RW Jake Virtanen (2014, 6th, VAN) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Never understood the hype for this kid. Watching the draft, I cheered when Vancouver somehow passed on William Nylander for him because I knew the leafs were about to get a steal at pick number 8

Well, maybe one day Nylander will make the NHL, meanwhile Virtanen and even McCann are in the show, clearly ahead in their development. Both outscored Nylander in the preseason too. hmmmmm maybe you're onto something here...

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Never understood the hype for this kid. Watching the draft, I cheered when Vancouver somehow passed on William Nylander for him because I knew the leafs were about to get a steal at pick number 8

Great timing for this comment, Nylander back to the AHL, virtanen is NHL body ready, outplayed him, and had more points than him. :laugh:

Why do people seem to feel better by hating on prospects around their prospects. Insecurity?, I don't get it.

You know, it's possible that there are multiple solid prospects around the same area, who would have thunk it.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Great timing for this comment, Nylander back to the AHL, virtanen is NHL body ready, outplayed him, and had more points than him. :laugh:

Why do people seem to feel better by hating on prospects around their prospects. Insecurity?, I don't get it.

You know, it's possible that there are multiple solid prospects around the same area, who would have thunk it.
Not too sure about the "outplayed" part. Admittedly I did not watch all the games of both teams.

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014

blah blah blah another day and another leafs fan feeling left out by the lack of attention to his darling Nylander.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Virtanen this preseason. Initially I felt he didn't deserve to be in the NHL, but now I think he might just make it for the whole season.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
C'mon everyone, let's not get silly. They are both great young players. They have nothing to do with one another, nor their respective threads.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
C'mon everyone, let's not get silly. They are both great young players. They have nothing to do with one another, nor their respective threads.

Getting a bit annoying with all these nylander this, nylander that comments in every single thread.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

He's a freak physcially. Incredible balance, strength and speed. He hits hard. To go along with a really good shot and some serious offensvie potential that he's just scratching the surface of. If you can't see it than maybe take off those hate glasses? He definitely has a few warts, but they're not as apparent as many people thought. He's a power forward that's hard to find. We'll see how he develops but he's got a lot of potential.

arsmaster*

This just in....Maple Leafs fans, we don't care about Nylander....if you want fluff his pillow there are plenty of threads for that.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Before proclaiming Nylander a 'steal' let's watch the players first play a few NHL games. There are all of Ehlers, Virtanen, Ritchie, Da Colle and let's throw in Larkin as well, who look to be pretty close in terms of overall play. Each are somewhat different players.
There's no doubt that Nylander has looked very promising post draft but there are still questions for all of the players as to how their play will translate to the NHL. We've seen lots of very successful AHL players not be able to translate that to the NHL.
Again, let's wait until we see them in the NHL.

Last edited:

Cotton

May 13, 2013

I'm not bothering to read the previous pages on this, or why Nylander is in the conversation, but the bolded isn't true at all. And I'm a Virtanen fan who's watched both. But Nylander shouldn't be talked about in here anyway.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

As of right now, Virtanen is an NHL player on a better team while Nylander is in the AHL

Mar 12, 2009
Getting a bit annoying with all these nylander this, nylander that comments in every single thread.

Before that Leaf fan, the last guy to bring Nylander up, and get people talking about him again, was a Canuck fan. I know that because I found it quite funny that he was bringing him up, despite complaining previously that other fans brought him up in Virtanen threads.

Canuck fans get trolled by one of the handful of Leaf fans that pop up saying those types of things in all of these threads, and getting upset at the entire Leaf fan base about it. I'd have more sympathy if I didn't see the some of the same posters complaining here in other threads making the same types of comments they are complaining about. I find it funny when Canuck fans (happens across most fan bases though with some fans at least) become outraged when their prospect was bashed, but then go on to act in the exact same way...yet somehow think and claim they are different, better and objective compared to other fans. Delusion in action is comical.

Last edited:

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014

Virtanen doubled Nylander's points in preseason, and didn't look out of place. Nylander was weak and won't translate to the NHL. Most overrated prospect in the league.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Hehe, I must say that while I don't really condone the Nylander bashing or think it's even necessary, it is kinda nice to see Canuck fans actually sticking up for Virtanen for probably the first time since the draft. This thread has largely been a bunch of Canuck fans lamenting that we didn't take Ehlers or Nylander, then the odd neutral fan coming in and saying Virtanen's not that bad of a prospect as we are making him out.

Out with the self-loathing, in with the bashing of other prospects. Not great but I like it better :)

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Hehe, I must say that while I don't really condone the Nylander bashing or think it's even necessary, it is kinda nice to see Canuck fans actually sticking up for Virtanen for probably the first time since the draft. This thread has largely been a bunch of Canuck fans lamenting that we didn't take Ehlers or Nylander, then the odd neutral fan coming in and saying Virtanen's not that bad of a prospect as we are making him out.

Out with the self-loathing, in with the bashing of other prospects. Not great but I like it better :)

Hah... That's a great observation. :laugh:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

I love how Toronto always have the "best" prospects but they never get anywhere in the standings

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I could wander through a mosquito infested swamp for 3 days and get less bites than Caitlyn Jenner

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I could wander through a mosquito infested swamp for 3 days and get less bites than Caitlyn Jenner

Probably exactly what the objective of his/her post was.
The fish were biting and I took the bait as well. :laugh:
On the positive side though, it's the first time the Nylander thread hasn't been on page one of the Prospects page for about the last two years.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
Before that Leaf fan, the last guy to bring Nylander up, and get people talking about him again, was a Canuck fan. I know that because I found it quite funny that he was bringing him up, despite complaining previously that other fans brought him up in Virtanen threads.

Canuck fans get trolled by one of the handful of Leaf fans that pop up saying those types of things in all of these threads, and getting upset at the entire Leaf fan base about it. I'd have more sympathy if I didn't see the some of the same posters complaining here in other threads making the same types of comments they are complaining about. I find it funny when Canuck fans (happens across most fan bases though with some fans at least) become outraged when their prospect was bashed, but then go on to act in the exact same way...yet somehow think and claim they are different, better and objective compared to other fans. Delusion in action is comical.

Sounds like you're getting trolled:sarcasm:

Anyways, I don't get the comparing of these two players as they have very little in common. Kind of like comparing Nas to Bert. Vancouver chose the right guy for their team and TO got what they wanted. End of story.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
i'd still take nylander over virtanen

but virtanen has made good strides over just the preseason, like i'm not in a situation wher ei'm frustrated w him after every game.

-noted anti-virtanen poster

whlscowt

Nylander = Ahl
Virtanen = NHL

An argument could be made that Toronto's development path could be better long term for their player. Neither are going to have a gigantic impact this season.

I like Virtanen's game, but I still think a year to work on things in the dub would do wonders. Especially as the guy. Reinhart for example looks a lot better this season than he did last--just because it's a lesser league against kids, doesn't mean he can't improve.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
An argument could be made that Toronto's development path could be better long term for their player. Neither are going to have a gigantic impact this season.

I like Virtanen's game, but I still think a year to work on things in the dub would do wonders. Especially as the guy. Reinhart for example looks a lot better this season than he did last--just because it's a lesser league against kids, doesn't mean he can't improve.

I've heard quite a few commentators/analysts claim that no player has ever been hurt by going back to junior. Most recently Ferraro, on tsn 1040 in Vancouver. It got me thinking: has there ever been a player hurt by going back to junior?

I can come up with Bulmer who almost made the Wild, sent back after 9 games to work on his offence. Had a decent/good year in Kelowna....and has never been heard from since. The Wild happen to also have a top 6, 20+ goal winger, who's one of the poster boys for: 'Ruined by being called up too soon'.

Obviously El Nino, and Virtanen, are/were at a different level than Bulmer was. I just can't really see how sending guys back when they legitimately earn an NHL roster spot is a good thing. Both Virtanen and McCann did that.

That said the real test starts now, because so many vets mail it in during pre-season.
I mean, both Sedins would've been on waivers if it weren't for that last game vs the Oilers :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad