RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Starting to look really good for Laine. I can't wait till U20.

Mind-boggling that some scouts has this guy outside the top10. He's right up there and should be in the conversation for 2nd overall IMO. And with a strong WJC, who knows, maybe he can even overtake Matthews, though I doubt it but he's very, very good. As someone else said in the previous thread; it looks like Laine's skating has gone from a glaring weakness to one of his strengths. Impressive.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
His top speed has become very impressive as his stride but how's Laine's acceleration and edge work in tight situations?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Mind-boggling that some scouts has this guy outside the top10. He's right up there and should be in the conversation for 2nd overall IMO. And with a strong WJC, who knows, maybe he can even overtake Matthews, though I doubt it but he's very, very good. As someone else said in the previous thread; it looks like Laine's skating has gone from a glaring weakness to one of his strengths. Impressive.
Think this will change quickly, unless there is more to the attitude issues which reporters are comfortable revealing. Right now, I'd have him as the top winger and I've watched alot of Tkachuk (not enough Puljujarvi). But from what I've seen I love Laine's combo of size and elite shot.

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
His top speed has become very impressive as his stride but how's Laine's acceleration and edge work in tight situations?

Better and better. Of course there's still a lot to improve, but stop-and-go game is no more a major problem for him. Gets going pretty well for his size actually.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
This guy will be the second player selected in the 2016 draft.

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but it's kinda crazy how his skating went from a legitimate issue concerning his NHL projection to a complete non-issue, possibly even a strength.

jarnov

Sep 24, 2012
I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but it's kinda crazy how his skating went from a legitimate issue concerning his NHL projection to a complete non-issue, possibly even a strength.

He had quite severe knee injury in the spring 2014 which affected his training. Another thing is he was a tall kid who had just growth a lot. These things combined were probably the main reason his skating was horrendous a year ago.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I see more Rick Nash, he's improved his skating but I don't think it can ever get near prime Kovy. He seems pretty good at finding holes to exploit and unleash his elite shot.

Patrik Laine has much more dynamic abilities. Rick Nash plays more like power game. He plays like Ovechkin. Not gonna say he is same caliber of player but he plays like him. Wouldn't be suprised if Laine has best hands and shot in the draft.

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
To me Laine is a pure sniper. Has the potential to be +30 goalscorer in NHL someday. Kovalchuk is actually quite good comparison.

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
Patrik Laine has much more dynamic abilities. Rick Nash plays more like power game. He plays like Ovechkin. Not gonna say he is same caliber of player but he plays like him. Wouldn't be suprised if Laine has best hands and shot in the draft.

I was going to say Ovechkin as well, glad someone gave the bullet shield first. Of course he is not an Ovie right now, and it's very, very likely he'll never be there, but IMO he has that drive and talent to get there. What separates him from Ovie(style of play-wise) is that he's not as clearly a shoot-first guy. Jamie Benn wouldn't be that bad a comparison, if Laine was better defensively.

Then there's a chance he becomes an Evander Kane. Or Joel Armia.:sarcasm:

Not to pump his tires too much, he does more often than not try to do it all by himself. Meaning that sometimes he overdekes and either turns the puck over in dangerous areas or ends up in the corner.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I just love watching him play. Even if he does sometimes try to do too much by himself, it's hard not to enjoy watching him do it. :popcorn:

Hockey (and all spectator sports) is entertainment after all. :naughty:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I was going to say Ovechkin as well, glad someone gave the bullet shield first. Of course he is not an Ovie right now, and it's very, very likely he'll never be there, but IMO he has that drive and talent to get there. What separates him from Ovie(style of play-wise) is that he's not as clearly a shoot-first guy. Jamie Benn wouldn't be that bad a comparison, if Laine was better defensively.

Then there's a chance he becomes an Evander Kane. Or Joel Armia.:sarcasm:

Not to pump his tires too much, he does more often than not try to do it all by himself. Meaning that sometimes he overdekes and either turns the puck over in dangerous areas or ends up in the corner.

Ovi, next Kovy? No one can say what can become of him. The sky is the limit at this point. He has the best tools I've seen of a winger for a long time.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Nash has a high level of skill and is far from a pure power guy. Young Nash was a good skater with great handles and a shot. I don't think he has the skating of guys like Kovy or Ovi.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Nash has a high level of skill and is far from a pure power guy. Young Nash was a good skater with great handles and a shot. I don't think he has the skating of guys like Kovy or Ovi.

Nash has great and quick finishing hands in tight. He plays power game using body effectively to get into great scoring areas and that doesen't mean he powers through everything. He isn't flashy by any means. Laine in the other hand can dangle through opposite defenders similar way as Ovie, He plays exact same role in the PP like Ovie, shooting technique and style is almost exactly same with Ovie, smooth and flashy hands. He isn't anything like Nash tbh. Ovie is best comparison by style for Laine for sure no doubt about it. I'm not meaning his potential but style.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Nash has great and quick finishing hands in tight. He plays power game using body effectively to get into great scoring areas and that doesen't mean he powers through everything. He isn't flashy by any means. Laine in the other hand can dangle through opposite defenders similar way as Ovie, He plays exact same role in the PP like Ovie, shooting technique and style is almost exactly same with Ovie, smooth and flashy hands. He isn't anything like Nash tbh. Ovie is best comparison by style for Laine for sure no doubt about it. I'm not meaning his potential but style.
I'd say his potential is much more in line with Nash or a prime Semin. But I don't think your viewing Nash correctly, he's more than capable of dangeling through people. He's not a guy who only score in close, he can wire it off the rush or deke you out if need be. Obviously not to the extent of Ovi, but no one except maybe Kovalchuk has done that in the NHL recently.

edit: Semin is actually prolly the better comparable, somewhere between the two but closer to Semin in regards to flair. Both are big guys who can use there shot and reach to create goal scoring chances, but Laine seems more willing to get in tight. I just think while Laine's skating has improved it will never be Ovi or Kovy level, so I think its a bit flawed. More to the point there is no exact match. But he's a big winger, with decent to good skating, an elite shot and great hands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad