RW Jake Virtanen (2014, 6th, VAN) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Scored three of his four points in one game... The one he played with Horvat. Was completely invisible in other games.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Scored three of his four points in one game... The one he played with Horvat. Was completely invisible in other games.

The other way to look at this is that he's been getting better as the preseason wore on, which he has.

arsmaster*

The other way to look at this is that he's been getting better as the preseason wore on, which he has.

I highly doubt that Sharks fan watched all 8 preseason games for the Canucks....I'm guessing he looked at all 8 box scores though.

I don't even know what I'm doing in this thread, I hate prospects threads on drafted players on the main boards.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
He was inconsistent but hardly invisible. In just about every game he created or forced turnovers with his speed. He didn't have any "bad" games.

He's still figuring out where to be and doesn't mesh well with others who don't play that north-south game. He's a prospect learning the game, but still better than expected and legitimately better than several vets.

He isn't being gifted the spot.

He's the type of player that will take a few years to realize his potential. Right now, as with many young power forwards, he is and will be inconsistent.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ya this "invisible" stuff is garbage. His best game was the Edmonton game for sure, but he scored a beauty goal in his 3rd game, was a factor in the McCann goal in his 4th, and has played consistently physical throughout. I'd say he was maybe "invisible" or at least had little impact in his first two games, but he also admitted he was getting used to the pace of the NHL. Since then he has gotten better in each game, culminating in the Edmonton game where he looked very good (and not just riding Horvat's coattails). Even the last game where he skated with a couple of anvils (Prust and Cracknell) he was making some nice plays, laid some hits, and finished with 3 shots. Not every game is going to be an offensive explosion for a 19 year old kid but that doesn't mean he was invisible. Those saying that aren't understanding his role on this team and honestly sound like they have an axe to grind for some reason. I mean this kid has been nothing but crapped on since he was drafted for not being Nylander or Ehlers. Strikes me as odd that posters are going out of their way to continue crapping on him even when he's actually playing fairly well.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
This kid has all the work ethics, speed, and physicality to be in the NHL. I'm just not sure about the other stuff right now and i guess the best place to learn the "other" stuff is in the NHL with higher pace.

I thought he looked the same throughout pre-season. He plays his one style, it's not always the most effective but i think people notice that he isn't afraid to hit you and he can definitely fly. He could definitely give the other players around him a little bit more space.

I expect 10-15 points this year. Maybe 25 if he plays with Horvats and gets a streak going but the key here is that he rounds out his game and not production.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I watched every game. He wasn't invisible in any of them. That was definitely his best game though and really one of the few he played with quality players. He seems to have improved as camp has progressed. Which is what you like to see.

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007
This kid has all the work ethics, speed, and physicality to be in the NHL. I'm just not sure about the other stuff right now and i guess the best place to learn the "other" stuff is in the NHL with higher pace.

I thought he looked the same throughout pre-season. He plays his one style, it's not always the most effective but i think people notice that he isn't afraid to hit you and he can definitely fly. He could definitely give the other players around him a little bit more space.

I expect 10-15 points this year. Maybe 25 if he plays with Horvats and gets a streak going but the key here is that he rounds out his game and not production.

He definitely won't be relied on for offence but I have to think he will get more than 10-15 points. Around 25 pts (in 82 games) and I would be satisfied. I think he'll slot up and down the lineup during the season which should help his numbers.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
He definitely won't be relied on for offence but I have to think he will get more than 10-15 points. Around 25 pts (in 82 games) and I would be satisfied. I think he'll slot up and down the lineup during the season which should help his numbers.

Yeah, I see about 10-12 goals on the year and 25 points for Virtanen this year.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I assume that if he steps it up and plays the way he has been playing, he should stick around. It will be interesting to see what happens when teams start playing NHL caliber hockey.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I still think he should just get 9 games and head back to Calgary which has a pretty good team this year.

He was a 2nd liner and 1st liner in Calgary last year, which he will probably now just get 1st line minutes.

That 4th line which he would play on has been pretty ineffective as Prust is incredibly slow for Virtanen who is fast as heck.

:amazed:

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
Why must he be a Canuck! He's gonna be running all over my oilers... The kids a heat seeking locomotive

Habitat

Mar 8, 2010
Winnipeg
I think he stays regardless of the 9 games. Trevor linden said in an interview that they had him penciled in before camp.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's going to be a really interesting year for him development wise.

I think he has an NHL ready body, but not an NHL ready head - in terms of playing the game at both ends of the ice.

That being said, I do think sending him back to Calgary would do nothing for him. He dominates kids on a nightly basis due to his sheer physical strength. In order to develop and adapt he needs to be challenged in that regard and learn how to work around that when his power moves and wrap arounds don't pan out every time he leads a rush.

Oh how I wish he was AHL eligible.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You watched all our games?

He often plays the card were he says "i've watched a lot of XXX players games" or something like that to leverage his argument. AT some point its actually unbelievable and laughable. Not only that, apparently he watched a lot of Jake Virtannan last year, and also watched a lot of college hockey and watched even more OHL games, (Lawson Crouse) games apparently. Considering A lot of Lawson Crouses games are at 4:00 pm (Ontario time) a lot of Calgary Hitmen games are at 6pm, mean while, he also claims he watches a lot of NHL, and and knows a lot about Noah Hanifan, and Jack Eichel, as he also claims he follows those players on a regular basis and watches their games.

In seperate arguements he's made it sound like that he's watched a lot of Lawson Crouse play, and also seen a lot of Jake Virtannen games. Total Bull crap, and if he actually watch those games, he wasn't as bad as he is making him out to be right now.

So apparently last year, he followed
Jake Virtannen, Lawson Crouse, Noah Hanifan and Jack Eichel on a regular basis, while following in the NHL.

Not too mention, he's also hanging around the McDavid vs Eichel thread, so in the past 3 weeks, from the sounds of it, he's watched all of McDavid jack Eichel and Virtannens pre season games.

He's full of bull crap if you ask me. The fact that before this thread started he mentioned he only had 1 game, and he had to repeat it again in this thread, just to slam the crap out of Jake Virtannen. A bull crapper is so easy to spot these days.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

10-15 points his effing awful, he would be better staying in junior if that is all he can do. I'll be disappointed if he can't put up 25, 30+ playing with Horvat.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Never understood the hype for this kid. Watching the draft, I cheered when Vancouver somehow passed on William Nylander for him because I knew the leafs were about to get a steal at pick number 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad