RW/LW Dmitry Sokolov - Dinamo Minsk, KHL (2016, 196th, MIN; released)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Such an amazing shooter. If he can devote himself to fitness, to improving his skating and backchecking abilities he could carve out an NHL career.

There is a lot of work to do, but Sokolov has this one elite-level skill. This is more than most guys can say.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Such an amazing shooter. If he can devote himself to fitness, to improving his skating and backchecking abilities he could carve out an NHL career.

There is a lot of work to do, but Sokolov has this one elite-level skill. This is more than most guys can say.
He also has decent size. Not exactly a skill, but an attribute. Hopefully he will be able to play a little bit of defense, or he just won't get to play in the NHL. He looks sort of like a top 9 or bust type, but at this point it's hard to separate what is myth and what is fact about him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
2ppg since coming to Barrie, and tied for the goal scoring lead. Makes you wonder what numbers he would've put up if he wasn't stuck in Sudbury all this time, and was playing with more elite players on good teams.

Last edited:

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Guy has always been pheonominal. In Sudbury it was just a matter of having absolutely nobody with the offensive capability to compliment him and he was often left doing it all on his own. The guys is an absolute beast and may have one of the best shots I've ever seen

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Well, Wild haven't signed him yet, so if they won't do that until 1st of June, someone else will have a chance to take a flyer on him in some round.

I don't really foresee much of an issue there. I'd be very surprised if the Wild failed to sign him. The only way I see it happening is if Sokolov were to flat out reject any contract offer (including max ELC). I don't know why he would do that. There's been nothing said or done to indicate that he would.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this kid. He's got the scoring chops, for sure.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Guy has always been pheonominal. In Sudbury it was just a matter of having absolutely nobody with the offensive capability to compliment him and he was often left doing it all on his own. The guys is an absolute beast and may have one of the best shots I've ever seen

That is encouraging thing as a Wild fan. We lack a true sniper and if he could develop into one (longshot but fun to hope) it would be a huge shot in the arm for the future of this team.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
That is encouraging thing as a Wild fan. We lack a true sniper and if he could develop into one (longshot but fun to hope) it would be a huge shot in the arm for the future of this team.
I think he can become a perfect complimentary top 6 sniper- something like a Glenn Murray/Scott Young. He'll never turn his linemates into big time goal-scorers but he definitely has the potential to be a lethal finisher on a line. Could be a 30G 15/20A guy if everything goes perfectly.

You surely don't want him in the bottom 6, tho

Reactions: IceBoxHockey

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Good to see him shift to next gear since the trade but I was disapointed in WJC by him

Reid boucher also had a shoot and goalscoring skills, Sokolov from what I saw in WJC will need to be faster and more explosive or he might play with Kaprisov, but in KHL not Minny

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know what you mean, but Staal (39 g so far) and Zucker(29 so far) are definitely goal scorers. Would be surprised is Sokolov scores as much as them in the NHL, unless he is a fixture on the PP from day one, and I don't see that happening.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he can become a perfect complimentary top 6 sniper- something like a Glenn Murray/Scott Young. He'll never turn his linemates into big time goal-scorers but he definitely has the potential to be a lethal finisher on a line. Could be a 30G 15/20A guy if everything goes perfectly.

You surely don't want him in the bottom 6, tho
Ya, but in today's game you really can't play a guy in the top 6 unless he skates, and skates hard, unless he has some elite goal scoring or passing voodoo.

Are you going to play him over Granlund, Nino, Kaprizov, Zucker( 4 wingers right there), let alone Coyle, Greenway, Kunin, Parise, maybe even Lodnia( 1 1/2 years younger, and doing pretty well in the OHL also)?

I think Sokolov needs to get really serious about his training if he wants to be a factor in the NHL. It would be a shame to waste that ability to score.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Ya, but in today's game you really can't play a guy in the top 6 unless he skates, and skates hard, unless he has some elite goal scoring or passing voodoo.

Are you going to play him over Granlund, Nino, Kaprizov, Zucker( 4 wingers right there), let alone Coyle, Greenway, Kunin, Parise, maybe even Lodnia( 1 1/2 years younger, and doing pretty well in the OHL also)?

I think Sokolov needs to get really serious about his training if he wants to be a factor in the NHL. It would be a shame to waste that ability to score.
Yes, but from last year to where he is now he has definitely improved both his skating, and definsive play. I'm not saying he's good, or even average yet at either but I think going to a good team in Barrie lit a fire under him. He lacked any sort of passion in Sudbury and it's understandable when you go 30games below .500 every season, but he definitely needs to shape up and work on his stride if he wants to become anything. I'm probably 60/40 on him not being an NHLer at this point but if he does become a regular I think he will be a top-notch goal scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad