RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Obviously this guy has bust all over him, he should be moved for a fourth in 2020. We can't afford to wait til he's 20. He's needed right now. We don't have any decent right-wingers. TRADE HIM NOW GARTH

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Why do people get so upset and defensive over a prospect not performing well?

Walhstrom will never be a line driver. He had the luxury of playing with Hughes his draft year which obviously helped his game but now hes in a situation where he is not on a line with an elite talent and it is showing. Theres a reason he did not go in the top 10. I see him being very similar to bellows in the fact that they need to play with a C that will drive the line.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Walhstrom will never be a line driver. He had the luxury of playing with Hughes his draft year which obviously helped his game but now hes in a situation where he is not on a line with an elite talent and it is showing. Theres a reason he did not go in the top 10. I see him being very similar to bellows in the fact that they need to play with a C that will drive the line.
He did fine having not great centering early in the year, but had a good complimentary player in Farabee. Hughes wasn't promoted until the end of December.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018

I think people have diverging opinions about what "not performing well" means. Like I said in another post, with his play since the start of the year + excluding bad puck luck, he could easily have 5 points in 6 games. He has a 3% shooting percentage, you can view that as not performing well or as bad puck luck.

He has not been a world beater so far but he has not been horrible either, but his stats don't reflect his play imo.

Reactions: AmericanDream

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
He is not playing junior hockey any more .NCAA hockey is way above junior hockey quaility and some take longer to adjust . If by the end of his sophmore year he is not preforming it might be a little concerning but not alarming .

Reactions: NLRAIDERS

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He was by far the consensus pick at the time. Like Islanders couldnt have had an easier job on draft day. They wouldnt have taken anyone else realistically. Hes like that kid who didnt have to try in highschool, scored mid to high 90s on all his exams and goes to UNI and gets a C - on his first 2 midterms. It happens, hopefully he turns it around. Theres just a big jump.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He was by far the consensus pick at the time. Like Islanders couldnt have had an easier job on draft day. They wouldnt have taken anyone else realistically. Hes like that kid who didnt have to try in highschool, scored mid to high 90s on all his exams and goes to UNI and gets a C - on his first 2 midterms. It happens, hopefully he turns it around. Theres just a big jump.
I'm not saying that Wahlstrom will bust. But, in general, a justification for a bad pick should never be "other teams would have done it." You pay your scouting staff to beat Bob's consensus list, otherwise, NHL teams should just draft off that (although, with no NHL scouting staffs the list isn't possible). It doesn't give you a mulligan on a bad pick.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Honestly I don't get it, that guy had the best shot from the draft, better than Zadina, his hands are very good as well, his IQ seemed fairly good to me, it can't be all on his compete, things are clearly not clicking for him right now. So I checked; he has 30 shots on net in 8 games, which is actually quite high, 19th in the league in shot per game, with 2 goals only gives him a 6.7% shooting percentage, both goals were on 5 on 5. 0 assist isn't a good sign, but he definitely isn't playing with hot linemates, there is very little production outside the top3 scorer, from highlights I seen, he isn't playing with those at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad