RW/LW Klim Kostin (2017, 31st, STL, traded to EDM)

JA

Hey there.

He seems very talented, and has both size and strong skating ability -- quite agile. His vision and release are terrific. This player seems like he can really assert himself offensively with the puck and freewheel with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Played 7 KHL games. 0 points. The most he's played in a game is 7:47, but scoring points isn't that important in his U-18 KHL season. Being able to get 20 games in the KHL in his pre-draft season would be very good.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He has yet to dominate juniors, hopefully he gets a good mix in all three leagues.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
For someone ranked as high as 3rd overall he has 0 points on the year. While someone like Petterson ranked much lower, although 7 months older, has over a ppg in Allsvenskan.

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014
For someone ranked as high as 3rd overall he has 0 points on the year. While someone like Petterson ranked much lower, although 7 months older, has over a ppg in Allsvenskan.

Those early rankings were primarily based on the Ivan Hlinka tournament where Kostin played very well. He should drop in the upcoming rankings.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006

Those early rankings were primarily based on the Ivan Hlinka tournament where Kostin played very well. He should drop in the upcoming rankings.

Wouldn't say everyone agreed with that. We had Pettersson ahead since before Hlinka (Hischier too before he left for NA) as well as after Hlinka and that's just from Europe, let alone 3rd overall. That said, Kostin is definitely a promising prospect and there's plenty of hockey to be played before draft day.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He shouldn't drop.

He's playing against men. If he played against kids, he could put over over 1PPG.

He's not the only prospect playing against men currently, it's more than fair to suggest he should drop from #3 overall. You can say it's a result of his usage, but he hasn't really been able to show anything this season.

The SHL is only a small step down from the KHL, yet Vesailainen and Andersson both have 5+ points already. Petersson is destroying the Allsvenskan and deserves a rise in the rankings. Martin Necas is .5 PPG in the Czech league, Miro Heiskanen has 2 goals and 2 assists in Liiga and plays defense, Robin Salo has 6 points in Liiga from defense, etc.

No reason he can't still have a great season and end up a top-5 pick, but you need to separate yourself from others in order to be a top-3 pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's not the only prospect playing against men currently, it's more than fair to suggest he should drop from #3 overall. You can say it's a result of his usage, but he hasn't really been able to show anything this season.

The SHL is only a small step down from the KHL, yet Vesailainen and Andersson both have 5+ points already. Petersson is destroying the Allsvenskan and deserves a rise in the rankings. Martin Necas is .5 PPG in the Czech league, Miro Heiskanen has 2 goals and 2 assists in Liiga and plays defense, Robin Salo has 6 points in Liiga from defense, etc.

No reason he can't still have a great season and end up a top-5 pick, but you need to separate yourself from others in order to be a top-3 pick.

He hasn't played more than 7:47 in a KHL match, only more than a little over 13 once in the VHL. Its a usage problem, not a skill problem.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
yep, abysmal. even nichushkin had been putting great numbers while playing against men at the same age. should drop but still a first round talent, for now. if he has no points by the end of the season then i will be really worried

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's not only that he has 0 point in the KHL but he has 0 points in the VHL as well. I'm always cautious of guys that tear up international tournaments but can't perform the same way during regular league play. I think having him in the top 5 was a little high. He reminds me of Juolevi in that regard. One tournament shoots him up the rankings but does he really deserve to be there over the guys who have outperformed him in regular league play?
the talent may be there no doubt but when you can only put it together with certain players sometimes that can be a bit of a flag.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's not only that he has 0 point in the KHL but he has 0 points in the VHL as well. I'm always cautious of guys that tear up international tournaments but can't perform the same way during regular league play. I think having him in the top 5 was a little high. He reminds me of Juolevi in that regard. One tournament shoots him up the rankings but does he really deserve to be there over the guys who have outperformed him in regular league play?
the talent may be there no doubt but when you can only put it together with certain players sometimes that can be a bit of a flag.

Look up his age again.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Look up his age again.

Are you trying to say all good 17 year olds are held pointless in the KHL AND VHL in their first 6-8 games? Especially those who are projected top 5 picks?
I could see it if he isn't ready for the KHL as an U18 player but to be pointless in the VHL as well. Maybe he should be playing in the MHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are you trying to say all good 17 year olds are held pointless in the KHL AND VHL in their first 6-8 games? Especially those who are projected top 5 picks?
I could see it if he isn't ready for the KHL as an U18 player but to be pointless in the VHL as well. Maybe he should be playing in the MHL.

21 points in 30 games last season.

Thats the fifth best U-17 season in the MHL in PPG.

Only players ahead of him are Kucherov, Buchnevich, Grigorenko and Khokhlachev.

He should not be playing in the MHL.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

Debatable. That's the 5th best 16 years old season, but it also wasn't a very impressive season if you forget the age. Kostin didn't dominate the MHL, and it's while being a very large kid. I don't think he learned all that he could playing against juniors, or that he has built enough of confidence and a nagibator mentality to play with men already. If he keeps getting kept off the board and barely registering a hot on goal (4 shots in 14 KHL+VHL games), there's no shame or no issue in going to the MHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

This is pretty flawed logic here. The most successful of all those players is Kucherov, who went back to the MHL in his draft season and has turned out fine. If he can't perform or get minutes at the KHL and VHL he should be somewhere where he will get playing time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not saying it's bad for his development to go back to the MHL. He could go back there, and do just fine, but I think he's probably now at a level where he's good enough for pro hockey.

Even if he's not getting much KHL ice time, he still should be good enough to get top 6 ice time in the VHL. He has not gotten that. I don't understand why Dynamo Moscow is doing. They control ice time with their KHL and VHL team, yet they've barely played the top prospect in the organization.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'm not saying it's bad for his development to go back to the MHL. He could go back there, and do just fine, but I think he's probably now at a level where he's good enough for pro hockey.

Even if he's not getting much KHL ice time, he still should be good enough to get top 6 ice time in the VHL. He has not gotten that. I don't understand why Dynamo Moscow is doing. They control ice time with their KHL and VHL team, yet they've barely played the top prospect in the organization.

Dynamo VHL team is interesting in that way - basically there is a first line and then the icetime is evenly distributed between everyone else at around 13-14 minutes for each line. But yes, Kostin is definitely not taking pro hockey by the storm so far, although it's not like he should. Looks like he will be playing at the Canada/Russia series, those games will be much more defining for his draft stock (as well as other Ntaional Team performances).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dynamo VHL team is interesting in that way - basically there is a first line and then the icetime is evenly distributed between everyone else at around 13-14 minutes for each line. But yes, Kostin is definitely not taking pro hockey by the storm so far, although it's not like he should. Looks like he will be playing at the Canada/Russia series, those games will be much more defining for his draft stock (as well as other Ntaional Team performances).
What are his chances for the U-20 team? I would hope to see him there and at the U-18's just to watch and get some views of him prior to the draft. Also, with his struggles in the VHL he really needs strong international performances to maintain his stock.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What are his chances for the U-20 team? I would hope to see him there and at the U-18's just to watch and get some views of him prior to the draft. Also, with his struggles in the VHL he really needs strong international performances to maintain his stock.

A very good guess is that his Canada Russia Series performance will determine his WJC fate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad