RW Kasper Halttunen - London Knights , OHL (2023, 36th, SJS)

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I wish the kid all the best. Smart move. Better to work up his skill and other things than be playing against men and a lot of defensive minded teams.

Though I also wanna add I'm not at all high on him and don't think he has showed us anything worth mentioning, yet. But, who knows if this smart move can get him going. Tsemppiä!

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I wish the kid all the best. Smart move. Better to work up his skill and other things than be playing against men and a lot of defensive minded teams.

Though I also wanna add I'm not at all high on him and don't think he has showed us anything worth mentioning, yet. But, who knows if this smart move can get him going. Tsemppiä!

100%. I wasn't overly excited when the Sharks drafted despite the talent he's shown. I worry about young players that develop in Liiga but now that he is in the hands of the Hunters, my interest has been piqued.

EDIT: Not to say I think lowly of Liiga. It's a tough league and not necessarily a good place for a young guy to develop.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Will be interesting to see Haltunen, Cowan and Barkey carry that team with the vets moving on

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
There used to be a lot of movement towards CHL around 2015 or so, and most Finnish prospects didn't turn out that great after going there.

However, lately Liiga has been VERY bad with pure dead puck-era officiating, which makes it a subpar place for a young and skilled player to develop. It's sad that Liiga doesn't see the issue when the average goals per game is like 4 or something.

So anyway, going to CHL is probably the right move right now until Liiga brass wakes up and makes the game about skill instead of clutching, grabbing, and slashing.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I'm very high on Halttunen. This was a great pick. Had him ranked #23 in the draft. He just needs more reps and confidence and he'll certainly get that in the CHL. Has a chance to be a home run pick imo. Sharks know how to draft
what's so good about him?

he seems underwhelming to me whenever i watch his videos. i feel like we wasted a pick, plz convince me otherwise

• Wow

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

he seems underwhelming to me whenever i watch his videos. i feel like we wasted a pick, plz convince me otherwise

He was a kid playing against men in a league that's not suited for developing young players. Watch him closely this upcoming season and he might just convince you.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Yep, agree. Who knows, maybe his CHL game will show something new. Right now, I see him as a Kristian Vesalainen.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON

I have to admit.. there is some tape out there that I didn't see.. where he looks like a different version of himself. So there may be some consistency questions. Imo, most times consistency questions are rooted in self confidence. So moving to the CHL will do wonders for him. Playing against peers and playing a lot of games with a lot of ice time

His performance at the U18 IIHF wjc was certainly not underwhelming and his process in Liiga looked good. He's got quickness, good skater, excellent shooting ability, he's got some finesse too. His games in Liiga brought a lot of positives despite lack of points. He was involved a lot but the plays just weren't getting finished. The underlying details were good also. He showed a good ability to maintain possession, fight for possession, and fared well in boards work and physical confrontations.

Also, SJS used a 2nd round pick on him, not a first. At that point in the draft things get more subjective. The only players I would've taken before him at that point were Cristall and Heidt.. and maybe Sawchyn. But a great amount of teams passed on all of those players so you can't get too judgmental from the outside. Those 4 players were my best available at #36

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

Personally, I don’t think you will find video that will change your mind about Kasper. Every time I have watched him I have not been impressed either. I think he was taken a round or two too early.

San Jose must really believe that Halttunen will be able to build a solid game around his physical attributes and shot. He’s a powerful guy but he is not very fast or skilled. He’s going to be a project for sure.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's not like you get flawless players in round 2 either. If you want a Timo Meier then you get a lottery pick, otherwise it's going to be the poor man's version. Halttunen has some top attributes and upside, if he can successfully work on his weaknesses then I don't think there will be a lot of guys with better careers drafted after him. Skating is fixable and his size should at least allow him to be more than just a one-dimensional shooter. A finesse forward he'll never be, but I don't think he needs to.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki

Felt like that hit changed him last season; he was timid and stayed away from high-traffic areas after that. Lack of finishing was a problem for him the whole season; hopefully he starts scoring early on with the Knights. He’s a huge kid, can’t coach that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's not like you get flawless players in round 2 either. If you want a Timo Meier then you get a lottery pick, otherwise it's going to be the poor man's version. Halttunen has some top attributes and upside, if he can successfully work on his weaknesses then I don't think there will be a lot of guys with better careers drafted after him. Skating is fixable and his size should at least allow him to be more than just a one-dimensional shooter. A finesse forward he'll never be, but I don't think he needs to.
Yeah, I agree with this. Could turn into a good player or could not reach the NHL. Too early to know, but it’s not a bad gamble in round 2.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Kid tried to fight a rookie who made a big hit and got a double minor for roughing. Embarrassing.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad