RW Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2014, 6th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets fan here....

I'm happy that we got Ehlers, but I think Virtanen is an excellent prospect. I thought he was head and shoulders above Perlini at the U-18 WJHC. He plays with speed and energy and showed good vision and poise. He's very young. I think he has a bright future. I never really understood why some had concerns about him (like Button).

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Im not sure either because when he had him at 46 or whatever he had him at, he came on vc radio and the host asked him who vc should draft at 6, and he said virtanen would be a good fit. :huh:

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Crazy thing to me seeing interviews like this with Virtanen, is that he actually looks very "lanky"...yet already apparently a good bit over 200lbs, with presumably quite a bit of room to add more mass and strength. That's a big frame. :amazed:

I've seen him several times at the gym, trust me he isn't lanky he's pretty big when you see him in person, looking at him you'd think 210 is a conservative number but he's pretty shredded. He's a step ahead of his Hitmen counterparts in their off ice workouts asides Linden Penner(who was just traded). He could definitely add a few pounds if he wanted but you don't want to slow yourself down on the ice there.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I've seen him several times at the gym, trust me he isn't lanky he's pretty big when you see him in person, looking at him you'd think 210 is a conservative number but he's pretty shredded. He's a step ahead of his Hitmen counterparts in their off ice workouts asides Linden Penner(who was just traded). He could definitely add a few pounds if he wanted but you don't want to slow yourself down on the ice there.

Interesting.

I didn't mean to imply that i'd expect him to add tons and tons more mass or that he hasn't put on a lot of weight already, but more just a comment towards the fact that he's just a big kid, with a big kid frame. The sort of prospect you expect to legitimately play at 215-220lbs, without being "overbulked" compromising speed/agility. Max Pacioretty type frame.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Jets fan here....

I'm happy that we got Ehlers, but I think Virtanen is an excellent prospect. I thought he was head and shoulders above Perlini at the U-18 WJHC. He plays with speed and energy and showed good vision and poise. He's very young. I think he has a bright future. I never really understood why some had concerns about him (like Button).

Even more impressive when you consider he was playing through and injured shoulder. Lookin forward to watching him make Button look like a fool.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
Translation: We made a mistake picking this guy at #6, but better it happen this year than next year.

A mistake is still a mistake.

The Canucks have really blown their 1st round draft picks the past few years.

Nichushkin - Scherbak/Barbashev/HoSang - Ehlers, could've been the 1st line of the future.

Instead we have:

Virtanen - Horvat - McCann, the 3rd line of the future.

Better hope the Sedins can still be elite players for the next 7 years, because there is very little elite talent in the Canucks prospect pool.

Virtanen has just as much upside as Ehlers & Nylander IMO even though they may be more offensively gifted in junior/europe does not mean that will translate to the NHL.

McCann has a lot of un-tapped offensive potential including one of the best wrist shots in the draft. He was constantly given defensive zone starts and PK time because thats what he excels at.

Nichushkin does look like the better player at the moment but you have to remember that the Canucks were still considered a very good team at the 2013 draft, Nichushkin had already gone on record saying he would go back to the KHL if he didn't make the roster of the NHL team that drafted him and that was soething that Gillis & co. had no intention of happening (their roster was pretty much set) So had they drafted Nichushkin they would then have to explain to the fan base why they traded a stud young goalie for a guy who may not even join the team.

arsmaster*

Virtanen has just as much upside as Ehlers & Nylander IMO even though they may be more offensively gifted in junior/europe does not mean that will translate to the NHL.

McCann has a lot of un-tapped offensive potential including one of the best wrist shots in the draft. He was constantly given defensive zone starts and PK time because thats what he excels at.

Nichushkin does look like the better player at the moment but you have to remember that the Canucks were still considered a very good team at the 2013 draft, Nichushkin had already gone on record saying he would go back to the KHL if he didn't make the roster of the NHL team that drafted him and that was soething that Gillis & co. had no intention of happening (their roster was pretty much set) So had they drafted Nichushkin they would then have to explain to the fan base why they traded a stud young goalie for a guy who may not even join the team.
For some reason people want to continue with the Horvat-Nichushkin comps. I don't know why, every knew Nichushkin has a more rare skill set/size-speed combo, but that doesn't mean you're a better player in the long term. I also don't understand how putting up ~30 points with 1st line icetime is all that impressive.

That said, it looks like Vancouver has a similar styled prospect to Nichuchkin in Virtanen. Same style of game, although Virtanen has a plus shot whereas I'd say Nichushkin's is just average, although he probably has a better playmaking arsenal at this time.

I'm pretty content with how that's shaken out so far, and if Virtanen can focus on improving his board play (mostly just hanging onto the puck longer) he'll be even better moving forward.

Nichushkin is the better "prospect", but he also doesn't bring the shot/run you over factor.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
Looks like he's been cleared for contact and is possibly going to be back playing on Oct 24th.

What kind of team are the Hitmen expected to be like and how does Virtanen fit into that? What are your opinion of the new coach Hitmen fans?

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Looks like Jake's back on the ice in his first game since his surgery. I'm personally expecting a slow start with limited ice time, but should be interesting to see how he does. WHL - Calgary at Kootenay @ 6pm.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
wow 5 points already in 2 games. Anyone there or watching??? how's he looks?

First game was good, but in the 3rd he was being a Kesler like try hard...really put the blinders on trying to score(In a 9-2 victory). Tonight he started slowish got hit high, and then has gone relatively beast mode, dominating the game physically, and with his speed. Also has been excellent on the PP(actually passing out there) . Defensively he's been just ok.

Does this help :)

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I can't stand the Canucks but I love their Horvat and Virtanen picks! Lots of character, grit, and talent!

Virtanen reminds me of Evander Kane when I watch him play.

The Timbits

Oct 26, 2014
Calgary
Hope he can play that well during tomorrow's game. Would be nice if he scored a couple goals or maybe three, although I'm sure he'll probably be tired playing his 3rd game in as many nights.

OT: Does anyone know how the "Bring a Buddy" tickets work? Going to only my second hockey game tomorrow, so I'm out of the loop on this hahaha. If the explanation is going to take long, just PM me :P (Yes, this is my first post. Figured I do enough creeping on this site that maybe I should just get an account.)

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
What did the high hit on Jake Virtanen look like? I'm glad he was able to come back thankfully.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I was hoping for Nylander at the draft. But I'm happy Virtanen is off to a hot start. For the the Canucks (and fans) sakes' we need him to pan out.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
What did the high hit on Jake Virtanen look like? I'm glad he was able to come back thankfully.

He was driving the net hard and cut across the slot to avoid a defender. He ended up falling/jumping over the guy....right into the shoulder/elbow of the second dman ( Kyle Becker whos 6'4 220). His momentum carried him towards the corner , and he was on the ice not moving for 10ish seconds. Started to move by the time the trainer got there. Was helped off, and went down the tunnel. Didn't miss a shift, and scored a PPG right after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad