RW Owen Tippett (2017, 10th, FLA)

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Does he figure to start in the NHL next season? I saw a number of games he played this year in the AHL, and was very impressed. His stats, 40 points in 46 games, are also excellent for a 20 year old in the AHL. For a top 10 pick, he's very under-discussed, but I think his game seems to be developing well.
With Mike Hoffman, Evgeny Dadonov, Erik Haula and Brian Boyle becoming UFA this summer there sure will be an opportunity for Tippett to make the team.

Maybe him and Grigori Denisenko can even fight to play top-6 along Huberdeau and Barkov

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Does he figure to start in the NHL next season? I saw a number of games he played this year in the AHL, and was very impressed. His stats, 40 points in 46 games, are also excellent for a 20 year old in the AHL. For a top 10 pick, he's very under-discussed, but I think his game seems to be developing well.

Ya he's got the best shot to make it out of the prospects (Borgstrom, Heponiemi, Denisenko) imo.
We will likely only keep one of Hoffman or Dadonov unless we can move one of Yandle or Matheson to free up more money.
His year ended early due to an injury that was kept hush hush for a while but eventually we found out he needed surgery on his wrist.

Tracked him all year in the AHL and he was firing on all cylinders and one of few bright spots on the T-Birds.
Ideally, when he's ready, you put him with Barkov and Huberdeau who are pass first players.
His play-making has improved and he's got decent speed for his size.
Big lower base so he's hard to knock off the puck as well.
Excited for his development ahead, his floor should be 15-20 goals/40-45pts but his ceiling should be 25-30 goals/60-70pts depending on line-mates.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Ya he's got the best shot to make it out of the prospects (Borgstrom, Heponiemi, Denisenko) imo.
We will likely only keep one of Hoffman or Dadonov unless we can move one of Yandle or Matheson to free up more money.
His year ended early due to an injury that was kept hush hush for a while but eventually we found out he needed surgery on his wrist.

Tracked him all year in the AHL and he was firing on all cylinders and one of few bright spots on the T-Birds.
Ideally, when he's ready, you put him with Barkov and Huberdeau who are pass first players.
His play-making has improved and he's got decent speed for his size.
Big lower base so he's hard to knock off the puck as well.
Excited for his development ahead, his floor should be 15-20 goals/40-45pts but his ceiling should be 25-30 goals/60-70pts depending on line-mates.
This post sadly contrasts from what I'm reading on the Panthers board. Tippett scored yesterday, after being healthy scratch for many games. I went to see what the Panthers fans were saying, and most of them want to see him traded, and a lot are ready to give up on him, calling him an upcoming bust. It's really weird because he's 22 year old, and he was a PPG in the AHL at his first professionnal year.

Max Pacioretty was seen as a lazy unidimensionnal player who couldnt skate in the NHL in his first two pro seasons. He struggled a lot, and then he developped his game. Hopefully Owen has the determination to do the same.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
This post sadly contrasts from what I'm reading on the Panthers board. Tippett scored yesterday, after being healthy scratch for many games. I went to see what the Panthers fans were saying, and most of them want to see him traded, and a lot are ready to give up on him, calling him an upcoming bust. It's really weird because he's 22 year old, and he was a PPG in the AHL at his first professionnal year.

Max Pacioretty was seen as a lazy unidimensionnal player who couldnt skate in the NHL in his first two pro seasons. He struggled a lot, and then he developped his game. Hopefully Owen has the determination to do the same.
I think a lot of us expected a little more out of Tippett but the kid is a rookie and our board is going a little overboard with the bust comments. We just want him to be a litrle more engaged. He’s playing really scared but like I said he’s a rookie and not every rookie sets the world on fire in the beginning

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I am surprised that out of Denisenko and Tippett, none of the blue chippers really took the reins when management opened up a spot for them by letting Hoffman and Dadonov go. Instead Duclair and Verhaehge(sp?) Took the ball and ran.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008

I don’t believe that to be true. We’re deep right now and Q isn’t handing out spots.. Tippett has shown flashes, still a way to go.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I am surprised that out of Denisenko and Tippett, none of the blue chippers really took the reins when management opened up a spot for them by letting Hoffman and Dadonov go. Instead Duclair and Verhaehge(sp?) Took the ball and ran.
Tippet never really was given a chance on that top line before duclair and vergaeghe took the reigns, was he? I don’t remember that happening...

Tippett is clearly playing timid. Gotta think he is scared to make any mistakes fearing it’s going to relegate him to the press box. He’s a high volume shooter who is barely putting any pucks on net...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

I think Tippett and Denisenko are gonna be good, but they are not quite as mature as Florida management expected them to be. It's gonna take them a little while longer to become the consistent top 6 players that were expected of them.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

They have more than earned it, the youngsters have not. They'll have their day hopefully sooner rather than later

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Tippett was really good last year in the AHL. He needs to learn the NHL game. His problem right now is he’s not moving his feet enough.
You could see that in OHL, floats way too much. You'd think he would be aware of his #1 weakness in his 2nd pro season now. He has to discipline himself to just keep moving.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
You could see that in OHL, floats way too much. You'd think he would be aware of his #1 weakness in his 2nd pro season now. He has to discipline himself to just keep moving.
If you’ve been paying attention, he’s made massive strides in that regard since his draft year. It’s just about finding that comfort level in the NHL.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
He just looks way more confident out there. He is settling into his third line role and earned a spot on the pp 2.

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Tippet is playing on the 3rd line with no one who can get him the puck in scoring areas.

Which is why I...and a couple of others...have banged the table to promote Tippett to the top line to get time with Barkov(the king maker), or possibly Huby, on the second line. It's Duclair, you just don't know what to do with the guy, honestly.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Linked to Philly in a possible Giroux trade by Jeff Marek. How has he been in the NHL and AHL this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad