Prospect Info: RW Eetu Tuulola, 156th overall "Everything is possible, in this life."

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
Happy to see the kid have a good camp. Although there are obvious benefits of playing against men in Finland I think he may be best suited coming over and playing in the dub. Get used to the NA game, which his style of play is more suited for. Wouldn't be surprised to see Calgary guide him in that direction.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Happy to see the kid have a good camp. Although there are obvious benefits of playing against men in Finland I think he may be best suited coming over and playing in the dub. Get used to the NA game, which his style of play is more suited for. Wouldn't be surprised to see Calgary guide him in that direction.

E2 should be in the AHL. Physically he would be a man among boys in the WHL and when you couple that with his experience in the Finnish league it would be a step backwards.

Aug 21, 2014
Tuulola has 2 years left on his FEL deal. I say leave him there. Allows him to play against men and be close to home. He can come to NA when he's 20.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Much rather would see him in WHL next year. His FEL team is terrible and it's unlikely he will even have a regular spot there. After the injuries he had last season getting a big role and playing vs. good competition would be the best thing for him. Splitting the season between the senior and junior team again this season would be awful.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
Much rather would see him in WHL next year. His FEL team is terrible and it's unlikely he will even have a regular spot there. After the injuries he had last season getting a big role and playing vs. good competition would be the best thing for him. Splitting the season between the senior and junior team again this season would be awful.

Fully agree, in the WHL he would be one of the go to guys for the team, this would better serve him by giving him big minutes rather than fighting to get top 6 minutes in the AHL or FEL. Think it would allow him to better develop his offensive aspects of his game whereas if he's playing bottom 6 he will be called on to be more shutdown. That may be where he ends up if he makes the NHL, but it certainly won't hurt for him to develop his offensive game some more while he tries to make his way to the bigs.

If he was to get top 6 minutes in either of the other two leagues then yes, maybe it would be better but there is no guarantee his game is going to be to the point where it dictates those minutes so reason why I think WHL is the way to go.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Get this stud to Stockon.

I hope that too. From what I heard from people about Everrit (the WHL team who drafted him), they play a super low scoring defensive game and I'd rather have Tuulo with offensive guys in Stockton playing with Flames coaching staff. I think Tuulo has more offense in him than what he showed last year in the FEL. Rather have him playing with Janko, Mangiapane, Poirier, Klimchuk, Pribyl, Shinkaruk, etc.

He is 6'2 200+ lbs so he can physically keep up.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I look at what we did with Kylington last year, then we can develop him however we want and with our total control.

The kid is physically able to handle the AHL and like you said better to have control over his development.

Only issue is the number of contracts Calgary is carrying... 39 right now with Wotherspoon, Hamilton, Johnny and Monahan left to sign on the dotted line. Takes contracts to 43 without Nakladal, Jooris and any other prospects Treliving wants to sign.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
The kid is physically able to handle the AHL and like you said better to have control over his development.

Only issue is the number of contracts Calgary is carrying... 39 right now with Wotherspoon, Hamilton, Johnny and Monahan left to sign on the dotted line. Takes contracts to 43 without Nakladal, Jooris and any other prospects Treliving wants to sign.

That wouldn't matter. If E2 played in the AHL his contract would slide and not count against the 50 limit, same as Kylington last season. He'd have to play 10 NHL games for his contract to kick in.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
He is 6'2 200+ lbs so he can physically keep up.
Actully EP lists him 6'3 227lbs = 103 kg

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=123542

Jatkoaika and his team lists him almost the same, his weight being 102kg

http://www.jatkoaika.com/Joukkue/hpk/pelaajat
http://www.hpk.fi/player/eetu-tuulola/

Big kid

tuulola,_eetu_ep.jpg

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I think he has a pretty good chance at becoming a useful middle-six power forward in the NHL. If he doesn't pan out that well, he could nonetheless become a useful fourth liner and a depth guy. By all accounts he has a very likable personality and a team-first attitude, so that counts for something as well. At the moment his biggest drawback is his sluggish skating. However, skating is almost always fixable and in Eetu's case the problem is probably just that he doesn't have enough (explosive) strength in his legs for his massive frame.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I know everyone is buzzing about him, and I do like him as a prospect, but lets remember that Tim Harrison was everyone's sweetheart after a development camp.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
It's just nice to see him scoring after a somewhat disappointing draft year, even if only at a development camp scrimmage. As I said above, I think Eetu is a fairly safe bet to make it to the NHL someday (which is not a given for a 6th rounder), but it's contingent on him getting faster and stronger still. He mentioned that he model's his game after Lucic and if he can work on his physique so that it is even close to Lucic's, he'll become a damn good power winger. By the way, Lucic was drafted as 6'2 204, so it shouldn't be an impossible task for Eetu to someday be just as strong as Lucic is today. Eetu isn't quite as nasty as Lucic (which is a good thing in my books), but he has pretty soft hands for his type of player. I think he has chosen a good player for him to emulate as it suits both his skill set and his body type.

However, he will need two or three years before he's ready for NHL in my opinion. His skating needs more work than you can do in one summer (unless he has a miraculous summer like Laine did last year) and his defwnsive awareness could use some working on. I hope he'll come over to WHL and work on his scoring and skating for now. He is suited for the NA game.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah he definitely needs work.

-His positioning was questionable at times
-he's not slow in a straight line but he needs to improve his agility/edge-work
-Treliving indicated he's out of shape.

Things he does well
-protects puck
-when he was shooting in warm up my jaw was on the floor. Guy has an absolute canon for a wrist shot...WAYYYYY harder then any prospect on the red team.
-big
-desire to score
-not afraid to try creative things/ not afraid to make mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad