RW/LW Klim Kostin (2017, 31st, STL, traded to EDM)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
He's his own worst enemy.
Kostin needs to accept and play within his limitations; and not get discouraged when he can't.

He can be a valuable 3rd liner, who has the talent to add to the offense on occasion.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
He's his own worst enemy.
Kostin needs to accept and play within his limitations; and not get discouraged when he can't.

He can be a valuable 3rd liner, who has the talent to add to the offense on occasion.

Standard 3rd liners in the NHL score in the 30-40 point range year in, year out. When do you expect Kostin to contribute like that?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Lots of shots lots
Standard 3rd liners in the NHL score in the 30-40 point range year in, year out. When do you expect Kostin to contribute like that?
Last year the median level for what is essentially 3rd liners was 27 points. With the 193rd forward having 34 points and the 288th forward having 22 points, so I think 3rd liners score at a lower rate than you believe. Essentially 34-22 points which is very doable imo, especially given he seems to take a good amount of shots.

Assuming 192 top 6 forwards. And 96 third liners.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Lots of shots lots

Last year the median level for what is essentially 3rd liners was 27 points. With the 193rd forward having 34 points and the 288th forward having 22 points, so I think 3rd liners score at a lower rate than you believe. Essentially 34-22 points which is very doable imo, especially given he seems to take a good amount of shots.

Assuming 192 top 6 forwards. And 96 third liners.

That's fair. But the low end of that is also a really crappy third line if you want to compete for a Cup.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He may end up being the JP replacement (I don't want him gone but let's face it)

He has 6 points in 18 games with under 10 minutes a night (no McDrai, no PP time)
JP has 8 points in 34 games with 13 minutes a night (and a lot of looks with Connor/Drai and some PP time)

He's been great so far and I could picture him being a phenom 3rd liner... maybe with JP and Mcleod or Mcleod and Holloway.

Reactions: majormajor

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
He came in looking like a player you'd give a shot to but ultimately would make no impact, but I've loved his game. He plays heavy, gets involved and has made some smart plays.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He passes the eye test. Seems like a very hard guy to play against.

1.75 P/60 at 5v5 is a good middle six number (and pretty good on the Oilers who aren't a good 5v5 team).
Best GF% on the team.

Klim is ready for a bigger role.

Reactions: Czechboy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Put him beside McDavid based on his 18 game sample size!

I'd be excited to see him continue with RNH (who he was just moved up with).

But your cynical framing (if I read you correctly) can easily be spun around if you phrase it like "Kostin has outperformed Jesse Puljujarvi so deserves to take his RW spot", which just happens to be next to McDavid.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'd be excited to see him continue with RNH (who he was just moved up with).

But your cynical framing (if I read you correctly) can easily be spun around if you phrase it like "Kostin has outperformed Jesse Puljujarvi so deserves to take his RW spot", which just happens to be next to McDavid.

Heh I was being a jerk. But honestly I own kostin in my fantasy league so any top 9 spot is probably a win at this point. Would love for him to get any chance he can.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad