RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wouldn't surprise me in the least though if he has more impact to the game than Laine because he has the elite speed and line driving ability that Laine doesn't.

Averaging almost a goal per game as a 17 year-old OHL rookie is damn impressive.

Both are high-end wingers.
Sure, it's impressive. But not as impressive as Laine's pre-NHL seasons. And that's a pretty optimistic projection, for him to have more impact to the game than Laine.

I predict the only player for this draft to have significant impact in NHL during the 18-19 season is Dahlin, and even his impact will likely not be as high as expected(depending on your expectations).

That's not to say that Svechnikov couldn't possibly become even a PPG player, but so can top 15 picks, or even later ones. That probably is his ceiling. Depending on how NHL scoring develops and whether it increases or decreases(A PPG player right now is not nearly as special as a PPG player in a couple of the previous seasons).

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I often wonder, when making claims about prospects, how many people actually take the time to watch their games.

There are no doubt some knowledgeable posters that do, but a lot of the time it's people buying into hype and following the crowd IMO.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Svechnikov:
01CE9E68-E9D0-4188-B08F-FFCDD9E61683.jpeg

Laine:
6D334763-D603-4D03-B90F-62A660A27A3A.jpeg

Don’t see how they’re comparable...

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I think with Svechnikov, your getting the best winger prospect since Laine (only because of his 2nd half, playoff tear last year where his value skyrocketed, Hall/Yak).

It's hard for me to take lists seriously that put Zadina or Boqvist and others ahead of Svechnikov...makes me think if they've watched them all play. It could change but Svechnikov is by far the more rare, dynamic talent.....and with his size/tools, it's not even a debate...he's the consensus #2.

uh no. Dahlin IS generational. He's the Connor McDavid of defence. He would definitely go 1st in any draft without McDavid/Crosby in it.

That's going too far, Dahlin would have trouble going #1 in any Matthews/Stamkos/Tavares draft.....he's not generational but he's definitely in that elite class of players that we've named. He also has the benefit of hindsight with guys like Hedman before him. If a Hedman clone were in a draft today, with the benefit of hindsight....he gets a lot more hype, IMO.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
uh no. Dahlin IS generational. He's the Connor McDavid of defence. He would definitely go 1st in any draft without McDavid/Crosby in it.
Please explain why he is generational.

Explain why he is going above Matthews in the 2016 draft.

Honestly I bet you haven't even watched Dahlin that much. Just building on the hype and hope that he becomes a Canuck

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Please explain why he is generational.

Explain why he is going above Matthews in the 2016 draft.

Honestly I bet you haven't even watched Dahlin that much. Just building on the hype and hope that he becomes a Canuck
Nope he won't become a Canuck, since he'll be gone by the 5th pick, but that won't stop him from being generational.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Laine was the best winger prospect since ovechkin. Hall would be number 2. Svech seems to be hyped 3rd best imo.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Svechnikov:
View attachment 99787

Laine:
View attachment 99785

Don’t see how they’re comparable...
Sure, it's impressive. But not as impressive as Laine's pre-NHL seasons. And that's a pretty optimistic projection, for him to have more impact to the game than Laine.

I predict the only player for this draft to have significant impact in NHL during the 18-19 season is Dahlin, and even his impact will likely not be as high as expected(depending on your expectations).

That's not to say that Svechnikov couldn't possibly become even a PPG player, but so can top 15 picks, or even later ones. That probably is his ceiling. Depending on how NHL scoring develops and whether it increases or decreases(A PPG player right now is not nearly as special as a PPG player in a couple of the previous seasons).

Laine lit it up in his draft year. Svechnikov has been dominating for 2 years now.

He had the best ppg ever for a u17 season in the USHL, and now he is scoring goals at a rate equal to that of Stamkos/Tavares.

A lot of people are factoring in Laine’s successful NHL rookie season into his prospect pedigree here...

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Laine lit it up in his draft year. Svechnikov has been dominating for 2 years now.

He had the best ppg ever for a u17 season in the USHL, and now he is scoring goals at a rate equal to that of Stamkos/Tavares.

A lot of people are factoring in Laine’s successful NHL rookie season into his prospect pedigree here...

No one factored in his rookie season...
Those stats I showed and the accolades where all before that. Who knows maybe Svechnikov will be better(I highly doubt it though) all I’m saying is Laine was a better prospect by a fair amount.

Svechnikov is close to Tavares and Stamkos(he’s still not on pace for the same amount of points or goals) and having a record breaking U17 USHL season still doesn’t keep up to all the accomplishments Laine had in his Draft year.

Also Laine has been better Interationally better before being drafted...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
Both Dahlen and Svarnikov hype has cooled down in Draft year...Setting up to be a poor draft when guys like Borqvist and Zadino are highly rated.

Reactions: Fantomas

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

His draft season seems to get underhyped here more like.

Laine was simply unreal and carried his Liiga team to championsip at 17y, he was a huge part of WJC winning team, some could say the biggest, he was a huge part of why Finns won silver at the Worlds at 17y.

Laine in OHL would have been brutal.

Memyselfandi

Feb 10, 2018
(for Dalhin) Coach in sweden said he is the best defenseman prospect since hedman and Lindstrom... and Karlsson himself said he is better then him at the same age. I think its enough to call him generational

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
(for Dalhin) Coach in sweden said he is the best defenseman prospect since hedman and Lindstrom... and Karlsson himself said he is better then him at the same age. I think its enough to call him generational
Well, better than Karlsson at 17 isn't much of a stretch considering he wasn't regarded as a high-end prospect at the time.

Picked #15 overall, but expected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad