RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
His skill has been very evident whenever I've seen him play. I think us Finns have another one to get excited about.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
There was this play today where it looked like Kakko was boxed in near the boards, but then he put the puck between his legs and turned around quickly to get away from the defender and take a shot from the slot. He is definitely one of the most skilled Finnish prospects lately, just a monster with the puck.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
There was this play today where it looked like Kakko was boxed in near the boards, but then he put the puck between his legs and turned around quickly to get away from the defender and take a shot from the slot. He is definitely one of the most skilled Finnish prospects lately, just a monster with the puck.

Kakko absolutely was very good and a bit unlucky for those scoring chances what he had.
First time saw this kid playing and i have to say Kaapo really impressed me hopefully he stays in TPS and not even consider to go CHL / USHL.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Amazing player, his effort level is so good. Should shoot more but what a playmaker.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Looks so impressive. The way he controls the play, just a crazy talent. Easily outplaying Kotkaniemi for example. Surely a super high pick next year.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Was by far the best player in the U18 Finland - RUS game. The skating, puck-handling, engaging on the physical game - just a notch ahead of the rest. On most occasions Russians couldn't strip the puck out of his stick no matter how hard they tried and if he they tried to play body instead he looked like he would just skate you down. Really impressive player and deserving of the hype. Was on the ice and helped creating 3 goals I think but only got one assist. I just wonder how much advantage he gets from being early born (b'day at 12.3) and is he even eligible for the tournament next year as he will be 18 at the time? Also can someone tell if the measurement at the Eliteprospects are false by the way or has he gained height? Listed as 6"4 / 207 lbs currently and I don't think he's that tall.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Was by far the best player in the U18 Finland - RUS game. The skating, puck-handling, engaging on the physical game - just a notch ahead of the rest. On most occasions Russians couldn't strip the puck out of his stick no matter how hard they tried and if he they tried to play body instead he looked like he would just skate you down. Really impressive player and deserving of the hype. Was on the ice and helped creating 3 goals I think but only got one assist. I just wonder how much advantage he gets from being early born (b'day at 12.3) and is he even eligible for the tournament next year as he will be 18 at the time? Also can someone tell if the measurement at the Eliteprospects are false by the way or has he gained height? Listed as 6"4 / 207 lbs currently and I don't think he's that tall.
He is 2001 born so of course he is eligible. It goes by birth year, 2000 this year

That is why Dahlin would have been eligible this year, birth day doesn't matter, only year.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He is 2001 born so of course he is eligible. It goes by birth year, 2000 this year

That is why Dahlin would have been eligible this year, birth day doesn't matter, only year.

Yeah I thought he might be but wasn't sure which way the rules stated and wasn't arsed to do the homework. You can find the answer with lesser effort from here. ;)
He will destroy the competition next year should he join the team. Looks to be doing that already.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

He is listed as 187cm / 82kg on the Leijonat.fi, seems close to true http://www.tilastopalvelu.fi/ih/gamerosters/index.php?gameid=51311&season=.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Reactions: LAINEC

Snagari

Apr 27, 2016
Is Matthews a good comparison? More physical?

That's what I immediately thought when I first saw him.
Makes perfect sense to me. Similar size, nifty stickhandling, a shorter stick, great at protecting the puck and making plays while 2 guys on him and a similar type of wrister, although Matthews' has more velocity in it.

Reactions: LAINEC

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
0+3 today vs Czech and all points were primary assists. 7 points in 4 games as underager, not too shabby.

It's clear that his main focus is in the playmaking. He doesn't seem to have the killer instinct in his game yet since he hardly uses his shot. But luckily stuff like that is one of the easier things to fix when all the other areas in his game are rock solid.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
0+3 today vs Czech and all points were primary assists. 7 points in 4 games as underager, not too shabby.

It's clear that his main focus is in the playmaking. He doesn't seem to have the killer instinct in his game yet since he hardly uses his shot. But luckily stuff like that is one of the easier things to fix when all the other areas in his game are rock solid.
He did score 25 goals this season however (and 30 assists). Maybe he just feels he can use his playmaking ability more now because he plays with better teammates? I didn't watch him playing in the juniors, only the few games in Liiga this season so I can't really comment on has he changed his style of play.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He did score 25 goals this season however (and 30 assists). Maybe he just feels he can use his playmaking ability more now because he plays with better teammates? I didn't watch him playing in the juniors, only the few games in Liiga this season so I can't really comment on has he changed his style of play.
I mean he is still a good goalscorer but at the moment I feel like that gets overshadowed by his amazing playmaking. But you can expect him to score bunch of goals in his career since he already has a good shot and he likes to drive the net.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Kakko does most of the heavy work for his line around the boards and bringing the puck into the offensive zone, so the playmaking role comes to him quite naturally. He creates a lot of space for his linemates in great positions, and he has the vision to see those opportunities, nothing wrong with that. Would like to see him take more shots on the power play when he has a clear lane, though.

Reactions: 1OApick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad