Olympics: Russia will send 29 players to Vancouver, final roster announced on Feb. 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'd like to hear your counter argument.

In this instance, it has more to do with NHL refs being used than NHL sized ice.

I think having NHL refs (Canadian refs doing Canadian games) is an acceptable counter-balance when games are on big ice. However, for these Olympics, that counter-balance isn't needed.
There's absolutely no reason why an American ref should be judging Team USA, etc., etc.
NHL refs may be some of the best in the world, but it doesn't preclude them from being biased.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
In this instance, it has more to do with NHL refs being used than NHL sized ice.

I think having NHL refs (Canadian refs doing Canadian games) is an acceptable counter-balance when games are on big ice. However, for these Olympics, that counter-balance isn't needed.
There's absolutely no reason why an American ref should be judging Team USA, etc., etc.
NHL refs may be some of the best in the world, but it doesn't preclude them from being biased.

Turning your logic around, isn't it possible that Canadian refs may actually call Canadian games closer as to not appear biased?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Turning your logic around, isn't it possible that Canadian refs may actually call Canadian games closer as to not appear biased?

Maybe, maybe not; but in the name of fairness that referee shouldn't be put in that position in the first place.

Hypothetically, what if all of Russia's games were scheduled to be reffed by Russians at 2014 olympics?.....I think most North Americans would absolutely laugh at that idea.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Maybe, maybe not; but in the name of fairness that referee shouldn't be put in that position in the first place.

Hypothetically, what if all of Russia's games were scheduled to be reffed by Russians at 2014 olympics?.....I think most North Americans would absolutely laugh at that idea.

Good point. I guess to remove any doubt, no game should be officiated by a citizen of the country playing (unless agreed to by both teams)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Good point. I guess to remove any doubt, no game should be officiated by a citizen of the country playing (unless agreed to by both teams)

I must say that regardless of its shortcomings, Olympics is still the most fair tourney we have.
Despite it being on small ice this year, IIHF rules will still be used; and, unlike the World Cup, there will at least be some level of accountability for refs (IOC).

Should be a good tournament!

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
You don't need to build a new stadium, just remove a few rows of seats to conform to Olympic playing standards. Is that really too much to ask?

Like you said, I don't think it's that big of a deal because most players are used to small ice.......however, something definitely smells fishy when Vancouver can't even conform to basic Olympic standards for one of the biggest events. Makes you wonder what other events they're 'saving money' on.

Actually that is a bigger deal than you think. Not only do they have to remove seating, but they would then also have to increase the size of the whole ice plant. This would include extending the underslab plumbing lines that creates the cold concrete surface as well as most likely increasing the size of the equipment used to distribute the coolant through the loop and the refrigeration unit used in changing the temperature of the coolant. All in all that would be a multi-million dollar investment. Also the time for the concrete to cure for an ice surface is not just a couple of days and adding it to an existing slab can create all kinds of problems.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Small ice is not a problem. Not a single hockey professional in Russia has anything against it. Bykov said small ice takes a very short time to adjust, not a problem!!!

I hope the officiating is fair. Majority of Russia's games in NA were poorly officated in favor of the NA opposition. Canada Cup 87 beats them all but Quebec final in 2008 was also very poor. Burrowas/Auger situation proves how easy it is for an NHL ref to call a phantom penalty.... and get away with it. Watch out for those!!!

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Small ice is not a problem. Not a single hockey professional in Russia has anything against it. Bykov said small ice takes a very short time to adjust, not a problem!!!

I hope the officiating is fair. Majority of Russia's games in NA were poorly officated in favor of the NA opposition. Canada Cup 87 beats them all but Quebec final in 2008 was also very poor. Burrowas/Auger situation proves how easy it is for an NHL ref to call a phantom penalty.... and get away with it. Watch out for those!!!

And you know the counter to that is that the majority of Canada's games in Europe are considered to be officiated in favour of the European team. It's an endless cycle, really.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

And Canadian fans get mad when our players receive penalties for basically 'hitting too hard.' It goes both ways, and, yet, sometimes I get the impression that Russian fans feel their team has all these extra obstacles to overcome.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
And Canadian fans get mad when our players receive penalties for basically 'hitting too hard.' It goes both ways, and, yet, sometimes I get the impression that Russian fans feel their team has all these extra obstacles to overcome.

Show me a clip on youtube where there was a penalty against Canada for "hitting too hard". On my part I can show you a plenty of clips on youtube with phantom calls.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Show me a clip on youtube where there was a penalty against Canada for "hitting too hard". On my part I can show you a plenty of clips on youtube with phantom calls.

That is exactly my point, and I am sure we both could put up numerous clips of blown calls by the ref. None of this "evidence" amounts to proof that one team faces more bias than the other.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
That is exactly my point, and I am sure we both could put up numerous clips of blown calls by the ref. None of this "evidence" amounts to proof that one team faces more bias than the other.

What? If Pierre Mcquire told you that a player was penalized for hitting too hard it doesn't mean it's true. I have never seen such penalty called. I have seen charging, boarding, elbowing calls where Canadian play by play guys whined about simply because sometimes such calls are not called in North America, apparently it is what they call letting the players play, which is of course a large pile of BS. The game should be called by the book, not by the rules established by one referee for one particular game.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
What? If Pierre Mcquire told you that a player was penalized for hitting too hard it doesn't mean it's true. I have never seen such penalty called. I have seen charging, boarding, elbowing calls where Canadian play by play guys whined about.

To distill your thesis to its essense:

1) Russia is almost always unfairly treated in any international tournament held in North America.
2) When Canadian fans express similar concerns, they are biased and whiners.

Is that about right?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Bending a "rule" the NHL/NHLPA strongarmed the IIHF into creating?

Does the "naming a roster 2 months before a tournament" rule make sense from an IIHF standpoint at all? No, it doesn't. The IIHF wants the best players, playing at their best in this tournament. They want the best competition possible at the tournament, hell, who wouldn't?

I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL uses this as a "reason" to not let players play in Socchi. Russians broke a rule we wanted to have in place when the game was on our turf, now we won't send our players to play on their turf.:shakehead

Hasn't it always been that way though? IIRC, the Nagano rosters were named well before January 1.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Seriously, what's more fair? Having the game on NHL ice with NHL refs is a lot fairer than having it on IIHF size ice with IIHF refs. The vast majority of the top end talent on the six teams favoured for medals plays on NHL size ice.
Why on earth should 6 teams get preferential treatment?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Money talks and I would guess the 'big 6 (or 7)' hockey nations provide the most revenue for the IIHF. I like it, it a bit of a home rink advantage that ANY host nation should be able to benefit from when they host the Olympics. It is not like Canada made up these rink dimensions just a few years ago. They have a lot of tradition behind it.

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
I understand that the whole Edmonton team has zero confidence now, but what are you basing your evaluation of Grebeshkov versus Korneev debate? I started following CSKA more due to Korneev's inclusion on the team and he is playing some great hockey. I am not so sure I would want to take Grebeshkov over Korneev.

Well, I've only seen Korneev play a few WC games, and he could certainly be a better player than Grebeshkov for all I know (though I do think when Grebs is on, he's really good). But my preference for Grebs is only that he has much more experience playing on the small ice and against the big Canadian forwards in the Western Conference. He should be ready for their tactics. It's good to hear that Korneev is playing well, though.

What's going to happen with Kozlov?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

It's not about getting preferential treatment, it's not that big of a deal considering that the vast majority of the top end talent in the tournament plays on NHL size ice. It's not unprecedented for an IIHF event to be played on NHL size ice and it saved millions in costs and potential lost revenues.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It's not about getting preferential treatment, it's not that big of a deal considering that the vast majority of the top end talent in the tournament plays on NHL size ice. It's not unprecedented for an IIHF event to be played on NHL size ice and it saved millions in costs and potential lost revenues.

Weren't the World Cups played on NHL ice? It's been a while now, but I seem to recall the last World Cup at least was played on NHL size ice.

espo*

Did you ever consider the fact that the reason you won't see video evidence of that here is because getting full game footage of say a regular round robin game involving Canada at the world champs circa 1988 is damn hard?

Sure, it's easy to bring up plenty of footage on huge important Historic events like the Canada cup but run of the mill or even big games involving Canada for something like the World championships?..........good luck!!

I'll tell you what, you pm me with scores of games involving Canada at the world, er, "European" championships from anywhere from 1980 to the current day and i'll give you a days long worth of how the iihf officiating used to screw Canada around at that thing. it's certainly no secret here.

But as it stands fans like me can only go by bitter memory. hell, i remeber one world championship where Lindros was getting penalised just because the IIHF refs were petrified at how hard the guy was smoking the European players so off to the box he went. His hits were clean as can be but they were just too devastating for your refs sensibilities.

And that's just one example.

you also have to take into account the fact that you won't find stuff like that on youtube because canadian fans just don't have your guys raging and uncontrollable disease that says every loss must obviousely be because the refs had it out for us.
They just accpet losses as a failure on the part of their team much better. It's no wonder you can find such things such as endless youtube "evidence" of russia being hard done by because that's basically what a lot of you guys do, you spend time looking for so called bias.

it's sad really but it's a fact that you guys engage in that almost exclusively. I know I see precious little of that from american and canadian fans, but you guys?

Well, you're living proof right here in the flesh!!

Cmon guys, just play the ****in game, stop crying so much.

you have no idea how bad it makes you look.

Seriously, just sit back and enjoy the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad