RW Jesse Puljujärvi - Kärpät, Liiga (2016 Draft) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Thread continued from HERE. U18 semi-finals are Saturday, where Puljujarvi and Finland play the USA.
Dude go eat a cobweb or something, we're trying to talk hockey here =)
No but seriously it looks like he lacks what some greats do. The fire for the game. He obviously set up some of his teammates last game but he also mishandled the puck a lot.. Yet he still delivered with a nifty pass and a nifty goal. Doesn't it seem like that the only thing he needs anymore is physicality (and his puck handling skills back)?

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
^ Could be because of jet-lag or could be because he's unconsciously not taking this tournament seriously ... he's been playing with adults so long time that it might cause him not do his full effort in the game (you feel you're above the others). You can see this in the way how he only momentarily plays like he should. But when he does, you can see he truly is elite.

And he definitely does have the fire for the game and he loves the hockey so much ... often so much that it actually hurts his performance. Thus I project this guy to become elite grinder (top-10 in NHL) with good-to-decent offensive output in the NHL level, but with proper training with shooting especially he might make it to highest level. But all that is left to be seen.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Dude go eat a cobweb or something, we're trying to talk hockey here =)
No but seriously it looks like he lacks what some greats do. The fire for the game. He obviously set up some of his teammates last game but he also mishandled the puck a lot.. Yet he still delivered with a nifty pass and a nifty goal. Doesn't it seem like that the only thing he needs anymore is physicality (and his puck handling skills back)?

That last game was in no way a good measurement stick. He's clearly not giving 100% effort, he was pretty much coasting out there.

Can't blame him. It's not easy mentally to play against the U17 Russian team after you've won the WJC gold and played against men all season long + semifinals.

I'd say the next game will be much better.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
he hasnt looked like a #3 pick. Best player on that team maybe. Great vision. Flashes of brilliance with his playmaking. Good at using his body to create space for playmaking, but he's looked slow and clumsy with the puck out there. And not that great at all without the puck. Maybe just not used to the ice size, or dealing with jetlag and injuries. Either way, He definately does not look to be a full tier above the next group of prospects and I expected more playing against Canada, and then a bunch of 16 yo's.

If it's a lack of interest that he's showing at this tourney, then I wouldn't want him on my team either. This is a big tournament. Sure it's not the world juniors, but Puljujarvi is not above this. And could find himself being picked below some of the tourneys top performers if he can't show better. I'm sure scouts are watching closely to see what he can do without aho or Laine at this tourney. Does 3 inches really make him a better prospect then someone like nylander, who pretty much brings the same game with better hands? Or someone like dubois, who's just as big, uses his size better, and has more of a 2 way game?

He definately did not look nhl ready in those two games.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
he hasnt looked like a #3 pick. Best player on that team maybe. Great vision. Flashes of brilliance with his playmaking. Good at using his body to create space for playmaking, but he's looked slow and clumsy with the puck out there. And not that great at all without the puck. Maybe just not used to the ice size, or dealing with jetlag and injuries. Either way, He definately does not look to be a full tier above the next group of prospects and I expected more playing against Canada, and then a bunch of 16 yo's.

If it's a lack of interest that he's showing at this tourney, then I wouldn't want him on my team either. This is a big tournament. Sure it's not the world juniors, but Puljujarvi is not above this. And could find himself being picked below some of the tourneys top performers if he can't show better. I'm sure scouts are watching closely to see what he can do without aho or Laine at this tourney. Does 3 inches really make him a better prospect then someone like nylander, who pretty much brings the same game with better hands? Or someone like dubois, who's just as big, uses his size better, and has more of a 2 way game?

He's played 90 games this year, + 60 against men, has few injuries and flew there just after the playoffs had finished, is it really that surprising he isn't at his best? I doubt you want to say U18> WJC20+Liiga?

One thing he doesn't lack is compete level, that's his strenght, and it's 6months to the next NHL season.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

Yeah would be really disappointed if he can't crush Rajala's all time points record in this very meaningful tournament.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
He's played 90 games this year, + 60 against men, has few injuries and flew there just after the playoffs had finished, is it really that surprising he isn't at his best? I doubt you want to say U18> WJC20+Liiga?

One thing he doesn't lack is compete level, that's his strenght, and it's 6months to the next NHL season.

Tyson jost showed him it doesn't matter if you play against men all year, or the bchl. Russia showed him it doesn't matter if you're playing 16 yo's. I was just giving my observations of him based off this tournament which is a level playing field for players from all leagues, and a measuring stick for scouts. And I did take into account the injuries, flights, rink size. I am not discounting his season and world juniors. If I was, Clayton Keller would currently be ranked ahead of him on my list, which he is not.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Tyson jost showed him it doesn't matter if you play against men all year, or the bchl. Russia showed him it doesn't matter if you're playing 16 yo's. I was just giving my observations of him based off this tournament which is a level playing field for players from all leagues, and a measuring stick for scouts. And I did take into account the injuries, flights, rink size. I am not discounting his season and world juniors. If I was, Clayton Keller would currently be ranked ahead of him on my list, which he is not.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I highly doubt you will see any scouts saying Jost=Pulju after this tourney.

Pretty clearly you didnt take into account of those facts when reading your post.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I highly doubt you will see any scouts saying Jost=Pulju after this tourney.

Pretty clearly you didnt take into account of those facts when reading your post.
Jost has the highest ppg of any draft eligible this season. While this tournament will not effect pulj's draft ranking all that much. (He's earned at least top 5) Scouts have had a hard time properly gauging just how good Jost is because of the league he played. A tournament like this could potentially move him up 10 spots on somebodys list..

These two may be selected in the draft closer then you think.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Jost has the highest ppg of any draft eligible this season. While this tournament will not effect pulj's draft ranking all that much. (He's earned at least top 5) Scouts have had a hard time properly gauging just how good Jost is because of the league he played. A tournament like this could potentially move him up 10 spots on somebodys list..

These two may be selected in the draft closer then you think.

Sorry to drop you back to the real life but Puljujärvi is easily lock 3 and there is not any competition in that spot, not even close. There is big 3 this draft and they are Matthews, Laine and Pulju with very wide margin.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Sorry to drop you back to the real life but Puljujärvi is easily lock 3 and there is not any competition in that spot, not even close. There is big 3 this draft and they are Matthews, Laine and Pulju with very wide margin.

McKeens had McLeod as 3. Jost is better then McLeod. Just sayin. Pulj is not a lock. He probably will go top 3... But if he doesn't, it's because this tournament matters. Maybe not to wjc Finland fans. Maybe not to pulj. But to scouts and gms it does. And he hasn't been as good as other top prospects here. And I'm sure scouts are taking notes at these games not just watching for fun cuz they already got there lists done.

I expect pulj to go before him. Jost won't be far behind. Stop with your blind love and realize everything I've said in here is honest. This tournament is proving there is competition. Show us why we should pick you at 3. That is what gm's want Puljujarvi to do right now. If he can't, he might slip.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Jost is 15th in Mckeen's rankings. So obviously he's not better than Mcleod.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
McKeens had McLeod as 3. Jost is better then McLeod. Just sayin. Pulj is not a lock. He probably will go top 3... But if he doesn't, it's because this tournament matters. Maybe not to wjc Finland fans. Maybe not to pulj. But to scouts and gms it does. And he hasn't been as good as other top prospects here. And I'm sure scouts are taking notes at these games not just watching for fun cuz they already got there lists done.

I expect pulj to go before him. Jost won't be far behind. Stop with your blind love and realize everything I've said in here is honest. This tournament is proving there is competition. Show us why we should pick you at 3. That is what gm's want Puljujarvi to do right now. If he can't, he might slip.

Idk what the bolded is supposed to mean, but the only players that should go before Puljujarvi are Laine and Matthews.

Idk who you think is going to pass Puljujarvi, you keep insisting that this tournament matters and that Pulju will drop but his closest competition hasn't been great either. Chychrun has been worse than him, so has McLeod, and Nylander against better competition. Tkachuck, Dubois, and Juolevi aren't playing, and even with a great tournament there's no way Jost goes #3oa... that's absurd. The top-3 is safe, no matter how much you want it to not be.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012

After the WJC... After Liiga season... After pretty much single-handedly winning the bronze game... The U18s are what will determine Pulju's draft spot. I see.

He has played 2 games. The first one he probably had some jet-lag, in the other game he put up 2 points. Alex Nylander, probably his closest competition, has 8 points in 5 games. Brett Howden, a guy who's not even PPG in WHL has 8 points in 4 games. Don't you think you're being a bit ridiculous? If you are still not convinced, just remember that Puljujärvi did basically the same as your boy Jost, only difference is that he did it in the WJCs. I mean like against 19-year-olds.

And calling Jesse "slow" is probably the most ridiculous thing ever. He has great speed that he used against Russia, but he doesn't need to be hustling all over the ice to be effective. Even though I agree that he looked slightly disinterested, after watching all the WJC games plus numerous regular season games and then playoffs, I couldn't worry less. He looks like a man amongst boys.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Idk what the bolded is supposed to mean, but the only players that should go before Puljujarvi are Laine and Matthews.

Idk who you think is going to pass Puljujarvi, you keep insisting that this tournament matters and that Pulju will drop but his closest competition hasn't been great either. Chychrun has been worse than him, so has McLeod, and Nylander against better competition. Tkachuck, Dubois, and Juolevi aren't playing, and even with a great tournament there's no way Jost goes #3oa... that's absurd. The top-3 is safe, no matter how much you want it to not be.
So if tkachuck goes and gets another couple hat tricks on his way to a memorial cup championship, and pulj doesnt get another point in this tourney, while looking worse then Jost,Keller,nylander it's still without a doubt a lock?

Why the hell would every gm be watching this tournament if it didn't matter? Of course it matters.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
So if tkachuck goes and gets another couple hat tricks on his way to a memorial cup championship, and pulj doesnt get another point in this tourney, while looking worse then Jost,Keller,nylander it's still without a doubt a lock?

Why the hell would every gm be watching this tournament if it didn't matter? Of course it matters.

Of course it matters. It just doesn't matter much at this point. It might cause some movement, but there is no way this tournament affects the top spots in a meaningful way. Also a good idea to scout next year's draft eligibles too, such as Tolvanen :naughty:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

Quite literally, yes. It is still a lock. None of Tkachuck, Jost, Keller, or Nylander are passing Puljujarvi. You're acting like Puljujarvi has been scoring on his own net, he's still a PPG. No team is going to value a broken Puljujarvi's play in the U-18 tournament over his play in the U-20 tournament, or in the Liiga this season.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
After the WJC... After Liiga season... After pretty much single-handedly winning the bronze game... The U18s are what will determine Pulju's draft spot. I see.

He has played 2 games. The first one he probably had some jet-lag, in the other game he put up 2 points. Alex Nylander, probably his closest competition, has 8 points in 5 games. Brett Howden, a guy who's not even PPG in WHL has 8 points in 4 games. Don't you think you're being a bit ridiculous? If you are still not convinced, just remember that Puljujärvi did basically the same as your boy Jost, only difference is that he did it in the WJCs. I mean like against 19-year-olds.

And calling Jesse "slow" is probably the most ridiculous thing ever. He has great speed that he used against Russia, but he doesn't need to be hustling all over the ice to be effective. Even though I agree that he looked slightly disinterested, after watching all the WJC games plus numerous regular season games and then playoffs, I couldn't worry less. He looks like a man amongst boys.
I said he looked slow and clumsy with the puck. Ya he has soft hands, but the stickhandling was slow. Which is not the most ridiculous thing ever. Not the worst criticism in the world either. Chill.

The most ridiculous thing ever is thinking that pulj is a lock for the 3 spot so he doesn't have to show interest.

The most ridiculous thing ever is thinking gm's don't care about how he performs here.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Quite literally, yes. It is still a lock. None of Tkachuck, Jost, Keller, or Nylander are passing Puljujarvi. You're acting like Puljujarvi has been scoring on his own net, he's still a PPG. No team is going to value a broken Puljujarvi's play in the U-18 tournament over his play in the U-20 tournament, or in the Liiga this season.

That's your opinion, nothing literal about it. I said he could slip to 5th worst case scenario. I'm not wrong for holding that opinion. I also don't think a 5th overall pick is someone who scores in his own net. So no, I'm not suggesting that.

for all you know, on one list, somewhere in the nhl, somebody already has dubois ahead. It's not a lock. You guys are foolish for thinking that.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site

McLeod it far away to 3rd, actually i don't think he will be drafted top 7 i think he is more close to 10 maybe 9.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site

So then why they didn't draft Toni Rajala first overal after his performance in U18? Cause this not matter anymore in those first places, maybe there can be some turn in top 10 but not top3, they are so far away to others and i could bet my all money for this easily. Also they can maybe find some 2nd, 3 rounder here and just see player one more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad