RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Svec was a 2nd overall, with a history from NA ice.

He's going to be great for Carolina, and they have a fantastic duo to build around in Aho/Svec but he hasn't produced like few others before him.

Kuznetsov was 22 and a better player back to then, though.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I think the best comparison might be Landeskog. Both 2OA. Landeskog turned 19 early in his rookie season--Svech will turn 19 the last week of his rookie season. Svechnikov's production won't be quite as high, but the goals will be similar. I think the 35-goal/80 point pace Landeskog was on this season is where Svechnikov settles in 2-3 years.

Reactions: SvechneJerk

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd be lying if I didn't say I expected more production from him, even as an 18 year old. That said, Brindy hasn't gifted him ice time and has made him focus on his consistency, play away from the puck, and defensive game. He has played him in a 3rd line role until he can round out his game even though putting him in a top 6 role would increase his offensive output.

So while I'm a bit disappointed in his production, I do like how the Canes are bringing him along.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
If that is his expectation curve now then he has regressed a lot.
I mean, you're obviously trying to provoke people, so I'm not sure why I'm still responding to you but...The Canes could have put him with Aho for all year long and he'd probably have 10-20 more points, but that's not the way Canes chose to do things. You adjust your expectations in line with the way the team decides to handle him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
For a guy who relies on his physicality so much, 0,5 PPG is fine in a 18 y.o. season. Not blowing anyone away but not "oh boy let's just send him back to junior" either. And even then, the later happened to Draisaitl who was picked 3rd and we are at the point where it's very safe to say he turned out fine. I'd much rather take a steady development over Yak/Laine who wowed in their rookie seasons with that one thing they know how to do.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I mean, you're obviously trying to provoke people, so I'm not sure why I'm still responding to you but...The Canes could have put him with Aho for all year long and he'd probably have 10-20 more points, but that's not the way Canes chose to do things. You adjust your expectations in line with the way the team decides to handle him.
If something does not fit your agenda all you come up with is provoking allegations?

I don't care about the Canes. He was the next generational level talent way before Canes came into the picture. What I see now is that he has fallen off that level during his time in NA. And should I remind you of Ovechkin's linemates in his first season in the NHL?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
If something does not fit your agenda all you come up with is provoking allegations?

I don't care about the Canes. He was the next generational level talent way before Canes came into the picture. What I see now is that he has fallen off that level during his time in NA. And should I remind you of Ovechkin's linemates in his first season in the NHL?
This has nothing to do with line mates and everything to do with player usage. If you cannot see the difference then I'm just wasting my time talking to you, aren't I? And the first part of your post you probably got from a story book or something.

Ovie avg time on ice in his rookie season: 21:37

Svechnikov: 14:36

Bonus tidbit: Ovechkin's ice time started high and ended higher. Svechnikov's ice time started low and has stayed low. So don't even mention the word "Deserve".

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ovechkin scored 0.4 PPG in Russian Superleague at the same age. But hur dur much agenda. It's great to see you have no agenda at all with your great reminders.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

I don't think I've ever heard the term "generational" in discussions about Andrei Svechnikov. Perhaps your expectations of his performance are tainted by that.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
This kid has been steadily improving his overall game throughout the season, without increased ice time or moving up the lineup.
He was taking too many o zone stick penalties, which he seems to have resolved. He is making smarter plays with and without the puck and, most importantly, has started imposing his will on the opponent.
The kid is 18. Let's not be too quick to judge because he hasn't put up 60 points. He will be a very good player in this league for many years.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Thats pretty interesting. I'm from Russia and I never heard of such ridiculous expectations about Svechnikov. Who did consider him as next generational level talent? Any early reports from scouts or something as example?

Doubt you would be able to find any because they probably don't exist. Only a few Russian posters on here said he has ruined his chances at becoming the best since Ovi once he went to the USHL. Might be the same crowd who still think Kucherov would be better now had he stayed longer in Russia.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I see people here seem to be unfamiliar with atas2000 and are trying to reason with him. Don't bother, you will soon get to know that he thinks everything to do with N.A is evil, especially in the way it taints every single Russian player that will ever exist that comes to play here.

You'll learn in time.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Four empty netters out of 17 goals. Not only that, but the disrespect towards empty net goals is stupid. First of all they can be extremely valuable and second of all you have to earn a certain level of trust to be put out there in the last minutes.
really? i thought it was way more. where can i find these stats?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Thats pretty interesting. I'm from Russia and I never heard of such ridiculous expectations about Svechnikov. Who did consider him as next generational level talent? Any early reports from scouts or something as example?
Sorry, if you don't follow prospects(which is not a requirement) you would not know that, especially for a 15-17y.o. although Svechnikov's case is somewhat special because of his older brother. When Yevgeniy was once talked about as a top prospect the hype started that his younger brother is the actual gem. And indeed at 15-16 Andrei scored at a ridiculous over 4 pts/gp pace against his peers and still a over ppg as double underager. Obviously as I am from Kazan I know at least a bit more about Svechnikovs. Yes, he was considered to be in that tier of the next generational talent.

Here are some articles from his draft and draft-1 year:

Кто такой Андрей Свечников. Гений или не всё так просто?

Новая русская суперзвезда

Андрей Свечников: На сравнения с Макдэвидом стараюсь не обращать внимания

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad