RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Scouting report?

Left handed 6'4 forward who can play every forward position(mainly RW), has good hands, puck moving ability, great passing skills and hard shot but not that accurate. Can protect the puck very well and is strong on the corners.

Defensive game and skating need work, could use his size better and hit more.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
He is pretty unique player. 6'4 winger and I consider him as playmaker. I honestly don't know many players that are big wingers and also pass first players. Jagr and ...... ?

Sid82

Dec 17, 2009
saw him playing 2 weeks ago in the european champions league in my hometown in italy, played center in the 2nd line, was quite noticable for a 17-year old, his passing abbility trough the neutral zone was impressive, scored also the first goal of the game, but nevertheless we won :handclap:

Tampahali

Jan 4, 2014
saw him playing 2 weeks ago in the european champions league in my hometown in italy, played center in the 2nd line, was quite noticable for a 17-year old, his passing abbility trough the neutral zone was impressive, scored also the first goal of the game, but nevertheless we won :handclap:

Did not play center, and I haven't seen him play center once in the past three years, not even in U20. So at this point I'd say he's pretty much a winger.

Been raving about the kid for a couple of years now. He was one of the best players for TPS in the second part of last season, only reason along Vähätalo to drag myself to the arena at the end of the season. Has started this season really well too, has created a lot of chances, but only one assist so far since his teammates really can't score. Hasn't been getting any PP time that IMO he deserves, but hopefully he will as the season progresses.

As has been said in this thread he is a playmaker with nice hands and great vision. Along with skating and defensive abilities I think he has to work on his scoring. Has a good shot, but needs to score more goals. He's good on 1on1's, which is showcased in the video below(setup for a goal as a 16 year old 1.44-->).

Don't know if you can see this one abroad, but a video of his first assist of the year(2.07-->) and a golden set up for Sointu(0.58-->). http://www.ruutu.fi/ohjelmat/sm-liiga/huippuhetket-tps-kalpa-1892014

Sid82

Dec 17, 2009
Did not play center, and I haven't seen him play center once in the past three years, not even in U20. So at this point I'd say he's pretty much a winger.

Been raving about the kid for a couple of years now. He was one of the best players for TPS in the second part of last season, only reason along Vähätalo to drag myself to the arena at the end of the season. Has started this season really well too, has created a lot of chances, but only one assist so far since his teammates really can't score. Hasn't been getting any PP time that IMO he deserves, but hopefully he will as the season progresses.

As has been said in this thread he is a playmaker with nice hands and great vision. Along with skating and defensive abilities I think he has to work on his scoring. Has a good shot, but needs to score more goals. He's good on 1on1's, which is showcased in the video below(setup for a goal as a 16 year old 1.44-->).

Don't know if you can see this one abroad, but a video of his first assist of the year(2.07-->) and a golden set up for Sointu(0.58-->). http://www.ruutu.fi/ohjelmat/sm-liiga/huippuhetket-tps-kalpa-1892014

http://www.championshockeyleague.net/page/gamecenter/IHM400F64/

as u can see, he played center in the 2nd line...

Sid82

Dec 17, 2009
That's just wrong. #60 is center in firstline, #17 in second, #63 in third.

oh man, so they failed the whole lineup :shakehead

anyway this kid is gonna be a good one, for me top 15 for sure in the upcoming draft

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Sounds like another Joel Armia, with less of a scoring touch - more of a playmaker?

Very much different players. How did you come to that conclusion, because they both are finns? Armia is like 6'3 Vanek and Rantanen is pretty unique because I can't think any comparables in NHL. Are there 6'4 big playmakers? Thornton? Though they play different game, Rantanen is more straightforward.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I have seen a ton of games of Rantanen, but still haven't found a perfect comparison for him. His game is still very raw in a professional league, and having grown about 20 centimeters in the past couple of years means he is still not fully grown into his massive frame. He is very lanky and looks a bit awkward at times in his movement, but playing professionally in a very a crueling and physically demanding league is not an easy task for a 17 year old. He keeps showing glimpses of brilliance at a growing pace lately, but still has obvious consistency issues during games due to his inexperience.

Rantanen's playing style is obviously 100% playmaker, but he has that straight forward North American style and is eager for breakouts. He rarely shoots the puck and always looks for his linemates, but luckily has great vision to make things happen. He has the ability to get the attention to himself, and thus creating open spots for his team mates. When he actually grows into his body and adds 20+ pounds, he could be a first line player in the NHL.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have seen a ton of games of Rantanen, but still haven't found a perfect comparison for him. His game is still very raw in a professional league, and having grown about 20 centimeters in the past couple of years means he is still not fully grown into his massive frame. He is very lanky and looks a bit awkward at times in his movement, but playing professionally in a very a crueling and physically demanding league is not an easy task for a 17 year old. He keeps showing glimpses of brilliance at a growing pace lately, but still has obvious consistency issues during games due to his inexperience.

Rantanen's playing style is obviously 100% playmaker, but he has that straight forward North American style and is eager for breakouts. He rarely shoots the puck and always looks for his linemates, but luckily has great vision to make things happen. He has the ability to get the attention to himself, and thus creating open spots for his team mates. When he actually grows into his body and adds 20+ pounds, he could be a first line player in the NHL.

Sounds like Scott Gomez.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What? Since when Gomez is 6'4 RW?

I was focusing on his second paragraph. The one about playing style. Not the one about physical descriptions. For years Scott Gomez was a premier break out forward. Gained the zone better than anyone. Elite straight ahead speed, and had world class vision and playmaking ability, despite being a north/south player, which is a pretty darn rare quality. Though, I do understand that Scott Gomez isnt exactly tall. However, being tall doesn't really have much to do with descriptions of playing style, does it?

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
11 games and 0+5

For example Joel Armia 16OA in 2011 had 48 games and18+11 in his draft year, Kasperi Kapanen 22OA in 2014 had 47 games and 7+7, Teuvo Teravainen 18OA 2012 had 40 games and 11+7,

William Nylander*

Haven't seen him play yet (looking forward to WJC), but going by the scout reports, it seems like he has all the tools to make a successful transition to center? If so, that would definitely raise his draft stock- big, skilled C prospect that everyone wants

Last edited by a moderator:

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
I dont see high end-scoring numbers from Rantanen in NHL-level, but he should be a solid 2nd liner for any team. His playmaking skills and vision are quite obvious and he will go long way with those+size.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
I dont see high end-scoring numbers from Rantanen in NHL-level, but he should be a solid 2nd liner for any team. His playmaking skills and vision are quite obvious and he will go long way with those+size.

I think this sounds about right as of now. I've seen him play a few times this season, and combined that with what I've read, he kind of reminds me of Ryan Clowe without the edge. He definitely has the talent to be better than Clowe, but that's just who reminds me of.

satchmo

Mar 21, 2012
I think a more realistic evaluation would be, that he is lucky to ever make it to the NHL. Saying he is sure thing secondliner is rubbish. We already have better prospects (Armia, Pulkkinen, Ma.Granlund, Teräväinen) in NA and even they havent made it .

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I think a more realistic evaluation would be, that he is lucky to ever make it to the NHL. Saying he is sure thing secondliner is rubbish. We already have better prospects (Armia, Pulkkinen, Ma.Granlund, Teräväinen) in NA and even they havent made it .

Teräväinen yes, but other guys are not even close. Just becase Finnish media doesn't hype him and Suikkanen plays him with crappy linemates doesn't make him any less talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad