RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
This season he has most points in finnish U18 national team.

- TPS U20 17gp 5+13
- TPS (Liiga) 37gp 5+4
- Finland U18, Hlinka Memorial 4gp 3+4=7 +2

Against Denmark in first game U18 wc he did 3+0.

He is projected to be first rounder next year. I don't see any thread about him so I make one.

Last edited:

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Amazing kid. 6'4 great hands, great skating, great hockey sense, good shot. He has it all.

He is the 60th 100% 1st round player in 2015 draft :laugh:

Miqqo

Apr 18, 2014
Great to see more and more Finnish prospects who's got a bit of size. :nod:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I think that he is best finnish prospect for 2015 draft. He got size, skill, smarts and he can play at every situation. Has 1 year in FEL against men under belt and 2 years at the draft.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
How does Rantanen compare to Barkov? What kind of game does he play?

He doesn't really. Barkov's game is all about defense and playmaking.

Rantanen uses his size to protect the puck well and like to challenge d-man in 1on1's. Good hands and passing game. Has also a good shot and pretty good defensive game. Skating is an obvious issue since he grew from 5'10 to 6'4 in very short time only two years ago.

edit. Looks like he will play tonight http://www.leijonat.fi/uutiset/tuor...antanen-pelaa-puolustuksessa-yksi-muutos.html

Last edited:

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I saw this guy for the first time 1,5 years ago in a TPS's U20 pre-season game. There was lot to like in this guy. He had size, skill and hockey sense. Skating was a huge issue back then, and still is, but I thought that it will improve in time.

Half year later he played his first senior games and it seems that he is getting better and better in Liiga as his skating is improving. Skill and size was never the problem, he just didn't have the wheels to keep up with the pace of Liiga.

I consider Rantanen as a very likely first rounder next year and I think that he can pile up quite a good amount of points in Liiga next season.

McLovin*

Amazing kid. 6'4 great hands, great skating, great hockey sense, good shot. He has it all.

He is the 60th 100% 1st round player in 2015 draft :laugh:

First post in the thread and already a swing and a miss

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
For a guy of his size he's pretty good skater imo.

Yeah, he certainly isn't a great skater like the poster said but he's a solid skater for his size. He's not fast but has average speed (perhaps a bit below average) and skating isn't all about speed anyway, he's a strong skater. And as far as I've heard, he has steadily improved his skating so even though he'll never be the fastest guy on the ice, for a guy who's 6'4" he should be a good skater.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Yeah meant that he Was a great skater for his size (considering his growth spurt) but I was in a hurry and too excited to think what I wrote.

I expect a good season from him and about 30 points + top 6 role in WJC

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
This guy needs more hype. Really impressive game vs Kärpät today. Setup Smolenak 3! times on a golden opportunities but he didn't score.

His puck moving out of the neutral zone was amazing and didn't shy away from contact either. Skating looked decent and looks like he has gained a little mass too.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
This guy needs more hype. Really impressive game vs Kärpät today. Setup Smolenak 3! times on a golden opportunities but he didn't score.

His puck moving out of the neutral zone was amazing and didn't shy away from contact either. Skating looked decent and looks like he has gained a little mass too.

Agree. Of the three youngsters on the ice tonight (Aho, Puljujärvi, Rantanen) he was the best IMO, even though Aho was pretty good too and also scored his first Liiga goal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad