RW Eeli Tolvanen - Jokerit, KHL (2017, 30th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Actually Kitsyn was draft-eligible when he scored his hat trick, which underscores my point - what he did was even more impressive. He was seen as a potential top-5 selection, but then things went south for him.
Actually that doesn't underscore your point (Tolvanen having a great start but fading as the season goes on), completely the opposite. A draft eligible rookie vs a 1st round prospect.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Actually Kitsyn was draft-eligible when he scored his hat trick, which underscores my point - what he did was even more impressive. He was seen as a potential top-5 selection, but then things went south for him.

Well, both were on their u19 season. Late birthday and all. And as such, the hat trick couldn't have been very early in the season considering that Tolvanen is the youngest hat trick scorer in KHL. It needed to have been in the spring, or you have the seasons mixed up.

edit:
... Well, I posted that before that post by Noma. There you have it. Wrong season and not nearly as early in the season, either. So there probably was 2 months of low-scoring material before it.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
^^ And that Kitsyn comparison was completely irrelevant what comes to Tolvanen nevertheless. Know nothing about the exact player, but he clearly wasn't the same calibre of a prospect as Tolvanen. Eeli obviously won't maintain 50% shooting, but I wouldn't be surpised to see him scoring at a similar pace to Kuznetsov at the same age. Who can honestly shoot a puck better than him in the K besides Kovy?

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Also, let's remember this wasn't the first game where Tolvanen was able to shine. He was actually one of the few Jokerit players who stood out in the preseason and if I've heard right, he was even their top scorer in those games.

So it's not like this all has been just a fluke. Sure, it's to expected that he slows down as the season progresses but the skill level is there for him to even break Kuznetsov's U19 record.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
^^ And that Kitsyn comparison was completely irrelevant what comes to Tolvanen nevertheless. Know nothing about the exact player, but he clearly wasn't the same calibre of a prospect as Tolvanen. Eeli obviously won't maintain 50% shooting, but I wouldn't be surpised to see him scoring at a similar pace to Kuznetsov at the same age. Who can honestly shoot a puck better than him in the K besides Kovy?

Gusev's one-timer is on par with Panarin's... or do you mean specifically wristlers?

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Gusev's slapper is easily better. But it looks like Tolvanen doesn't use slappers a lot. Another similarity to Tarasenko.
I haven't seen Gusev play much but he must have one hell of a slapshot if it's easily better.

0:25

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Now watch Tolvanen go a few games scoreless and the predictable HFBoards "bust!" posts appear. :laugh:
Well their next game is against SKA so yeah, it is possible that he is shut down with the rest of the team. But the last game was still a good showing even if we ignore the hat-trick. I'm hoping the trend continues, even if he is held off the scoresheet.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Gusev's slapper is easily better. But it looks like Tolvanen doesn't use slappers a lot. Another similarity to Tarasenko.

It seems you haven't seen Tolvanen play much. He in fact shoots a lot of onetimers and slappers too. And his technique and shot velocity is absolutely amazing in those shot types as well. He is just an amazing shooter in general. Quite much in the Laine way. And he is not even as far away from Laine as a shooter, as some people seem to still believe.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Tolvanen and Kostin were the two wingers I wouldn't have minded the Leafs reach for. Except I favored Tolvanen at the draft, as Kostin was too high-risk, missing a large portion of his draft year.

It's too early to sing his praises but I've said before, his playstyle reminds me of a poor man's Pavel Bure without the 6th gear or insane wheels. I think NSH got a steal in terms of pure value at the 30th pick, partly due to the market dynamics of the NHL atm (overvaluing C's and D).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Who can honestly shoot a puck better than him in the K besides Kovy?

Have you heard about this Mozyakin guy who broke more or less all scoring records in Russia?

Mozyakin aside, there are a lot of people in the K who can shoot. . Without taking anything from Tolvanen in this case comments like that are just pure ignorance.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I haven't seen Gusev play much but he must have one hell of a slapshot if it's easily better.

0:25

None of the shots Gusev has taken that I've seen has made me think his shot is nearly as good as Tolvanen's. Be it slap, snap, wrist or anything else.

Have you heard about this Mozyakin guy who broke more or less all scoring records in Russia?

Mozyakin aside, there are a lot of people in the K who can shoot. . Without taking anything from Tolvanen in this case comments like that are just pure ignorance.

Haven't seen Mozyakin having a shot comparable to Tolvanen's, and him I've actually watched for years. "He scored a lot of goals" doesn't work.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016

How? I asked who can shoot better and even named Kovalchuk. I admit that I completely forgot about Mozyakin. Apart from them I don't think there are many.

deejb

Nov 12, 2016
Mozyakin has the best shot in KHL, by wide margin. Maybe not the strongest, but still very strong, very accurate, quick, sneaky etc. Gusev shot is nothing special.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Tolvanen will likely go pointless in todays game, as he undoubtedly will countless of times this season. People freaked out over one game, but the numbers are unsustainable, especially his sh%. Once his numbers normalize, he might even fail to outproduce Kuznetsov's U19 season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's a very interesting game. SKA is easily NHL level as a team and as such, this is going to be very interesting for the future. The roster is significantly stronger than those of the lower echelon NHL teams. If Eeli is able to play a good game against a team like this, that's certainly going to bode well when thinking about his future NHL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad