the difference between being in front of the net (a la the Tomas Holmstrom role) and being the +1 in a box +1?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Swedes hating our player? Surprise :sarcasm:

He scores again. Twice. Almost goal per game in regullar season in AHL,
more than goal per game in the playoffs. I don't value AHL too high, but putting up the kind of dominating scores Teemu has done is really big achievement in that league. Those North American boys and opponent coaching aren't letting him to do it free.

Pulkkinen is very likely to be a very great player. Swedes won't have as good sniper for example ;)

He said in the Finnish MTV news earlier when he played up, that his role is just to make sure no goals goes into his own net, not to score, in the NHL that is. I think they have been training him to play both ways, and he'll get his role later again. They want to teach him two way game more, not just hand him the #1 forward title right away as a kid.

Last edited:

Anchor Town*

He scores again. Twice. Almost goal per game in regullar season in AHL,
more than goal per game in the playoffs.

It's Monday, he hasn't played since Friday. What the hell are you talking about?

Anchor Town*

Anyways let's get this back on track. Can his game translate to the NHL level?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He plays with energy like Tatar does in the NHL. He's actually a pretty shifty player. He's already an NHL player playing in the AHL because he can according to the rules. The problem for him is Wings really don't need 3 of Tatar, Nyquist and Pulkinnen so I think one can/should be used in a trade package. My question is who should be the odd man out?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The problem for him is Wings really don't need 3 of Tatar, Nyquist and Pulkinnen so I think one can/should be used in a trade package.

True. Also all those guys are young and need to play in their natural role.. a trade could be benefit of them as well. I think Nyqvist has really high value now. Pulks could have surprisingly high trade value too after scoring that much in the A.

I wouldn't mind Ducks trying Pulkkinen in the top line with Getz and Perry or in the 2nd with Kesler if we could have him. As a Finland fan and Ducks fan I would actually love it.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Anyways let's get this back on track. Can his game translate to the NHL level?

It can and it probably will. But he is not strong enough all-around to carry a line. He needs a good defensive center. But then again, all goalscoring RW's wan't a good defensive center. :laugh:

I think Pulkkinen has a chance at crafting a solid NHL career and maybe even have few "star-like" seasons. Waiting eagerly for next season where he will most likely get bit more responsibility and ice-time.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
True. Also all those guys are young and need to play in their natural role.. a trade could be benefit of them as well. I think Nyqvist has really high value now. Pulks could have surprisingly high trade value too after scoring that much in the A.

I wouldn't mind Ducks trying Pulkkinen in the top line with Getz and Perry or in the 2nd with Kesler if we could have him. As a Finland fan and Ducks fan I would actually love it.

Pulkkinen to Ducks? Yes please. :D

But how would he fit with Perry and Getzlaf? Can Teemu slot himself in LW?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Pulkkinen to Ducks? Yes please. :D

But how would he fit with Perry and Getzlaf? Can Teemu slot himself in LW?

I'm not sure how hard is the translation from wing to another. At least not nearly as bad as trying to play center. It's almost the same, just mirror skating lines ect for what I know, which ins't NHL-much.

Getz and Perry are so good with the puck and so big, I think that kind of players (in general) would open Pulkkinen chances in the NHL, too. With those two in the ducks, not as big player like Pulks could play bit like "the" Teemu, who didin't really dominate opponents with the puck being a puckhog, instead just put the goals in from chances with a good % and gave easy passes, rebound shots to good players who scored. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad