RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Could only catch glimpses today, but I still managed to catch some nice plays from him. Great puck handling, great boardplay.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
His team was very unenthuastic tonight so Kakko couldn't show much in the first two periods but in the 3rd he was solid and had couple of nice shifts.

Reactions: Lays and Nate070

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I'm really impressed by his strength, he is looking great along the boards against men and this kid is just 16! Some nifty hands too, it's going to be really hard to take the puck away from him when he develops even more.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Any idea why he's not playing today?
I feel like it has something to do with Kakko not being quite there yet to play on a daily basis in Liiga team, especially in the 1st line where you are expected to produce, no matter how young you might be. Maybe they could give him some ice-time in 2nd/3rd line so he wouldn't have to play against opponents very best players every shift.

But it's not a big deal if he isn't going to get any more games in Liiga this season, he already got the experience and now he knows excactly what to expect next year when he should become a regular in his Liiga team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Has a goal and an assist with 5 minutes left in the 2nd. I think he's been the most notable Finn so far today. His skill set stands out despite being an underager.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Wow, just finished watching the kid's plays against the Czechs and man is he impressive. Dominating would be the right word perhaps. His ability to hold on to the puck is just something else and those hands are pretty magical. Kakko is going to have a huge year next year, no doubt about it.

Would love to see the clips from other games as well since I'm not watching the tournament itself. I think he's going to do some real damage already this spring at the U18 WJHC.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I think Kakko was among the best from Finland in this tournament with Kotkaniemi.

Here is small montage from Kakko's line play in 5 nations. Kakko having his fair share of good plays.

Reactions: martinez and Vaslof

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think Kakko was among the best from Finland in this tournament with Kotkaniemi.

Here is small montage from Kakko's line play in 5 nations. Kakko having his fair share of good plays.
Great video! TPS no doubt has high hopes for him, he has a lot of work to do in the summer to get the physical talent needed for Liiga, but no doubt he can make it. His skill is already there.

I don't think we see him in Liiga again this season, which is understandable as TPS is getting their best players in form and ready from the injured reserve, payoffs are about to start and they are really going for it. Hopefully we see him in the U18s, unless TPS would be strougling with injuries.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I just discovered this kid recently. Saw him in MI on Saturday. He played pretty well. The name... it might be the best I have EVER heard. I'm definitely a fan. Someone send me this kid's jersey!!!!

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Great compilation. Thanks a lot!

That pair of hands. Or perhaps Kakko uses glue on the exterior tape before the games? ;)

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Where is the ranking? Could you post it to 2019 draft prospects thread?
There is no ranking, I just read Pronman's article about 2018/2019 draft players at the U18 tournament. He just mentioned he has Kakko 2nd after Hughes.

Last edited:

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
There is no ranking, I just read Pronman's article about 2018/2019 draft players in the U18 tournament. He just mentioned he has Kakko 2nd after Hughes.
New Matthews against Laine, of course especially Laine is different type compared to Kakko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad