RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Doubt you would be able to find any because they probably don't exist. Only a few Russian posters on here said he has ruined his chances at becoming the best since Ovi once he went to the USHL. Might be the same crowd who still think Kucherov would be better now had he stayed longer in Russia.
LOL, you might find the links I posted interesting, because according to you they don't exist.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I saw Andrei live last night, I thought he played very well. It's obvious to see where his game is heading. He just needs to get stronger and sturdier on his skates which is not unusual for his age. When he does that his size and power game will come together. The intelligence and hands he possesses are already evident. Maybe boxscore grazers are disappointed but I'd love to have him, he's going to be very good for a very long time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For a guy who relies on his physicality so much, 0,5 PPG is fine in a 18 y.o. season. Not blowing anyone away but not "oh boy let's just send him back to junior" either. And even then, the later happened to Draisaitl who was picked 3rd and we are at the point where it's very safe to say he turned out fine. I'd much rather take a steady development over Yak/Laine who wowed in their rookie seasons with that one thing they know how to do.

Why group Laine with Yakupov?

PuckMasterZero

Mar 3, 2019
If something does not fit your agenda all you come up with is provoking allegations?

I don't care about the Canes. He was the next generational level talent way before Canes came into the picture. What I see now is that he has fallen off that level during his time in NA. And should I remind you of Ovechkin's linemates in his first season in the NHL?
Where are you getting that he was supposed to be "generational" what do you think that word means?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Tyler Seguin had 22 points as an 18 year old. Boston had depth and won the cup that year so they could afford to keep him from getting top minutes and teach/develop him properly as an 18 year old in the world's toughest league.

The next year? He scored 67 points.

Svechnikov, on a less deep Carolina team is being brought along in a similar fashion and that will be huge for him in the short future. No need to rely on a kid like him even if they're not as good up front as the 2011 Bruins. He will be a great player.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Sorry, if you don't follow prospects(which is not a requirement) you would not know that, especially for a 15-17y.o. although Svechnikov's case is somewhat special because of his older brother. When Yevgeniy was once talked about as a top prospect the hype started that his younger brother is the actual gem. And indeed at 15-16 Andrei scored at a ridiculous over 4 pts/gp pace against his peers and still a over ppg as double underager. Obviously as I am from Kazan I know at least a bit more about Svechnikovs. Yes, he was considered to be in that tier of the next generational talent.

Here are some articles from his draft and draft-1 year:

Кто такой Андрей Свечников. Гений или не всё так просто?

Новая русская суперзвезда

Андрей Свечников: На сравнения с Макдэвидом стараюсь не обращать внимания
But I actually follow him pretty closely from his early years, and it's funny that you mentioned those articles from sports and championat. Come on man, those articles based purely on public hype nothing more. I highly doubt authors of those articles even watched him prior his first games for national team. People drew comparisons with McDavid mainly because Svechnikov debuted for U-18 team as a double underager, like McDavid. But as you could see one was MVP and best forward of the tournament, another was pretty good and promising kid. You could argue that Svechnikov's usage wasn't the best relatively to McDavid's and you'll probably right, but it's not just the goals and assists. It's pure ability. Truly generational talents like McDavid and Ovechkin for example have some earthshattering skills. Every time you watch them they catch your eyes with some phenomenal level of excellence. McDavid has otherwordly skating, nimble hands and IQ through the roof; Ovechkin - god like physicality, best in the game shooting arsenal, in early years he was the fastest and most explosive skater on the ice. There was no doubt that Ovechkin and McDavid are THOSE guys who will become absolute best since day one in NHL. And there is Svechnikov, very good at pretty much every aspect of the game, but nothing actually special. Yeah, he's great skater, very good passer with some sick release and nice hands. Vision and IQ are also his strengths. All around offensive force with no weak links. But nothing in his game screams BEST IN THE WORLD. It never happened with him. I watched some Ak Bars U-16 games back then, and he was day after day best player among his peers. Most developed, very big, strong, mature. But nothing alike those generational talents. I always hope he will turn out like Tavares, Seguin for example, it would be great for our hockey. Never thought he's next THAT guy, our saviour. Just doesn't have necessary skills. Didn't have in Russia, doesn't have in NA. It's not a regress, it's what he was always supposed to be (at the moment). He's still best Russian prospect since Malkin, and could turn out as a consistant 80-90 pts guy in his prime.

Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
But I actually follow him pretty closely from his early years, and it's funny that you mentioned those articles from sports and championat. Come on man, those articles based purely on public hype nothing more. I highly doubt authors of those articles even watched him prior his first games for national team. People drew comparisons with McDavid mainly because Svechnikov debuted for U-18 team as a double underager, like McDavid. But as you could see one was MVP and best forward of the tournament, another was pretty good and promising kid. You could argue that Svechnikov's usage wasn't the best relatively to McDavid's and you'll probably right, but it's not just the goals and assists. It's pure ability. Truly generational talents like McDavid and Ovechkin for example have some earthshattering skills. Every time you watch them they catch your eyes with some phenomenal level of excellence. McDavid has otherwordly skating, nimble hands and IQ through the roof; Ovechkin - god like physicality, best in the game shooting arsenal, in early years he was the fastest and most explosive skater on the ice. There was no doubt that Ovechkin and McDavid are THOSE guys who will become absolute best since day one in NHL. And there is Svechnikov, very good at pretty much every aspect of the game, but nothing actually special. Yeah, he's great skater, very good passer with some sick release and nice hands. Vision and IQ are also his strengths. All around offensive force with no weak links. But nothing in his game screams BEST IN THE WORLD. It never happened with him. I watched some Ak Bars U-16 games back then, and he was day after day best player among his peers. Most developed, very big, strong, mature. But nothing alike those generational talents. I always hope he will turn out like Tavares, Seguin for example, it would be great for our hockey. Never thought he's next THAT guy, our saviour. Just doesn't have necessary skills. Didn't have in Russia, doesn't have in NA. It's not a regress, it's what he was always supposed to be (at the moment). He's still best Russian prospect since Malkin, and could turn out as a consistant 80-90 pts guy in his prime.
Don't bother with him. Your words go in one ear and out the other.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Yes you are right, Ovechkin and McDavid both have some special skills but may be Svechnikovs strength is that he is very good at everything. This is also a rare talent, isn't is? ;)

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
This kid is gonna explode next year. Every game I've watched him play this year he has looked absolutely dangerous. He will be a force once he finds consistency and linemates that aren't total offensive black holes.

He played on the 2nd line the other night and immediately put up 3pts.

The kid is a time bomb waiting to go off.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Try comprehending timelines. He was sporting some outworldish stats before playing for the national team. Those articles are from way later. And what do you prefer? Actual articles with a name and a date on them or me telling you what I heard from people in the system who watched him and worked with him before there was any hype? I could tell you what I have seen and what I was told by people who worked with his birth year in Kazan, but you might dismiss that as hear-say.

It's interesting you don't mention Malkin, because he is the best comparable in style. Malkin does not have Ovechkin's shot or physicality or McDavid's skating. He is still in the same tier because he is the type of guy who does it all. He is scorer, playmaker and great skater in one package. Big too which defines his playing style a lot. Pretty much what Svechnikov is(while being a winger). And there is Malkin and Tavares. I guess it's not debatable who to put where. Svechnikov was absolutely in Malkin's footsteps. I expected him to grow into a 100pts in the NHL kind of guy at the least. He still has the chance. Kucherov is there after those "great" "development" years in NA, so Svechnikov does have a chance. He would need a Kucherov like mindset though. No success without hard work. For all your praising of Ovechkin btw if not for his mother he'd probably never reach that heights. Having those best in the world talents is one thing...

If Svechnikov never reaches that 100pts/season level he will be a dissapointment from my POV, because he ALWAYS had the potential.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
One area I'd like to see some improvement is his acceleration. Once he gets moving, he's got decent speed, but in the NHL, he needs to be able to accelerate quickly and change speeds quickly to get around defenders. He shows glimpses of it, but needs that acceleration IMO.

At 18, he's already got good strength, plays with a bit of an edge, has good hands, a very good shot and some surprising playmaking ability, but to truly become an impact player, I think his acceleration needs to improve.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
In his draft +1 season Ovi scored an outstanding 26 points in 37 games in Russian top flight, Malkin had an amazing total of 32 in 52. Tell me more about how disappointing Andrei is because he hasn't lit up the NHL in his draft +1 season.
I said that for now. If next season Svechnikov blossoms like that swedish guy in Vancouver I am all for it.

P.S. Believe it or not, it was harder then to score in the RSL. And prime OV and Malkin have not scored at their NHL pace in the KHL during lockouts either. Add to that the fact of this season being a breaking of the dam scoring wise in the NHL and you might understand why I am not overly extatic about AS numbers.

Reactions: Fixxer

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
I said that for now. If next season Svechnikov blossoms like that swedish guy in Vancouver I am all for it.

P.S. Believe it or not, it was harder then to score in the RSL. And prime OV and Malkin have not scored at their NHL pace in the KHL during lockouts either. Add to that the fact of this season being a breaking of the dam scoring wise in the NHL and you might understand why I am not overly extatic about AS numbers.

Not saying Svech can’t reach 100 points but he is definitely an elite player who will be at least a 70pt per season type(30goals/40assist type)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Anyone putting 100 point expectations on a prospect these days is setting themselves up for disappointment. This year scoring is up, but in the past 10 years, there have been only 9 players to eclipse 100 points and only one of them (McDavid) has done it under the age of 21. McDavid, Kucherov, Backstrom, Giroux, Sedin(s), Crosby, Malkin and Ovi.

It's fine if a fan does put that expectation on a player, but it's silly to then complain if he doesn't achieve it.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
It's interesting you don't mention Malkin, because he is the best comparable in style. Malkin does not have Ovechkin's shot or physicality or McDavid's skating. He is still in the same tier because he is the type of guy who does it all. He is scorer, playmaker and great skater in one package. Big too which defines his playing style a lot. Pretty much what Svechnikov is(while being a winger). And there is Malkin and Tavares. I guess it's not debatable who to put where. Svechnikov was absolutely in Malkin's footsteps. I expected him to grow into a 100pts in the NHL kind of guy at the least. He still has the chance. Kucherov is there after those "great" "development" years in NA, so Svechnikov does have a chance. He would need a Kucherov like mindset though. No success without hard work. For all your praising of Ovechkin btw if not for his mother he'd probably never reach that heights. Having those best in the world talents is one thing...
I didn't mention Malkin cause I don't consider him generational. Malkin has two generational type seasons, but consistancy is lacking there. But I agree with about that comparison. Svech still has potential to be a ppg winger througtout his career, but I just dont see him being the best in the world at any point in future. Maybe I'm wrong. But lets chill out there, kid is 18. Ovechkin and Malkin started thier respective nhl careers at age 20, there is a difference. We just should wait and hope he's next big thing in russian hockey.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Is it fair to say he's being pushed to develop in the Hossa mold? (Not that he'll necessarily end up there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad