Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Someone is giving him bad advice.
Shortly after his season ends next year, he will be able to sign with any team he wants.
No, he'd have to go back for his 4th year for that to happen (I believe)

Worst case scenario, he doesn't want to be a Jet. If that's the case, he's a great trade chip to build a package around to shore up the right side D or find a young, long term solution at 2C

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If I'm a prospect for the Jets and this sentence gets mentioned, that's my sign to go play literally anywhere else. For any NCAA or KHL prospect, it's either a guaranteed roster spot or see ya next year. It's just not worth it, and I say this as someone who believes that we will move heaven and earth for Rut, to take the risk of getting Heinola'd. You don't get another chance at an ELC.

Very few get guaranteed roster spots. They often get guaranteed a game, or a few games to burn an ELC year. Then it is AHL next year, at least to start. An injury later in the season gives them a chance to grab a spot and hold on to it.

KHL is a different story. The best ones are making pretty decent money over there.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Hypothetically i I buy the angle that he's not willing to play in AHL, isn't that a bit of a character red flag
No, it is not. We are talking about a small-market team with a widely-known problem of attracting talent and a less-widely-known problem of giving prospects chances at the NHL level, and a clear blue-chip prospect with options on the table. This ain't a spot for us to play hardball. Make room for him, make him happy.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm sure he's more concerned about how his decision will impact him next season than how it will affect him when he's 38

It would appear so. There is also the signing bonus, but that will still be there next year.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
He's pulling a Wheeler and will wind up in LA with the nice weather.

I think with bonus money players earn around $500k for the 3 years.
Do you mean signing bonus or performance bonus? Because he won't be accessing any performance bonus money next year on the Moose.

After a quick Google, signing bonuses for ELCs may not exceed 10% of the contract and are paid annually - so does that mean that he'd get $95,000 guaranteed each year kn to of the $80,000 if he played excludlsively on the Moose?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Very few get guaranteed roster spots. They often get guaranteed a game, or a few games to burn an ELC year. Then it is AHL next year, at least to start. An injury later in the season gives them a chance to grab a spot and hold on to it.

KHL is a different story. The best ones are making pretty decent money over there.
Rutger is a very few -type of prospect. Give him a guarantee.

Also, our track record of giving prospects shots in the show is f***ing abysmal. There's no reason to believe that any prospect is going to bite on a promise of being the next man up (after the waiver wire pickups that mysteriously appear halfway through the year, of course).

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I wouldn’t doubt he gets his cake and eats it too. Plays another season of college, and good chance they don’t advance as far. Signs next year and burns a year of ELC as he will have a fair amount of leverage at that time.
Who knows what happens this offseason as well with Ehlers and Connor and the search for a RHD.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
One encouraging thing for me is that recently seems like high profile NCAA players who dont plan on signing with the team that drafted them let it known before it's too late (Gauthier, Fox come to mind)

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I'm sure he's more concerned about how his decision will impact him next season than how it will affect him when he's 38
That extra year could buy him a Honda. Then he could fly anywhere in the world and avoid airport goons for the rest of his life.

No, he'd have to go back for his 4th year for that to happen (I believe)

Worst case scenario, he doesn't want to be a Jet. If that's the case, he's a great trade chip to build a package around to shore up the right side D or find a young, long term solution at 2C
You can't trade him if he hasn't signed a contract.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Do you mean signing bonus or performance bonus? Because he won't be accessing any performance bonus money next year on the Moose.

After a quick Google, signing bonuses for ELCs may not exceed 10% of the contract and are paid annually - so does that mean that he'd get $95,000 guaranteed each year kn to of the $80,000 if he played excludlsively on the Moose?
He could get a signing bonus of $90k plus and then earn $70k a year playing for the Moose. They pay 3 years of signing bonus and 3 years of $70k.

Maybe UM will pay him well.

You can trade his rights
What is he a camel? I suppose the rights mean the right to talk to him and his agent. That's not worth too much.

• Haha
Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
If he doesn't make the Jets, he's only losing out on $80,000 playing for the Moose next year.

He'll walk into a spot in the Jets top 9 the next season
Don’t forget the signing bonus money. As well, he’s shortening his development and his career by 1 or 2 years. How many million is that ?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
He could get a signing bonus of $90k plus and then earn $70k a year playing for the Moose. They pay 3 years of signing bonus and 3 years of $70k.

Maybe UM will pay him well.

What is he a camel? I suppose the rights mean the right to talk to him and his agent. That's not worth too much.
There are plenty of shenanigans going on in NCAA sports, including hockey. I've heard a few first hand stories involving boosters and expense accounts for players that never seem to run out of money

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Rutger is a very few -type of prospect. Give him a guarantee.

Also, our track record of giving prospects shots in the show is f***ing abysmal. There's no reason to believe that any prospect is going to bite on a promise of being the next man up (after the waiver wire pickups that mysteriously appear halfway through the year, of course).
Nonsense. I believe the Jets currently have 11 players on the active roster who were their draft picks/prospects. Can also throw Laine, Trouba, Copp and others I can't recall at the moment that were regulars onto that list. Unfortunately some players just won't make it (eg. Pertan). Unless 100% of other teams prospects become NHL regulars and I've missed something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad