RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I just don't see it happening whatever Laine does. .

--

Laine will be the youngest Finnish player to play in mens national team in 67 years if he plays next week.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
If Matthews was a generational talent it wouldn't matter wether Laine was the MVP in the WC or whatever. But he isn't, so anything is possible and there already are scouts who think Laine is the better one out of the two. Matthews still is the favourite, but I'll rather wait, see and enjoy the show until the draft day is upon us.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Wow, i'm suprised to see him being serious candidate for WC's. I would be actually watching these games if he plays.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What I mean is, doesn't the rest of this season and the whole season altogether mean still something? I agree that if the draft was right now, then Matthews would be most likely the number one pick. But do you really say that nothing that still happens this season can't change the outcome? If this is how you really see it, then you must see Matthews as very much better player than Laine right now. If this the case I can't understand it.

Matthews has scored 9+4=13 points in 8 games after WJC.

Laine is getting hot, but so is Matthews. The guy who is dropping out from their pace, is Puljujärvi, even though he has been better also.

The Top2 looks to be more clearer and clearer as the season goes on. Debates should concentrate who goes at 3rd overall.

strat1

Jan 14, 2016
The Top2 looks to be more clearer and clearer as the season goes on. Debates should concentrate who goes at 3rd overall.

Puljujärvi it is. It looks like pulju is having problems with his body and coordination because of growth spurt. I think that he has better tools to become an elite player more than laine. Yeah laine is better atm but let's wait to the autumn. And also his working morale is something unbelievable :amazed:

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Fun fact: He has 0 penalty minutes in 33 games while playing about 17 minutes in a game.

He has one minor in his whole Liiga career in 39 games.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
He didn't get points today :(. I didn't watch the game, any insight? How did he look like in today's game?

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Didn't watch the game, but looking at the scoresheet he didn't look good.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Watched some of the 3rd period. Was on the ice when Tappara scored the 3-1 goal. He wasn't on the ice a lot, short shifts and the 3-3 goal was scored just after he went to bench.

Was good some of the shifts what I saw, but maybe someone watched the whole game.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
From the bits I was able to watch with my crappy internet, he had some nice chances. Not really a bad game, everyone goes pointless at times.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What I mean is, doesn't the rest of this season and the whole season altogether mean still something? I agree that if the draft was right now, then Matthews would be most likely the number one pick. But do you really say that nothing that still happens this season can't change the outcome? If this is how you really see it, then you must see Matthews as very much better player than Laine right now. If this the case I can't understand it.

That I would agree at the moment that Matthews has a clearly more balanced game than Laine, but I don't see the difference even there huge at least. And I still think that Laine is also ahead of Matthews with his shot, his strength and his will and ability to score in clutch situations. Because of these things I see him already as a better player than Matthews. I can still very well understand people seeing Matthews as the better player right now, although I don't agree with that. But that I can't understand if someone thinks that Matthews is so clearly already better, that even an amazing and better rest of the season wouldn't prove Laine as the better player, even in the draft.

Is this only me or did anyone else notice that Matthews was really invisible and phlegmatic in USA's last 2 games.
Semifinal against Russia and Bronze game against Sweden in world juniors.

While Laine played gold medal team and he was part dominant line ( yes i mean pula-aho) in entire tournament.
Matthews is awesome prospect and he has bright NHL future. But he's not next of the god as most posters thought.

But if Matthews would play in FEL would he even be so dominant there what he's in NLA. NLA is high scoring league what FEL isn't.
In FEL only 2 players has scored over 20 goals in this season and they are Chad Rau Saipa and Aaron Gagnon Rauman Lukko.

If Matthews would play in FEL he would be 45-50 point player but most of his points would be assists not goals.
FEL is pro league and players are professionals and teams in FEL won't give much scoring chances because the game in FEL is much defensive than NLA.

What comes to Laine he's TOP3 selection no question about that.
McKeen's hockey has already once ranked Laine above of Matthews

Yes that's only one scouting agency.
And Matthews is still clear favorite to go 1st overall.

But is that consensus after all breakage

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Wow, i'm suprised to see him being serious candidate for WC's. I would be actually watching these games if he plays.

Finnish broadcasting company YLE has rights to show those games in Finland.
But unfortunately those Sweden vs Finland EHT ( Euro Hockey Tour) games aren't view-able in north america.

Kartusiaani

Feb 4, 2016
Debating, wether the 1st pick is Matthews or either finn is useless before the draft lottery is complete. For example I'd see Buffalo concidering winger over a center right now. If that is the case, I'd love to see Laine as the no1 pick. Such goal scoring skills and attitude. Positively arrogant. I go to watch him play whenever possible

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
No points today. Played ok, not good not bad.

Looks like Francis Paré asked before the game if Laine could give his stick to him after the game. And Laine gave it. Nice guy.

Another game without a point. :shakehead
Yep, and missed shootout attempt 3rd time in a row(?)..

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Seems a bit tired lately? I wonder if it was right choice to pick him on Team Finland. He's playing a lot of hockey after just getting healthy from that knee(?) injury. And these are tough games against some of the best players not some games against juniors.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Debating, wether the 1st pick is Matthews or either finn is useless before the draft lottery is complete. For example I'd see Buffalo concidering winger over a center right now. If that is the case, I'd love to see Laine as the no1 pick. Such goal scoring skills and attitude. Positively arrogant. I go to watch him play whenever possible

I'd put the odds of Buffalo passing on Mathews for Laine at about 1%. Mathews is too good for any team to pass up.

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
Seems a bit tired lately? I wonder if it was right choice to pick him on Team Finland. He's playing a lot of hockey after just getting healthy from that knee(?) injury. And these are tough games against some of the best players not some games against juniors.

His shoulder was injured like four months ago. The knee injury happened almost two full years ago.

Today's showing was nothing but horrendous from him. Well, he hit the post once and gave some good passes, but made notable turnovers. Tired.

Kartusiaani

Feb 4, 2016
I'd put the odds of Buffalo passing on Mathews for Laine at about 1%. Mathews is too good for any team to pass up.

Might be. But one look at Sabres prospect pool reveals plenty of talent on Center. If they'd pick Matthews there would be Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons.. And O'reilly clearly will be top 6 Center for years to come. What they do lack is a high end scoring winger prospect. Drafting another Center would just push the problem to the future. Like when Preds drafted Jones into their solid d-pool and now finally they patched the hole with trade. If any team with a chance to pick n.1 it is Buffalo who could seriously concider for example Laine over another GREAT Center prospect. Somehow this reminds of the situation of Jones draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad