RW Eeli Tolvanen Milwaukee Admirals, AHL (2017, 30th, NSH) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
There has been talk for Predators prospect Eeli Tolvanen for months now but has just been drowning hockey talk the last few days or so. I have never seen so much hype for an 18 year old 30th overall pick like, ever.

38 points in 51 games in the KHL is nothing to sneeze at, but it I don't feel like it's deserving of all the hype he has right now either. He's going to be heading to a stacked Predators team and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the 3rd/4th line and even a healthy scratch at times during their run here. People are acting like the Predators are adding a superstar to their lineup.

-He was seen as a faller on draft day, that gets attention,
-Nashville is one of best teams in the league right now and them being lucky enough to land Tolvanen got attention.
- He broke KHL record, that tends to get attention,
-He played in the Olympics and was promising, that gets attention.

From what I've read majority of Nashville fans just want to get him to Nashville, they are seeing him as extra luxury, and they want to avoid another Vesey situation.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There has been talk for Predators prospect Eeli Tolvanen for months now but has just been drowning hockey talk the last few days or so. I have never seen so much hype for an 18 year old 30th overall pick like, ever.

38 points in 51 games in the KHL is nothing to sneeze at, but it I don't feel like it's deserving of all the hype he has right now either. He's going to be heading to a stacked Predators team and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the 3rd/4th line and even a healthy scratch at times during their run here. People are acting like the Predators are adding a superstar to their lineup.

Considering he was taken 30 overall I do not think the legit hype should be too much

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
God forbid an international prospect get any hype during the CHL playoffs. He should try playing against people his own age.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
6+1 in 11gp. Six of the games were against zska, who only allowed one goal in the first six playoffgames this year. Sorokin Had 99,2% sv.

The hype in the past few weeks have ofcource been bcs of Jokerit playoffs. (and Olympics allstar six)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Where?

Reactions: Saekk

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I guess I haven't paid attention to the hype, so I can't comment on that. But, I don't see any reason why he won't be a very good NHL player (maybe not immediately, and that will depend on usuage), who will go much higher on re-drafts in the coming years.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
I don’t think anybody is expecting him to come over & immediately set the NHL on fire.

He obviously has tools to be an elite goal scooter down the road, & did just have the best season ever in the KHL by a 19 year old. But way to discredit him because he isn’t a leafs prospect.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's still at the age where we realistically have no idea what he's going to be. We'll have a better indication in 2-3 years.

But so far, his teenage numbers are better in the KHL than Buchnevich, Kuznetsov, and Tarasenko. That's worthy of recognition.

Reactions: HansonBro

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I don’t think anybody is expecting him to come over & immediately set the NHL on fire.

He obviously has tools to be an elite goal scooter down the road, & did just have the best season ever in the KHL by a 19 year old. But way to discredit him because he isn’t a leafs prospect.
He's 18. Best by an 18 year old. U20 he'd be second behind Kaprizov.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Overrated as in people who expect him to be a ppg star right away are nuts. He was in a very favourable position with Jokerit where he quickly become the top offensive weapon and got the linemates, the minutes and the role to shine. He's had a great regular season(not the greatest of all time as people suggest) but cooled off in the playoffs. To put in perspective he wasn't the best 18y.o. in the playoffs. He finally scored in the final game of the series they lost today to CSKA, but was quite invisible during the series.

7pts in 11gp in the playoffs is not too shabby, but again if Tolvanen is supposed to tear the NHL apart right away then just how good Kravtsov should become?

Tolvanen is not going to bust. But he is 18. Let him mature. He is not going to destroy the league right away. And being on the Preds roster will only help in terms of being surrounded by good players.
Same Kravtsov, who had like 5+10 in reg season ;)

And Tolvanen's season was best ever by a U-19 player.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I think he gets attention he deserves, but I cannot call it 'hype'.

It's not that trivial thing to play a season like he has done being aged 18. KHL Roty, WJC, Olympics... if/when he plays also in NHL playoffs, his season will be rather extraordinary by all measures for the guy of his age.

It's almost certain that pick #30 going to look like enormous steal and ridiculous mis-evaluation, even if he wouldn't adapt to NHL immediately.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

I've seen literally zero hype.

So taking your headline as written, yes, I'd feel that the hype has been a big flop.

Reactions: Hoek and Romang67

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A highly touted Fin who is a late first round pick and will be joining a championship cailber team?

Sounds like saku koivu all over again.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you

raft_red14_800px.jpg

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
He's not Laine vol 2., probably not ready to take a spot in the playoffs. But he is a future top 6 NHLer without any doubt.

Proven to be productive, efficient, and competitive at highest levels of hockey not NHL. He has also skill set and history in NA that practically ensure his transition will be smoother than for many other youngsters coming from Europe. KHL and KHL playoffs ain't no beer league pond hockey environ, experience-wise.

Drop start into amidst NHL playoffs won't be easy (KHL Playoffs aren't over for him yet, but surely help him to get the rhythm), but not too deep conclusions should be drawn from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad