RW/C Vitalii Abramov - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2016, 65th, CBJ; traded to OTT)

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Look at statistics, how many moved to the CHL and how many made it to the NHL as an impact player. Very simple math.

Russian players who crossed the pond at the older age, with multiple KHL seasons under their belt, have been NHL stars or even superstars. That cannot be said about Russians who chose the CHL route. It is not a coincidence. Especially if we know that the most talented prospects of an age group have chosen the CHL route.
But this is a generalization and not a fact across the board. If even one player has become successful in making the NHL from the CHL route, this argument cannot be used as a blanket statement.

Critique Vitaly and his current ability, not his choice in playing the CHL and what "could have been" in your eyes. That is useless at this point because for every successful KHL superstar, there are 10 or more who never make it.

It's about the player and their ability to adapt. There seems to be some kind of idea that he is doomed because he choose the CHL. If he is good enough, he will figure it out and make it in the NHL.

Reactions: Karamazov

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How is this an argument? PERHAPS, if Kravtsov was playing in the NHL and doing well? But he's not, the pro KHL crap is beyond nauseating. Should we all lament about how Kravtsov isnt adapted to the NA game? Sound logic right?
What is this adapted crap? Those players all play numerous tournaments on junior level against eachother. On the small rink too. Only Abramov looked useless at WJC after "adapting" to the NA game.

Kravtsov is playing in a much better league than Abramov for the second season.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
What is this adapted crap? Those players all play numerous tournaments on junior level against eachother. On the small rink too. Only Abramov looked useless at WJC after "adapting" to the NA game.

Lol one bad tournament and now he is shit? Cmon.

The AHL is a lot more similar to style of play than the KHL. Whether you like to admit it or not, Kravtsov will be facing a different level of physicality if he gets to the NHL.
Kravtsov is playing in a much better league FOR HIM. Every Russian knows how to play on a big rink, it doesn't mean Abramov couldnt put up similar numbers in the KHL. That is their comfort zone. Abramov wanted to be drafted and recognized, stop acting like he is already bust because Russians hate other Russians who go to CHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Lol one bad tournament and now he is ****? Cmon.

The AHL is a lot more similar to style of play than the KHL. Whether you like to admit it or not, Kravtsov will be facing a different level of physicality if he gets to the NHL.
Kravtsov is playing in a much better league FOR HIM. Every Russian knows how to play on a big rink, it doesn't mean Abramov couldnt put up similar numbers in the KHL. That is their comfort zone. Abramov wanted to be drafted and recognized, stop acting like he is already bust because Russians hate other Russians who go to CHL.
One bad tournament? No, he is ... because he is getting worse and worse from tournament to tournament instead of getting better with age.

Different level of physicality in today's NHL? LOL The KHL has become a tougher league in that regard by now.

Abramov wouldn't be able to put up those numbers. He would have trouble making the roster. You are free to look up Tolchinskiy. Very similar case. Highly touted prospect. Went to the CHL to play against kids for 3 effing years. Scored .5 ppg in his first AHL season. At 24 he's barely a scoring threat in the KHL and gets scratched every other game. This is a very probable route for Abramov.

You make yourself a way too simple world. My beef with Abramov is not that he went to the CHL in general. It is that he wasted his talent on a obviously wrong development path. He could have developed into a much better player. If it was in the CHL I would be all for it. Only facts suggest the CHL produces tons of busts out of former russian top prospects. Russians hate Russians not becoming Team Russia's valuable assets.

Reactions: o6mopok and vorky

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I honestly don't really care about what the statistics say about whether a prospect should stay in Russia or come to North America to play hockey. So, I'm not going to spend the time to look at the statistics and try to argue it one way or another. It probably also depends on the player, support system, team, home/life environment, work ethic and motivation. I don't know Vitali, and I've never been to Russia, so I'm not going to speak on what should have been his route. But, I think it's too early to judge at this time . I understand that some people from Russia would love to see a strong product in the KHL/VHL/MHL and a strong national club, and I'm not going to argue that. I'm more interested in a strong NHL/Columbus Blue Jackets. But, Abramov felt differently about where he should play his hockey career, so I respect that decision.

Anyways, back to discussing Vitali Abramov. Glad, he seems to finally be finding his game in the AHL and scored 2 goals yesterday. I haven't really noticed Vitali Abramov in either pre-seasons with Columbus. Honestly, I don't know how... But, I wasn't really blown away by his latest junior highlight reel of his 100 point season. I'm also one to try to be cautious in projecting people to NHL stardom. While, I was hoping that he would produce some more points in the AHL as a 20 year old, it's not like he's a let down either way.

Finally, my last point. The one thing that I really enjoy about NHL/hockey. It's becoming a global game in the highest level/levels of the sport. I love that my Jackets have players/prospects from USA, Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia. Prospects from Latvia, France, Switzerland.

Reactions: derriko

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That is exactly a problem. That he plays only the first senior season! At his age, he should have at least 2 senior seasons at his belt. Therefore the CHL route is wrong for Russians, they spend too much time in juniors instead of playing against men.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He isn't 18. He was considered his birth year's top offensive talent once. How many years of minor leagues do we need to admit that he is falling hard?
I don't know but I'd probably give him more than one. It's not just about points. He's played quite well from CBJ accounts. And he's started to score as well. Let's revisit his uselessness in, say, 2-3 years?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Kravtsov was a high draft pick and expected to be good. Abramov was a 3rd round pick and a risk. They aren't seen in the same light. I hope they both do well and think staying in Russia is good for some, not for all.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kravtsov was a high draft pick and expected to be good. Abramov was a 3rd round pick and a risk. They aren't seen in the same light. I hope they both do well and think staying in Russia is good for some, not for all.
I expected this ignorant argument. Kravtsov was drafted high because he exploded in the KHL before the draft. See the point? Who prevented Abramov at the same age from staying with Traktor and becoming a scorer in the KHL(which was expected of him way more than of Kravtsov at age 17-18. This is why your comment is ignorant)? Only his own stupidity. They run off to the CHL to get exposure and get drafted higher. Instead a Kravtsov who noone was talking that highly of at 17 gets drafted in the top 10 out of the KHL. Abramov's development path is a failure from any POV. And the major red flag was the way he left Traktor. A 17y.o. DEMANDED things from a KHL team. Btw that was only possible because of his status as top prospect. Turns out when he really has to work hard and prove things rather than getting them based on the hype he has a hard time moving up the career ladder.

Reactions: o6mopok

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I expected this ignorant argument. Kravtsov was drafted high because he exploded in the KHL before the draft. See the point? Who prevented Abramov at the same age from staying with Traktor and becoming a scorer in the KHL(which was expected of him way more than of Kravtsov at age 17-18. This is why your comment is ignorant)? Only his own stupidity. They run off to the CHL to get exposure and get drafted higher. Instead a Kravtsov who noone was talking that highly of at 17 gets drafted in the top 10 out of the KHL. Abramov's development path is a failure from any POV. And the major red flag was the way he left Traktor. A 17y.o. DEMANDED things from a KHL team. Btw that was only possible because of his status as top prospect. Turns out when he really has to work hard and prove things rather than getting them based on the hype he has a hard time moving up the career ladder.
Your opinion. Great having an open discussion. We disagree. That's all.

Reactions: o6mopok

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Would be interesting to hear from who watched him a lot in his QMJHL years. How much has his game grown in his time there? I recall some people from this board mentionning that he was too good for juniors and not ready for the NHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Traded to Ottawa , wonder if this does nothing to or increases his chances of getting some NHL games.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So what's the deal with this guy?
Don't shoot me, but I think you are in for a bumpy ride. Was a russian top prospect once... when he was 16-17. Since them he is steadily declining. At WJC he was useless and invisible. He is no bottom sixer too. He is either a top 6 offensive minded winger or nothing.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Don't shoot me, but I think you are in for a bumpy ride. Was a russian top prospect once... when he was 16-17. Since them he is steadily declining. At WJC he was useless and invisible. He is no bottom sixer too. He is either a top 6 offensive minded winger or nothing.
So probably a bust, fair enough.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Traded to Ottawa , wonder if this does nothing to or increases his chances of getting some NHL games.

No effect. He's not NHL ready until probably 2020-21.

Apparently CBJ management wasn't sold...

Can you knock it off? He was traded for Matt frikkin Duchene, it doesn't mean CBJ doesn't like him.

What is this, some perverted kind of Russian nationalism or something? I can't see why you would target this one kid?

So probably a bust, fair enough.

See above. Atas has some other agenda with Russian prospects who go to Canada. Like Don Cherry or something.

So what's the deal with this guy?

He's a divisive prospect. Pronman not so high on him, Wheeler loves him. Here's Wheeler's lengthy writeup on Abramov in case you have an Athletic subscription. In case you don't, I'll just leave you with this last line:

"you’ve got a player whose ceiling is among the highest in the hockey-playing prospect world — talent enough to play on an NHL’s first line someday."

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
@majormajor : That article praising Abramov is 1.5 years old. I agree it's too early to call him a bust, but he has some things to overcome. He is shifty, very smart, really soft hands, but I think his skating has started to hold him back at the pro level. That's not a good sign given his size, but not a reason to write him off (yet). Overall I say a solid prospect with real top 6 potential, but not a blue chipper.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Someone may have mentioned this but Abramov played in Gatineau as a junior and hung out in Ottawa all the time. So he knows the city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad