RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Just stopping in to say that Laine is pretty incredible and I pray to whatever god is necessary that he ends up a Leaf on draft day. Amazing skill set, best shot I've seen out of a prospect for many years.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

Yes, this sure was interesting. In fact very much how I see the situation. This hierarchy issue with Finnish teams is absolutely true. Youngsters have a very tough time earning their spot, and both Laine and Pulju have had to fight their way through to a good spot in their team. Having such an amazing WJC did open a bit the Finnish coaches eyes and now both have been getting much more ice-time and better opportunities on the powerplay. Aho had already a bit more earned his spot with some of his performances last year, so he had a better head start for the season. And as we heard through this interesting interview, Matthews has had quite a benefit from having Crawford as his team's coach and giving him right away a wide open spot and a lot of responsibility in the team. But anyway, as this guy said, Matthews will still most likely be the number 1 pick. Only an absolutely amazing playoffs for Laine could maybe still change everything in my opinion.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Interesting listen for sure. Something I picked up was that they mentioned that Laine isn't close to the top scorers in the league, which is getting less and less true every game.

In fact he is now only 6 points out of the top ten in scoring.
And right now Laine has 13 goals. Josh Green is fifth in goal scoring with 15. So Laine isn't exactly trailing by a mile.

I'd say that 5 more games and Laine is right there, sniffing the top of the lists.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Interesting listen for sure. Something I picked up was that they mentioned that Laine isn't close to the top scorers in the league, which is getting less and less true every game.

And right now Laine has 13 goals. Josh Green is fifth in goal scoring with 15. So Laine isn't exactly trailing by a mile.

I'd say that 5 more games and Laine is right there, sniffing the top of the lists.

With full amount of games Laine would be top10 in scoring and top3 in goals. But Matthews would be 2nd in scoring and 1st (by far) in goals. As there's only 2-3 months of hockey left this season in Europe, I just cant see anyone getting ahead of Matthews in the draft. Of course there could be some team, that would take Laine as #1, but I'm sure 95% of the teams have Matthews as #1.

So, we can basically cement the top3 for the draft:
1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujärvi

Not too bad for Finns still..

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

What caught most of my attension were the indications of Matthews having a pawed way to get the best chance to succeed due to Crawford wanting back in the big league and sort of using Auston as a pawn. I haven't payed enough attension to comment on it but professionals do seem to have taken this into account. Certainly not working on his favor, nor the age advantage. Still pretty impressive nonetheless. Where as Laine and Puljujärvi have been battling for the ice time and you can see an increase of post WJC TOI when you look at Laine f.ex. He's actually not that far from being a PPG player in FEL and has a chance to put up similar kind of production as Barkov in his draft year, which is pretty amazing itself.

NLA and FEL are hardly comparable. People that proclaim Matthews having higher competition are ignoring the fact that the "higher competition" in this case, comes along with far lesser opposing teams and players. NLA is just a high scoring league and if you play in one of the better teams and get tons of ice time you are expected to show up on the leader boards.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Laine and Aho will make their debut on the men's national team for two EHT games against Sweden on 11.2. and 13.2. :handclap:

I only wish they would've taken Puljujärvi also, instead of Louhivaara, Osala or Nättinen. :cry:

Source: http://yle.fi/urheilu/nuorten_leijonien_sankarit_aho_ja_laine_mukaan_miesten_maajoukkueeseen/8639537

Hey don't be sad.
Puljujärvi has still chance to get his debut in adult lions this season.

It depends of course that how he'll play rest of the season.
I'm not surprised if Marjamäki has said for kojo Pulju needs time to practice when Aho and Laine are playing EHT games against Sweden.

Congrats for Laine and Aho their men's national team debuts.

Stavros

Nov 30, 2015
Eichel played last yers team USA at world championships and did very well, Barkov could have made the team in his draft year if he wasnt injured. Do it Pate :handclap:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

Very good thinking from Jalonen. These are exactly the games where to try how these young super talents can play at the international level against grown men. Some people were quite sure about it that no one from the kid-line would play any EHT games this season. I really can't understand how anyone could even think that way. Not choosing any of them would have been a crime against Finnish hockey, so I'm really happy for Laine and Aho, they really deserve the chance to show what they can do at that level. I'm a bit sad for Pulju though. In my opinion he would have deserved this chance also. Although if one of them just had to be left out now, I have to agree that then it had to be Pulju. He is still the rawest of these great talents, although with the right kind of training and development he might even turn out as the best player of these three. At the moment I would still put my money on Laine. Aho and Pulju might both end up as NHL stars at best, but Laine I see as a potential superstar. But only time will tell...

Stavros

Nov 30, 2015
Very good thinking from Jalonen. These are exactly the games where to try how these young super talents can play at the international level against grown men. Some people were quite sure about it that no one from the kid-line would play any EHT games this season. I really can't understand how anyone could even think that way. Not choosing any of them would have been a crime against Finnish hockey, so I'm really happy for Laine and Aho, they really deserve the chance to show what they can do at that level. I'm a bit sad for Pulju though. In my opinion he would have deserved this chance also. Although if one of them just had to be left out now, I have to agree that then it had to be Pulju. He is still the rawest of these great talents, although with the right kind of training and development he might even turn out as the best player of these three. At the moment I would still put my money on Laine. Aho and Pulju might both end up as NHL stars at best, but Laine I see as a potential superstar. But only time will tell...

There are already two key players from Kärpät on the team, I think there is some kind of agreement not to take too many players from one team.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Holy..!

When was the last time an undrafted kid in draft year made the Finnish Mens national team? I cannot remember it..

Granlund and OJ the most famous examples.

Surprised they took Aho in as Kärpät are playing the CHL final on the 9th, which is why I figure they left out Puljujärvi. I would have given all three a rest.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
There are already two key players from Kärpät on the team, I think there is some kind of agreement not to take too many players from one team.

Good point. You might very well be right with this. If this is the case, then I really hope that Pulju will still get his chance this season also. Of course he needs to continue playing like he did after WJC, or even better, for that to happen.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
With full amount of games Laine would be top10 in scoring and top3 in goals. But Matthews would be 2nd in scoring and 1st (by far) in goals. As there's only 2-3 months of hockey left this season in Europe, I just cant see anyone getting ahead of Matthews in the draft. Of course there could be some team, that would take Laine as #1, but I'm sure 95% of the teams have Matthews as #1.

So, we can basically cement the top3 for the draft:
1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujärvi

Not too bad for Finns still..

Don't you think that a great playoffs or even getting to the WHC and succeeding there couldn't change the outcome? Of course if Matthews does at least either of these, he will be sure number one in my opinion. But if he doesn't impress in either way and Laine does at least one of these, I could still see a chance for an upset. In my opinion that would mean that Laine would then have an even more impressive record for this season. Of course all this is a very big if, and will not most likely happen. But on the other hand I don't see it totally impossible either.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Matthews will be 1st overall as much I want Laine to be it. His overall game is better and he is more ready for the NHL. Laine can't do much about it as he isn't center. I think Laine's potential is higher though.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Matthews will be 1st overall as much I want Laine to be it. His overall game is better and he is more ready for the NHL. Laine can't do much about it as he isn't center. I think Laine's potential is higher though.

What I mean is, doesn't the rest of this season and the whole season altogether mean still something? I agree that if the draft was right now, then Matthews would be most likely the number one pick. But do you really say that nothing that still happens this season can't change the outcome? If this is how you really see it, then you must see Matthews as very much better player than Laine right now. If this the case I can't understand it.

That I would agree at the moment that Matthews has a clearly more balanced game than Laine, but I don't see the difference even there huge at least. And I still think that Laine is also ahead of Matthews with his shot, his strength and his will and ability to score in clutch situations. Because of these things I see him already as a better player than Matthews. I can still very well understand people seeing Matthews as the better player right now, although I don't agree with that. But that I can't understand if someone thinks that Matthews is so clearly already better, that even an amazing and better rest of the season wouldn't prove Laine as the better player, even in the draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad