RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Time for VAN to start thinking about how to expand his role and take care of the other items on the team that need to be addressed. They now have a 1C and a 2C. They have a top line wing in Boeser. They need at least two more top six guys and a defensive top pair and the team will be off and running.

Hopefully a top 3 pick in the upcoming draft, and then throw all the money they have at Duchene and Myers then I would say they are ready to compete for the playoffs. Hughes, Demko will break into the lineup next season.

Reactions: My3Sons

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Another discussion that needs to happen is about how this draft was thought to be pretty damn weak by the media
1) In ‘terrible’ draft year, will more first-round picks be traded?
2) 2017 NHL Draft: Weak Draft Class Makes for Difficult Decisions
3) NHL draft 2017: Uninspiring class is short on big names, lacking in depth
4) I mean NHL central scouting thought it was weak
5) ISS downgraded it to its lowest possible value
etc etc etc

Now you got Pettersson dominating
Heiskanen looking like a Veteran
Hischier becoming a steady 1st line center.
The Joker in Chicago
Valimaki in Calgary

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Build through draft not trades or UFAs.

The 1 position you didnt mention and its beacuse they have it, is 1D. IMO.the.most important position.

Can Q Hughes become that for the Canucks ?? Maybe.

But not need to accelerate anything. Im perfectly happy with how EP is being deployed. 2nd line minutes, PP1 and very limited defensive zone starts.

I mentioned that VAN needs a top pair on D. Hopefully for them that pans out. It doesn’t take that much to have a good team if there is buy in and an identity. It does however take more than a few talented pieces. Look at EDM. EP may be second line for the moment but he will be top line very soon. Why hold him back?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Another discussion that needs to happen is about how this draft was thought to be pretty damn weak by the media
In ‘terrible’ draft year, will more first-round picks be traded?
2017 NHL Draft: Weak Draft Class Makes for Difficult Decisions
NHL draft 2017: Uninspiring class is short on big names, lacking in depth
etc etc etc

Now you got Pettersson dominating
Heiskanen looking like a Veteran
Hischier becoming a steady 1st line center.

The Joker in Chicago
Valimaki in Calgary

Thats the 3rd overall and 1st overall pick. Those should be givens. Every draft has players that surprise like Valimaki and Jokiharju. Just playing devil's advocate...

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Hopefully a top 3 pick in the upcoming draft, and then throw all the money they have at Duchene and Myers then I would say they are ready to compete for the playoffs. Hughes, Demko will break into the lineup next season.

Why would they need to throw all their money on Duchene ? Especially if they get a top 3 pick thia draft and get Hughes Cozens or Dach.

Their C is fine w. Horvat Pettersson , Top 3 pick, Gaudette.

Reactions: nucks88

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Thats the 3rd overall and 1st overall pick. Those should be givens. Every draft has players that surprise like Valimaki and Jokiharju. Just playing devil's advocate...

I dont care
It looks as deep as any other standard year, and the idiots in the media and scouting services should be all be eating crow

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I dont care
It looks as deep as any other standard year, and the idiots in the media and scouting services should be all be eating crow

I mean it followed after Matthews + Laine and Mcdavid + Eichel. When its all said and done i see the 2017 draft similar to 2011. Which is average/below average.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I mentioned that VAN needs a top pair on D. Hopefully for them that pans out. It doesn’t take that much to have a good team if there is buy in and an identity. It does however take more than a few talented pieces. Look at EDM. EP may be second line for the moment but he will be top line very soon. Why hold him back?

How exactly is he being held back ? Like i said he plays PP1 and gets lots of offensive zone starts.

He still has room to improve like faceoffs and board play.

Its been 2 games. Lets just let him keep developing.

We dont even know yet how his body will hold up in a ln 82 game schedule.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
I was wondering last year after Datsyuk left the NHL when we would next see a player with such a rare skillset and quality. A lanky centre with a slight frame, who beats you on both ends of the ice not with physicality but with intelligence and skill. And on top of that has some of the best stickhandling in the league with a laser shot and pinpoint accuracy.

That question may be answered now.

Reactions: Slimmy

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I was wondering last year after Datsyuk left the NHL when we would next see a player with such a rare skillset and quality. A lanky centre with a slight frame, who beats you on both ends of the ice not with physicality but with intelligence and skill. And on top of that has some of the best stickhandling in the league with a laser shot and pinpoint accuracy.

That question may be answered now.

I definitely see similarities between the two but Datsyuk sure as hell isn't lanky.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
I definitely see similarities between the two but Datsyuk sure as hell isn't lanky.
This guy?

2271428.jpg

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
He's listed at around 5'11" 200 pounds on most places.

Pettersson is like 6'2" 170. I can't think of anyone with a comparable frame off the top of my head.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009

Pettersson is like 6'2" 170. I can't think of anyone with a comparable frame off the top of my head.

176lb and he's 19 years old. Datsyuk 194lb fully developed. Pettersson will fill out a bit but will never be a stocky guy. Neither was Datsyuk. They're quite comparable actually

Last edited:

member 105785

The dekes he did tonight, and the smart plays was great to see.

Glad we didn’t win the 2017 draft lottery.

FWIW Lindenning said on record that they didn't have either Hischier or Patrick as their 1OA so they likely would have traded down to 3/4

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014

Different position, but Klingberg is 6’2 and 180. Pettersson still has tons of time to fill out will likely end up around 190.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Datsyuk was insanely strong. He could lay guys out when he wanted to and would often reverse hit defenders when they came at him. Pettersson will never have that element to his game, but it doesn’t matter and he will still be a superstar. I do see similarities in his defensive stickwork and ability to pickpocket guys though

Reactions: pahlsson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad