RW/LW Klim Kostin (2017, 31st, STL, traded to EDM)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Kostin has never impressed me when I saw him play, it's always been some lesser hyped players who stood out over him.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

I think he would actually look great in TB. They already have Kucherov and Namestnikov and Sergachyov and Vsilievsky. Add Kostin and another Russian D(6th rounder Sosunov?) and they can have a Russian 5 like Detroit had in the past (plus a Russian goalie)! :yo:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
The AHL could be a good place for him to continue his development. Although there have been a lot of prospects that have grown a ton in Russia, Kostin will need a lot of ice-time to continue his growth which is hard for young players to come by in Russia. Very enticing tool set and I expect him to be a steal if he goes where projected.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The AHL could be a good place for him to continue his development. Although there have been a lot of prospects that have grown a ton in Russia, Kostin will need a lot of ice-time to continue his growth which is hard for young players to come by in Russia. Very enticing tool set and I expect him to be a steal if he goes where projected.

You mean to Tam? :naughty:

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
I got a strong feeling Vegas may pick him up with one of either 12 or 15. Building a super Russian team.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Why does ISS list him as a centre?

Because he is big - that automatically makes him a centre. :sarcasm: Actually not only ISS, but, for example, CSS too, seen him listed as C in some other rankings as well. No idea where they could possibly see him playing at C, he is a natural RW, who can play LW too.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I don't like the thought of him in the AHL at 18 and to think he has a shot at the NHL after missing almost full year of hockey is nuts. VHL is a great place for him, he'll get an opportunity to be a leader and play big minutes there. In the AHL, I fear he may be limited to 3rd line duties, where his offensive game doesn't develop as much as it could overseas. I'm skeptical.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Question, do overseas players playing in the AHL have those seasons counted against their Entry level contract?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't like the thought of him in the AHL at 18 and to think he has a shot at the NHL after missing almost full year of hockey is nuts. VHL is a great place for him, he'll get an opportunity to be a leader and play big minutes there. In the AHL, I fear he may be limited to 3rd line duties, where his offensive game doesn't develop as much as it could overseas. I'm skeptical.

I know, kid scored like one goal last year, he needs to see himself find the back of the net consistently, never been a ppg player in junior yet.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Question, do overseas players playing in the AHL have those seasons counted against their Entry level contract?
No, not unless they play over 10 NHL games. The first 2 years count as slide, as they would with any other prospect. See William Nylander.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

No. Anybody who is under 20 who plays in the AHL for a season(say like Nylander) and not the AHL doesn't get punished by having 1 year of the ELC go against them. it's basically one of the reason the Leafs really didn't call up Nylander in 2015/16 for more then like 10 games because if he did play that many one year of his ELC would take effect.

It should also be noted for late born players drafted(Sept 16-Dec 31) who go to the AHL after playing 1 more season of junior, that one year of the ELC gets deferred till they start the season as a 20 year old. Ryan Pulock and Anthony Mantha for instance both were late born players who played in the AHL and didn't have their first season count against the 3 year ELC

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No. Anybody who is under 20 who plays in the AHL for a season(say like Nylander) and not the AHL doesn't get punished by having 1 year of the ELC go against them. it's basically one of the reason the Leafs really didn't call up Nylander in 2015/16 for more then like 10 games because if he did play that many one year of his ELC would take effect.

It should also be noted for late born players drafted(Sept 16-Dec 31) who go to the AHL after playing 1 more season of junior, that one year of the ELC gets deferred till they start the season as a 20 year old. Ryan Pulock and Anthony Mantha for instance both were late born players who played in the AHL and didn't have their first season count against the 3 year ELC
We did that with Kapanen. Nylander we gave 22 games. It cost us an ELC year but didn't count as a year accrued towards unrestricted free agency.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
We did that with Kapanen. Nylander we gave 22 games. It cost us an ELC year but didn't count as a year accrued towards unrestricted free agency.

For some reason I thought they played him 9 games then magically sent him down. lol

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Clarifications:

- Any player who signs at Age 18 or 19 and hasn't burned a year on their ELC yet is eligible to slide so long as they don't play 10+ NHL games. Doesn't matter whether the player is in juniors or the AHL. For example Daniel Sprong played 18 games for Pitt as an 18 year old. So he is not eligible to slide in his Age 19 season even though he was returned to the QMJHL.

- Late birthdays can only slide if they're signed at Age 18 (before the end of their draft calendar year). They can then slide twice, e.g. Mantha. If a late birthday player is signed the year after their draft they cannot slide at all.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
If his NHL team tells him it would be best to go to the CHL, would he refuse?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad