RW Owen Tippett (2017, 10th, FLA)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The IQ issue is important, however, it's probably more important for centers and defensemen. If he can turn into a 40 goal player, you may have to forgive his lack of hockey smarts.

I don't think you hit 40 goals without hockey smarts, regardless of how good your other tools are.

MPSS

Sep 5, 2012
I don't think you hit 40 goals without hockey smarts, regardless of how good your other tools are.

There's obviously a major difference between high level CHL hockey IQ and NHL IQ. Top prospects usually have top hockey IQ for the next level, and in direct contrast to your claim Jake Virtanen had 45 goals in his draft year and appears to be lacking high level hockey IQ at the next level.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It is always a comparable to other plays, someone is always dumb relative to other NHL players. I don't think Evander Kane is a smart player at all, and he constantly flirts with 30 in the NHL. For all his faults though, Kane plays with significantly more compete than Tippett does.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Went to the Steelheads game yesterday. Came away with mixed feelings on Tippett. He's a better skater than I thought and his shot is just as ridiculous as I imagined. His goal was nice and then he later beat Marty Jr. cleanly with a wrist shot but hit the post. But away from the play I rarely noticed him. He did get in on a lot of the extra curricular stuff with the Gens' players. I don't know if there's a history there but he didn't like most of them aha

I think I'd take him around the ~10 spot just because of his shot. It's lethal and if he can improve on some things he'd at the very least be a decent 2nd line scoring winger IMO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There's obviously a major difference between high level CHL hockey IQ and NHL IQ. Top prospects usually have top hockey IQ for the next level, and in direct contrast to your claim Jake Virtanen had 45 goals in his draft year and appears to be lacking high level hockey IQ at the next level.

I read that comment as 40 goals at the NHL level, as he has already hit the 40 goal mark in Juniors. I would agree that goal scoring at the OHL level requires significantly less Hockey IQ.

It is always a comparable to other plays, someone is always dumb relative to other NHL players. I don't think Evander Kane is a smart player at all, and he constantly flirts with 30 in the NHL. For all his faults though, Kane plays with significantly more compete than Tippett does.

40 Goals is quite the milestone in today's NHL. Vast majority of guys I see in the 30-40 goal range this year have a very high hockey IQ. Only exception to that might be someone who plays with an elite playmaker, and doesn't really have to create for himself.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I read that comment as 40 goals at the NHL level, as he has already hit the 40 goal mark in Juniors. I would agree that goal scoring at the OHL level requires significantly less Hockey IQ.

40 Goals is quite the milestone in today's NHL. Vast majority of guys I see in the 30-40 goal range this year have a very high hockey IQ. Only exception to that might be someone who plays with an elite playmaker, and doesn't really have to create for himself.
Oh, I thought we were talking about scoring in junior. There are a few guys who can get 30 in the NHL occasionally playing a very simplistic/mindless game. Evander Kane is the first one that comes to mind. They don't do it often, and they are quite erratic. I feel Tippett falls into this grouping. They are quite rare and are insanely frustrating players to watch. Usually, they end up like Kilger, Yakupov or Virtanen.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

kind of late to the party but just caught up with game 1 and had some real good impressions for me:
shown he can be creative with the puck (more than i thought he'd be)
kept his speed up most of the game
decent two way game (not great but good effort enough)

i also have game 2 which he also had a lot of good moments

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Awesome, thanks for posting those! Love that move at 7:54. I've only watched him in game maybe 3 or 4 times, including your game 1 here, so small sample size, but have never seen a lack of creativity. There are still instances in the video here where he's a bit passive, more so in the defensive zone but even at times in the offensive zone. If he can work on that I think it would only add to his potential.

JA

I don't see a lot of versatility or diversity in Tippett's game.

He possesses no east-west game and relies heavily on moving the puck up the ice with speed, so by definition he is a north-south player. He is much more explosive than a player like Jake Virtanen and isn't quite as physical. They are not the same type of player in some respects, as Virtanen is more of a power forward while Tippett is more of a speedster with a sprinkle, albeit not a lot, of power.

Tippett's game is all about getting the puck into the middle of the ice, whether he is the one taking it into the middle with the puck on his stick, or passing it into the middle. His work along the boards and his cycle game are somewhat limited, as his mindset is always to get the puck into a prime shooting area above the goal line rather than to move it around the zone to open up space.

He loves to gather speed and take it up the ice himself; he is shifty and explosive enough to move it quickly and beat players one-on-one, and can explode from a standstill to beat a player one-on-one in the offensive zone. If a defenceman is caught flat-footed, he'll speed right by them. His skating ability is dynamic, unlike Virtanen who lacks acceleration and shiftiness, and whose game was based around bulldozing to the net with strength.

Tippett also has a tendency to shoot the puck from low-percentage areas when the other team fails to give him space to skate or pass the puck into the middle. Rather than dump the puck in, he'll launch the puck from his stick and try to force it on net.

As of right now, he is rather one-dimensional. His shot is terrific, and his skating ability is excellent. However, at the NHL level these kinds of plays tend to be contained due to the defensive discipline and skill of the opposition. He has only a small number of plays in his arsenal and he forces them several times a game.

There isn't much more to his game than his rushes, his desire to move the puck into the middle, and his shot. He is a project and a high-risk pick because his game revolves around a very limited set of talents and not a lot of hockey sense or poise. Unless a team wants to commit themselves to rounding out his game and teaching him other offensive elements, they will likely pass on him.

He is a better skater than Nail Yakupov, but he has the same kind of risk associated with him -- a limited, underdeveloped offensive mindset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It'll obviously depend on where the Devils fall in the lottery, but if we're looking at 5 or 6, I'd gladly take him. A top flight center would be the primary need, but we need goal scoring in a big way and his shot is lethal.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
This kid has a cannon for a shot, but his skating seems a bit weak. but that might just look worse in comparison to the mcleods

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This kid has a cannon for a shot, but his skating seems a bit weak. but that might just look worse in comparison to the mcleods
His skating is good. Might not be as elite as some say, but it is still fairly high-end. Major questions with Tippett will always be IQ and general compete level. He's the last guy back a bit too often, even when it is his turnover or reckless play that caused it.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
His skating is good. Might not be as elite as some say, but it is still fairly high-end. Major questions with Tippett will always be IQ and general compete level. He's the last guy back a bit too often, even when it is his turnover or reckless play that caused it.

I could see that, I want to see him in a game without ryan and Mikey, their skating makes everyone else look poor in comparison by default lol

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

I think he could with Eichel on his line. I'd be nice to see Tippett Eichel Reinhart, It would rack the points up, suppose Eichel can one day be the Player who every body was matching him to be, and Reinhart can support well to.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think he could with Eichel on his line. I'd be nice to see Tippett Eichel Reinhart, It would rack the points up, suppose Eichel can one day be the Player who every body was matching him to be, and Reinhart can support well to.

Eichel was a hundredth of a point from being top 10 in points per game this year despite coming off a major injury, playing on a horrendous team that was dead last in scoring without him, and being 20.

So maybe he's a bit better than you present him here already.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Saw Tippett for the first time live tonight and wow was I ever disappointed.

He really doesn't do much that stands out in a positive way other than his shot, and those players tend to have a hard time transitioning to the NHL.

He leaves a lot to be desired in his own zone. Seems to never be that engaged and floating at the top of the zone looking for a quick break. He also doesn't seem to have that good of a work ethic and just felt like a very lazy player. Only motivated when the puck is on his stick. He also fumbled a lot of pucks and just doesn't seem to be that creative or think the game that well. Gets the puck on his stick and just tries to skate through guys and shoot, which is a great shot though.

His goal tonight was very lucky and happened on a broken play so not much to get excited about there.

If I had to rate him tonight it would be 1 out of 10. Now Mcleod on the other hand was fantastic. Such a fun player to watch

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Jake Virtanen had 45 goals in his D year and is currently struggling at a minor job.

Virtanen is also 20 years old. He played in 2 world juniors, in the NHL as an 18 year old. I'm sure he'll find his way to into the NHL as a solid player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad