RW Nail Yakupov - Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik, KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
Nice goal. He's playing well it seems. Question for people who watch the khl. In that highlight package alone I saw two goals scored (the first one and yakupovs) by what I'll tentatively call "flip wrist shots." And by that I mean wrist shots that don't have a high velocity but are accurate enough to pick a corner. It seemed the shooters did it intentionally since the goalies were so out of place. So just wondering if the quality of goaltenders is lacking and that something like this is a regular occurrence? You would rarely see goals like that in the NHL.

Fulcrum

Nice goal. He's playing well it seems. Question for people who watch the khl. In that highlight package alone I saw two goals scored (the first one and yakupovs) by what I'll tentatively call "flip wrist shots." And by that I mean wrist shots that don't have a high velocity but are accurate enough to pick a corner. It seemed the shooters did it intentionally since the goalies were so out of place. So just wondering if the quality of goaltenders is lacking and that something like this is a regular occurrence? You would rarely see goals like that in the NHL.

Quality of goaltending is just fine, remember - there are quiet a few of NHL goalies, Bryzgalov, Rinne, Bobrovsky, Varlamov, Khudobin.

Rinne said that it's actually harder to be a goalie in KHL, since the passing is back and forth and will make your head spin. He said that in NHL, the players will take a shot whenever they get a chance from standard positions. So it's more predictable.

As for NHL, there are a fair share bad goals too (just ask leafs fans about their G). Obviously the overall quality is slightly higher in NHL, not going to argue that, but the goalies in KHL are world class too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

I fail to see how Yakupov's goals were "flip wrist shots". Sounds like a suspicious, thinly veiled jab at the player. His first goal in particular was a laser beam wrister low blocker. His second goal was an accurate wrist shot with plenty velocity about 10 feet out.

Last edited:

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I fail to see how Yakupov's goals were "flip wrist shots". Sounds like a suspicious, thinly veiled jab at the player. His first goal in particular was a laser beam wrister low blocker. His second goal was an accurate wrist shot with plenty velocity about 10 feet out.

I don't think it has to be. Nail seems to know how to switch up his shot. If someone thinks that some of them wouldn't have beaten NHL goalies, I don't think that that in itself is a condemnation of his NHL potential.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yakupov continues his great start to the season with a 2g, 1a night. One goal was ES, the other was an empty netter.

13GP - 10G - 4A - 14P

:amazed::amazed::amazed:

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Quality of goaltending is just fine, remember - there are quiet a few of NHL goalies, Bryzgalov, Rinne, Bobrovsky, Varlamov, Khudobin.

Rinne said that it's actually harder to be a goalie in KHL, since the passing is back and forth and will make your head spin. He said that in NHL, the players will take a shot whenever they get a chance from standard positions. So it's more predictable.

As for NHL, there are a fair share bad goals too (just ask leafs fans about their G). Obviously the overall quality is slightly higher in NHL, not going to argue that, but the goalies in KHL are world class too.

This.

Goaltending is probably the area where the lockout infused KHL comes closest to the NHL in talent.

Oilin Toronto

Mar 31, 2010
Yakupov continues his great start to the season with a 2g, 1a night. One goal was ES, the other was an empty netter.

13GP - 10G - 4A - 14P

:amazed::amazed::amazed:

I keep hearing so many posts about how overrated Yak is. I cannot wait till the season starts, and he pots 30+ in his rookie year.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Yakupov's numbers are off the charts for his age.

Look what Ovechkin did... and then look at Yak.

Ovechkin stat line after his draft year
37gp 13g 14a 27pts

Crazy

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
I don't even think Yak is playing in the top 5 on his team for TOI either. Getting limited minutes along with he really has no "superstars" on his team it's crazy he continues to produce at this rate.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
When Edmonton media asked Oilers head scout Stu Macgregor what he liked most about Nail, he answered "whenever I saw him in alone on a goalie he never missed". Now obviously the team that just drafted him is going to pump his tires but Yakupov really is a special breed of goal scorer. His shot is ridiculous.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Yakupov's numbers are off the charts for his age.

Look what Ovechkin did... and then look at Yak.

Ovechkin stat line after his draft year
37gp 13g 14a 27pts

Crazy

When Oveckin was playing in the RSL scoring was much lower, Yakupov looks great but doesn't compare to Ovechkin at the same age.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
When Oveckin was playing in the RSL scoring was much lower, Yakupov looks great but doesn't compare to Ovechkin at the same age.

The goalies in the KHL this season are of a higher quality than past seasons. Yakupov is scoring aqt an unseen rate for a 19 year old on a weak team while getting limited ice time. You are right it is unfair to compare them at the same age. Yakupov is performing much, much better.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
The goalies in the KHL this season are of a higher quality than past seasons. Yakupov is scoring aqt an unseen rate for a 19 year old on a weak team while getting limited ice time. You are right it is unfair to compare them at the same age. Yakupov is performing much, much better.

Sorry, they are not comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad