Birth: April 19, 1998, Tampere, Finland

2014_10_15_patrik_laine_leki-9x.jpg

Previous Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1550405

Last edited by a moderator:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Can someone sum up his offensive game for me? Is he a James Neal type player who doesn't do too much with the puck, but finds soft spots in the offensive zone to rip shots off?

Or is he a dynamic offensive player who is comfortable with the puck on the stick?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Can someone sum up his offensive game for me? Is he a James Neal type player who doesn't do too much with the puck, but finds soft spots in the offensive zone to rip shots off?

Or is he a dynamic offensive player who is comfortable with the puck on the stick?

No he is the opposite. When he has puck in the offensive zone he can generate high quality scoring chance from everywhere. I think he could be most dynamic offensive player for this draft. One month left then we get to see these players in WJC.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
This guys shot is absolutely phenomenal. Could you imagine if he put on 10-15lbs with a NHL strength program? 6'4 220lbs with a shot like that? Looking more and more like a Corey Perry.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Better prospect than Barkov?
Not likely, Barkov had (and still does) the look of a franchise center, Laine's good and looks to be a top line winger, but unless your talking an Ovechkin or Kovalchuk level winger you go for the center. Basically what would you rather Rick Nash or a Kopitar.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015

I would say Laine has probably a higher ceiling in terms of offensive production, but he is not nearly the complete player that Barkov was and is. Then again, if I am not mistaken Barkov scored at a considerably higher pace during his draft year. One thing is for sure: Laine is a more entertaining player than Barkov.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
1+1 and propably the best player of the game even though Tappara lost. I wonder what Jagr looked like at the same age...

jarnov

Sep 24, 2012

He is a shoot-first guy and has a huge shot, both wrister and slapshot. Especially wrister is hard and accurate, and what's important he doesnt't just shoot eyes shut but watches the goalie until the release and shoots accordingly high/low/5-hole/etc. He's a good stickhandler in traffic this and combined with his huge reach this allows him to go for awesome coast-to-coast goals. He has displayed this multiple times this season in FEL although is yet to score this way.

However he's not just a skillful goalscorer blessed with a deadly shot. He's is quite creative and good passer too. Watch for example the shift that led to his first FEL goal (www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaT7H_u21Io). Before the goal he showcase how he detects teammates and open spaces.

Offence-wise he is as a prospect probably on par with Barkov or a bit ahead although they differ a lot as players. His shot is obviously much stronger, stickhandling is on same lever and on-ice-vision doesn't lose much to Barkov. On the other hand he is not as good in decion making and doing small things right, his overall hockey IQ isn't as high. He still goes for a flashy trick even if it's not the best choice for his team. He gives some unnecessary turnovers, which Barkov did never since shift one he skated in FEL as a 16 year old.

Barkov scored a ton of points as a teenager and almost none of them were exceptional. Laine had more highlight reel stuff already in October. However I suspect he won't outscore Barkov. Barkov scored because he was in the right place at the right time ALL THE TIME and pucks just fell to his stick. I would describe him as a player whose skills on the scale of 1 to 10 are 8 or 9 every single one except for positioning and anticipation. They are 11. This is such a gift and leads to good things all the time, both in defence and offence. He is (and already was as a prospect) a center who makes right decions not just for him but for all players around him. I think this makes him better/safer prospect than basicly any winger – even if we don't take defence into consideration. That's a totally different story, Barkov's a future Selke winner.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
It is just heartwarming to see a Finnish prospect burying those onetimers time after time. Laine is just a very intriguing player. Despite his small tendency to opt for the flashy play instead of the possibly more effective one, his offensive creativity is great. I have also been impressed by his good forechecking. From what I've seen, he still has some work to do in his own zone, but he is just such a monster offensively that I can't help but be extremely excited.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
If the Flyers finish toward the bottom this season, Laine is the guy I have ranked after Matthews. Would love to see a line of Laine-Giroux-Voracek. And since Giroux plays the left side on PP1, this guy would make our second unit actually deadly for once, playing the Ovechkin role.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

Just look at the one game highlite video above. Two of the goals he was in on, he was the one who was patient and in good position defensively, stripped the puck carrier and made some unreal plays. Looks to be a smart and strong two-way player, as well as being a deadly goal scorer (wicked release and shot) and stick handler. Just from the brief moments I have seen of him, he is what I would call a player who plays with substance. That shot alone and ability to play off the puck will make him an NHL player very shortly. His skating doesn't look nearly as bad as some have said in the past either. Would draft him in the top 6 easily IMO.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kids starting to turn into my favorite non-Matthews option for the leafs. His shot and ability to find space look elite. Would look amazing next to our young playmakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad