RW Teemu Pulkkinen (2010, 111th overall, Detroit) II

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Truthfully, one of the main reasons I've never ever given up on Pulk. I remember at draft he dropped to the 4th round after being a pre-season top 10 pick, then the injury concerns, one-dimensional playing style, etc...., all doubts people had about him.

But there was one thing, he ALWAYS produced no matter where he played, & players like that are special. He has that ability to adapt to his surrounds evidenced by his AHL #s (going from euro ice to NA ice) while some people may want that to translate immediately to NHL producing, just be patient and success will follow!

Bold Prediction:

When its all said & done, we'll be comparing Teemu's one-timer velocity/accuracy with the Ovechkin/Stamkos/Kovalchuck group of players

Yeah it was crazy how it was even impossible for someone to drop that far. When you have enough skill, even with injury conserns teams easily can take gambles with late 2nd round picks and even more so with 3th round ones. Ah well, the Wings got really lucky there I guess. By that I mean he was rather well known asset unlike Datsyuk f.ex. who apparently wasn't in any radar apart from Detroit's by the time he was picked.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Its crazy hes already 23... I mean obviously the way Detroit produces players and patience works for them but I get so antsy waiting for these guys to play in NHL!

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
If you want to be a Red Wings draft steal, you have to be European and especially at the most 5'11" tall, 6 feet height seems to be some sort of cutoff (if the metric system were used, it would be 1,80m - a tad smaller); perhaps Athanasiou becomes some sort of exception.

Anyway, Pulkkinen has almost constantly progessed since being drafted and improved his once-perceived weaknesses. He already benefits from Franzens injury and Weiss' inconsistency and certainly will next season, obviously even more so than the Red Wings' brass expected.

Gruß,
BSHH

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If you want to be a Red Wings draft steal, you have to be European and especially at the most 5'11" tall, 6 feet height seems to be some sort of cutoff (if the metric system were used, it would be 1,80m - a tad smaller); perhaps Athanasiou becomes some sort of exception.

Anyway, Pulkkinen has almost constantly progessed since being drafted and improved his once-perceived weaknesses. He already benefits from Franzens injury and Weiss' inconsistency and certainly will next season, obviously even more so than the Red Wings' brass expected.

Gruß,
BSHH

Pulkkinen was considered a top draft prospect the year he was drafted. His wrist injury made him drop hard. Some people were saying he was the best Finnish forward since Jari Kurri so the hype was real.

This post was pretty funny, though.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=21690298&postcount=210

Last edited by a moderator:

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Pulkkinen was considered a top draft prospect the year he was drafted. His injury made him drop hard.

He still played over 50 games in his draft season if count every game he played ( FEL, U20, U20 playoffs, youth National team etc. ). I was pretty sure that Minnesota would have used one of their 2nd round picks on him (we had three). Very happy for him and his development.

I also remember him being a 2nd overall in one professional drafting site with only Taylor Hall ahead of him. I think it was after the 2009 U18 WHC.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Pulkkinen was considered a top draft prospect the year he was drafted. His wrist injury made him drop hard. Some people were saying he was the best Finnish forward since Jari Kurri so the hype was real.

This post was pretty funny, though.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=21690298&postcount=210

Yep the Red Wings look for those players that have top end talent and work ethic but have fallen through the cracks for whatever reason (injury, defects in their game, etc.). They then coach and develop those players.

RickyR

Dec 8, 2013
2 goals so far, 3rd period.

I guess it's time to send him down for more seasoning...

XO

Nov 4, 2009
2 goals so far, 3rd period.

I guess it's time to send him down for more seasoning...

I don't understand the people who complain on Red Wings for developing their players patiently. It's been proven very successful over the years. Too many prospects are rushed into the NHL when they aren't nearly ready/complete players and then they stagnate.

When Pulkkinen came over he had ALOT to work on, Red Wings have developed him perfectly making him a more complete player than he would ever become in most other teams.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
I don't understand the people who complain on Red Wings for developing their players patiently. It's been proven very successful over the years. Too many prospects are rushed into the NHL when they aren't nearly ready/complete players and then they stagnate.

When Pulkkinen came over he had ALOT to work on, Red Wings have developed him perfectly making him a more complete player than he would ever become in most other teams.
For a perennial contender, it is also a mere necessity that you can only include those prospects who are both NHL ready and do not need to receive a lot of TOI anymore, since the internal competition usually is rather fierce. Even Pulkkinen, who already lit up the AHL, needed some games to adjust to the NHL.

Gruß,
BSHH

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I really hope he is able to fully adjust to the NHL because he is an absolute weapon offensively.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
If we put him on some kind of strength program this summer, nyquist should join in, maybe he can win more board battles next year and babs won't sit him. It's the only thing holding him back, that and the little less time he has to take his shots in the nhl.

Last edited:

Selannne

Mar 9, 2015
How many players has been too good,or I mean totally destroyed the Ahl and still not good enough for Nhl? Isn't that pretty strange?

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
How many players has been too good,or I mean totally destroyed the Ahl and still not good enough for Nhl? Isn't that pretty strange?

He is good enough. The Red Wings have done this with Nyquist and Tatar as well. Give them a taste, let them go back and dominate the AHL, then eventually bring them up for good. Pulkkinen is out of options next season because he won't be waiver exempt anymore so expect him to be a fixture in the lineup.

Neither Nyquist or Tatar dominated to this extent but all three took the same road which is playing a few games one season, more the next, then a permanent role. Looking forward to seeing what the holy slapper can do next season.

hindude24

Jul 17, 2013
Michigan
He is good enough. The Red Wings have done this with Nyquist and Tatar as well. Give them a taste, let them go back and dominate the AHL, then eventually bring them up for good. Pulkkinen is out of options next season because he won't be waiver exempt anymore so expect him to be a fixture in the lineup.

Neither Nyquist or Tatar dominated to this extent but all three took the same road which is playing a few games one season, more the next, then a permanent role. Looking forward to seeing what the holy slapper can do next season.

You can see the same development going even further back with helm and abdelkader. I just hope his skill set translates to the nhl.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
People will say he has no chance at being good in the NHL because he's already 23 and completely forget the history of Red Wings players over the last 15 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad