RW Jesse Puljujärvi - Kärpät, Liiga (2016 Draft) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
I'm not sure if this is posted already, but
Pulju did do some tests, at least left & right hand grip and wing span

https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/

I find it really weird that they could measure his wingspan but not his height. They were measured at the same place after all. Maybe he can't stand up straight with his healing knee? Either way, as the handgrip tests indicate, Puljujärvi would have aced the tests if he was healthy. He has stated before that he prides himself a "himoharjoittelija" which could be translated as "gym rat" as well as "rink rat". His terrific work ethic embodies what the Blue Jackets' identity is.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I find it really weird that they could measure his wingspan but not his height. They were measured at the same place after all. Maybe he can't stand up straight with his healing knee? Either way, as the handgrip tests indicate, Puljujärvi would have aced the tests if he was healthy. He has stated before that he prides himself a "himoharjoittelija" which could be translated as "gym rat" as well as "rink rat". His terrific work ethic embodies what the Blue Jackets' identity is.

His wingspan wasn't measured according to this site: http://www.topendsports.com/sport/icehockey/nhl-combine-results-2016.htm

* Jesse Puljujarvi was not tested at the combine, listed is his measurement from earlier in the year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barring a trade, Puljujarvi is going to be the 3rd pick of this draft. Columbus will have a terrific prospect and player here.

If he was in the 2015 draft and I was picking. I would have made him the 3rd pick in this draft also. This is how high I regard his skill, character, and year this season. A very high level prospect.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I find it weird how the interviewers asked about him being born in Sweden. his parents were Finnish immigrants just like mine and so many others after the wars and then they moved back to Finland.

I dont blame them for their curiosity but they put it in a misleading way

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
I find it weird how the interviewers asked about him being born in Sweden. his parents were Finnish immigrants just like mine and so many others after the wars and then they moved back to Finland.

I dont blame them for their curiosity but they put it in a misleading way
Yeah, that gets highlighted A LOT, out of no reason whatsoever. I do get it that when information is scarce, a story must be made out of something, but when it goes to interviewers asking questions about what language they speak at home or a screen with a huge yellow banner notifying how Puljujärvi was born in Sweden (or someone stopping their sentence just to say "Puljujarvi, born in Sweden, is a...", it gets a tad irritating for us Finns.

One factor could be the unlucky occurrence of a similar Finnish name, Pääjärvi, on a Swedish player (this has also birthed the annoying phenomenon of people bringing up Magnus Pääjärvi in Jesse Puljujärvi discussions, although the only things in common are that they're both forwards). In the mind of a North American hockey fan or a media reporter, last names ending in -järvi ("lake" in Finnish) seem like a Swedish thing because that 75% Swedish guy was in the NHL first.

I'd be OK with it if Jesse was genetically or even culturally a Swede, but as he is neither, it's a non-story. However, people's need to make a story out of this will just haunt and irritate us forever, as Pulju himself will struggle to communicate "my parents are Finns who just happened to live and work in Sweden at the time" in clear English.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pronman is higher on Puljujarvi than I thought. He has him as the 6th best prospect of the past 5 drafts. Personally, I think thats a bit high, but it indicated he thinks he would of been worthy of the first overall pick in 2012 and 2014. And most notably, the 2nd best Finnish prospect in that time frame, ahead of Barkov.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pronman is higher on Puljujarvi than I thought. He has him as the 6th best prospect of the past 5 drafts. Personally, I think thats a bit high, but it indicated he thinks he would of been worthy of the first overall pick in 2012 and 2014. And most notably, the 2nd best Finnish prospect in that time frame, ahead of Barkov.

Wow, wouldn't have guessed that.

But if he develops well he has potential to be one of the best if not the best Rw in the game.
But Barkov should be ahead of him.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

But if he develops well he has potential to be one of the best if not the best Rw in the game.

Barkov's draft season was better than MacKinnon's. But I'm a bit alone with that opinion, so it might be I was clouded by watching disproportionate amount of his games compared to Jones/MacKinnon. Well at least I'm consistent as I had that view in late 2012 already. Congratulated Nashville fans that they would get to pick the best player of them all. Laine is a lot different though, he would have benefitted a lot playing alongside Barkov if Barkov would have stayed in Finland until this year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He's trying to work a fine balance of his old views and incorporating his new methods, which creates an interesting list. Its a difficult balance to maintain. But if I remember Pronman's old list from 2013 he had Barkov 5th, behind the Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones and Nicushkin). He emphasizes birth day heavily again (which plays into Barkov's favor vs Nicushkin). But if at one point you viewed Nicushkin as the better prospect than Barkov, its not hard to see how he arrived at the conclusion Puljujarvi, is better than Barkov at a comparable stage.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Barkov's draft season was better than MacKinnon's. But I'm a bit alone with that opinion, so it might be I was clouded by watching disproportionate amount of his games compared to Jones/MacKinnon. Well at least I'm consistent as I had that view in late 2012 already. Congratulated Nashville fans that they would get to pick the best player of them all. Laine is a lot different though, he would have benefitted a lot playing alongside Barkov if Barkov would have stayed in Finland until this year.
Said this other places, Finland hadn't produces a top-talent in so long til Barkov people were sceptical of his numbers. I personally believe what Barkov did, and his season this year has helped the stock of both Laine and Puljujarvi. Prior to Barkov the biggest guys where Pulkinnen and Granlund for recent comparables, which in hindsight I think hurt how Barkov was evaluated, especially due to him having a bad WJC (good point totals, but mostly in the relegation round).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's trying to work a fine balance of his old views and incorporating his new methods, which creates an interesting list. Its a difficult balance to maintain. But if I remember Pronman's old list from 2013 he had Barkov 5th, behind the Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones and Nicushkin). He emphasizes birth day heavily again (which plays into Barkov's favor vs Nicushkin). But if at one point you viewed Nicushkin as the better prospect than Barkov, its not hard to see how he arrived at the conclusion Puljujarvi, is better than Barkov at a comparable stage.

Just shows how underrated Barkov was, and how much he was punished due to Finland not being able to produce any high end players for years.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Said this other places, Finland hadn't produces a top-talent in so long til Barkov people were sceptical of his numbers. I personally believe what Barkov did, and his season this year has helped the stock of both Laine and Puljujarvi. Prior to Barkov the biggest guys where Pulkinnen and Granlund for recent comparables, which in hindsight I think hurt how Barkov was evaluated, especially due to him having a bad WJC (good point totals, but mostly in the relegation round).

Barkov's draft season brought Finland back on the map so to say. However I think both of the players would be drafted where they are about to, regardless of what Barkov managed to do. He should have been the first guy drafted, but at the time the scouts weren't able to get a clear picture of his potential because he was playing a league which's quality level they couldn't entirely comprehend. If you look at the achievement record of all three, Laine is in his own tier entirely, even historically speaking. It's such a joy seeing these kid develope by having the luxury of watching professional level sports at the same time. There will be more players to follow naturally, but 2016 was always going to be the biggest year for the Finns.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site

I agree, but i think Barkov effect to other Finlad draft eligible stock last and this year players who most i think would be drafted 3-4th round was (Hintz example) and will be drafted earlier this year too (maybe Kuokkanen, Tuulola etc.). And not only Barkov, it's whole Finland ice hockey and most of Finland junior hockey when we first win 2014 WJC. Also Ristolainen, Määttä, Teräväinen, Barkov promising play in NHL and last year Finland was second in U18 and this year we win WJC and that domination these big framed 17 years old players Laine, Pulju and Juolevi against older first rounders, then U18 gold and WHC silver and youngsters Laine, Aho, Pokka, Lindell and Rantanen in that WHC team.

Also good and promising play in AHL this season to players like Lindell, Pokka, Honka, Rantanen and Kapanen (one of the youngest in players in AHL). These all things will affect in good way to Finnish players draft stocks and most of the players who will drafted lower, but Laine and Puljujärvi have made them self to be a top 3 prospect with both playing one of the bests non drafted seasons after Jagr. Also Juolevi in WJC, only 17 years old and was second best D to whole tournament and made point record to 17's D points, play good his first season in NA (without healthy summer training) and was better and better when he play payoffs, won OHL champion and yet was better in M-cup to win that champion too.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Wish Jets could get both Laine and Puljujarvi because I can see Puljujarvi absolutely shredding too. I wish we had got to see him play at WC. Columbus would be dumb to move the pick except for a huge overpay.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

McDavid
Eichel
Matthews
Mackinnon
Ekblad
Pulujuarvi
Barkov/Laine
Marner
Jones
Reinhart

Is that sort of the order? Thatd be mine

ijuka

May 14, 2016
McDavid
Eichel
Matthews
Mackinnon
Ekblad
Pulujuarvi
Barkov/Laine
Marner
Jones
Reinhart

Is that sort of the order? Thatd be mine

You don't even want to know.

Puljujärvi certainly plays with a very "full steam ahead" play style. The opposing players don't get much time to think about what to have for dinner.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Apparently BJs dont want him anymore this is getting crazy maybe we will see some top pick trades :)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Apparently BJs dont want him anymore this is getting crazy maybe we will see some top pick trades :)

I wonder if CBJ is worried about this knee surgery he had, on top of the whole 'they might prefer to trade down and draft a center' angle that is becoming more and more prevalent.

There's really no explanation. The last time JP played a legit game, he was dominant and won a Gold Medal.

coachwithoutahead

Nov 21, 2008
Barring a trade, Puljujarvi is going to be the 3rd pick of this draft. Columbus will have a terrific prospect and player here.

If he was in the 2015 draft and I was picking. I would have made him the 3rd pick in this draft also. This is how high I regard his skill, character, and year this season. A very high level prospect.

I'd think long and hard about taking Puljujarvi ahead of Eichel. Both are elite prospects, but the way Pulj manages the game when he's on the ice reminds me of some of the all-time greats. He's 6'4, 205, skates a blazing 13.51, all his hockey-related skills are either great or elite, and he has a great attitude/ work ethic. The fact that he tied Gretzky's WJC points record in his draft year, as one of the younger players in his draft class is insane. I really hope for the sake of all Blue Jackets fans, Jarmo and co. don't mess this one up.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wonder if CBJ is worried about this knee surgery he had, on top of the whole 'they might prefer to trade down and draft a center' angle that is becoming more and more prevalent.

There's really no explanation. The last time JP played a legit game, he was dominant and won a Gold Medal.

The knee surgery was minor, more of precausion than a serious injury.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-va...rade-with-5-cbj-may-not-be-sold-on-puljujarvi

Don't believe it until I see it. But that doesn't stop me from drooling over the mental image of McDavid centering Puljujärvi on the same line. The speed of that line would be lethal.

If it happens gotta feel for CBJ fans though. Most of them seem to be eager with the idea of drafting Puljujärvi and wouldn't want anyone's hopes to be crashed like that. They would miss on a special player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad