Olympics: Russia will send 29 players to Vancouver, final roster announced on Feb. 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
If mods think this is not thread worthy please delete this. I think it is because Russia seemingly sees the situation with the rosters different than was presented in NA media

Russia will send 6 more players to Vancouver additionally to 23 players already announced. Russian officials say that the final roster will be finalized on February 15th.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Link?

Wasn't it already clarified that the rosters were already set in December save for "reasonable" substitutions?

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
The main purpose of the extra players will be to train with the team before the NHLers get to Vancouver. So instead of just 14 KHLers practising a week before the Olympics, there will be a "full" squad, with some goalies. Although I find it hard to imagine Zubov going unless he'll get icetime in actual games.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I doubt any changes will be made without injury being a factor.

Changes to the preliminary roster? I don't know, I don't think Bykov really puts too much importance to it. He said he would never guarantee a spot on his team to anyone 6 weeks in advance and he is as stubborn as they come. I also don't think he cares about much what NHL have to say about this matter.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Changes to the preliminary roster? I don't know, I don't think Bykov really puts too much importance to it. He said he would never guarantee a spot on his team to anyone 6 weeks in advance and he is as stubborn as they come. I also don't think he cares about much what NHL have to say about this matter.

Yeah, but who do you think will be replaced?

Tereschenko instead of Kozlov? Zubov instead of Korneev?

This is just an opinion, but I think, baring and injury, roster will stay the way it is.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I now have some certainty that Zubov will be on this team, perhaps instead of Grebeshkov. I don't like at all how Grebeshkov has been playing, just too many mistakes. Zubov on the other hand has been playing absolutely great in the last 2-3 weeks.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

What's the NHL have to do with it? It's the IIHF he has to worry about. You can't change the roster without a "valid reason"

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olyhockey/news/story?id=4811263

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
I now have some certainty that Zubov will be on this team, perhaps instead of Grebeshkov. I don't like at all how Grebeshkov has been playing, just too many mistakes. Zubov on the other hand has been playing absolutely great in the last 2-3 weeks.

Grebeshkov plays on arguably the worst team in the NHL, a team that has already started looking ahead to next season. How can you legitimately evaluate his play in that situation? I do hope Zubov is added to replace Korneev though. Grebeshkov at least has some experience playing against the Sharks forwards, Getzlaf and Perry, and the Sedins. It'll be interesting to see how/if Bykov makes any changes to the roster. Taking a pneumonia-weakened Kozlov would be asinine, I think.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
What's the NHL have to do with it? It's the IIHF he has to worry about. You can't change the roster without a "valid reason"

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olyhockey/news/story?id=4811263

I believe the preliminary rosters were forced upon by the NHL. Hockey is the only Olympic sport that required to announce the roster. Why would that be? IIHF never asked to do that before for their tournaments. Even though I do not have the proof but I am 99% sure that the NHL has a lot to do with that.

As for the memo, it's funny that Bykov is not mentioning it, he is just saying that the roster is to be finalized on the Feb 15th.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Grebeshkov plays on arguably the worst team in the NHL, a team that has already started looking ahead to next season. How can you legitimately evaluate his play in that situation? I do hope Zubov is added to replace Korneev though. Grebeshkov at least has some experience playing against the Sharks forwards, Getzlaf and Perry, and the Sedins. It'll be interesting to see how/if Bykov makes any changes to the roster. Taking a pneumonia-weakened Kozlov would be asinine, I think.

I understand that the whole Edmonton team has zero confidence now, but what are you basing your evaluation of Grebeshkov versus Korneev debate? I started following CSKA more due to Korneev's inclusion on the team and he is playing some great hockey. I am not so sure I would want to take Grebeshkov over Korneev.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

The Russian hockey people put together the best roster possible at the beginning. If those guys kept playing well I dont see a reason they would need to change players.

Unless a player is hurt or suddenly started being terrible why change the first roster?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I believe the preliminary rosters were forced upon by the NHL. Hockey is the only Olympic sport that required to announce the roster. Why would that be? IIHF never asked to do that before for their tournaments. Even though I do not have the proof but I am 99% sure that the NHL has a lot to do with that.

As for the memo, it's funny that Bykov is not mentioning it, he is just saying that the roster is to be finalized on the Feb 15th.

Ofc NHL has a lot to do with it. In fact no other Olympic sport has a league to adapt to, except soccer but let's not go there. But it's a good tradeoff for IIHF because they get the best players. In the end I think it benefits both parties, IIHF gets a hell of a tournament and NHL attracts new fans by showing the elite to casual fans especially in Europe.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
Ok so apparently Russia will bring along Tereschenko, Zubov, Proshkin, Tverdovsky (joke?), Koshechkin and Eremenko.

And a couple of NHLers might still make the team, like Kovalev or Frolov.

IMO none of this is a big deal.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'd want Zubov to replace Kalinin rather than Korneev/Grebeshkov.

Korneev-Grebeshkov pairing have been very solid in the past.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Ok so apparently Russia will bring along Tereschenko, Zubov, Proshkin, Tverdovsky (joke?), Koshechkin and Eremenko.

And a couple of NHLers might still make the team, like Kovalev or Frolov.

IMO none of this is a big deal.
Well, a healthy and motivated Zubov instead of Kalinin is quite a big deal for me. Especially considering the pressure they will face in Vancouver. The bigger personality, the better.

And Kovalev is also a big deal.. i mean, in a good or bad way depending on which kind of Kovalev shows up, the stud or the more frequently known phantom.

Anyway, i hope Russians are right, having the chance to fix the rosters until february 15th on paper would only benefit the tournament.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
If Team Canada staff members (and other nations managment) have not been in Russia scouting the KHL players selected already, this provides extra opportunity to watch them play in a full roster inter-squad situation.

Sergei Makarov

Jan 19, 2010
Saint Petersburg
Hope Frolov is one of the players! He's been playing well of late

2 goals in 14 games is not my idea of playing well.

On the other hand, I really want to see Tverdovsky on the team. He is playing better than ever, has a lot of experience and with his amazing skating skills and leadership, he could be a "secret weapon". He's very underrated.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
2 goals in 14 games is not my idea of playing well.

On the other hand, I really want to see Tverdovsky on the team. He is playing better than ever, has a lot of experience and with his amazing skating skills and leadership, he could be a "secret weapon". He's very underrated.
Bah, i'm not confident at all Tverdovsky would help more than hurt on the small rink. I've yet to watch him play this year though.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Someone care to clarify.
Long story short. Russia is basically bending the rules acting all high n mighty. and not actually naming a "final" team until Feb 15th? Even tho, teams were supposed to be named by January 1st?

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
I now have some certainty that Zubov will be on this team, perhaps instead of Grebeshkov. I don't like at all how Grebeshkov has been playing, just too many mistakes.

Grebeskhov does not look 100% himself to me either. He doesn't seem to have the speed/mobility he usually has, and that's not surprising seeing he's coming off a knee injury. It was very apparent last night when he got beat easily by Pavol Demitra in a footrace. I understand Demitra is not a slow player, but I was suprised by how easily he won it as Grebeshkov is usually quick himself.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
As far as i know, the ones bending (breaking, actually) the rules are the Canadians, using budget reasons to play on small rinks :snide:

It's always great when the smiley defines the comment perfectly: "snide". I hope you're kidding. Oh, how I wish flaming wasn't an infraction.

The IIHF says ROSTERS ARE TO BE ANNOUNCED JANUARY 1. Russia completely disregards this.
The IOC and the IIHF say GAMES ARE TO BE PLAYED ON AN NHL RINK BECAUSE IT WOULD BE USELESS AND ABSOLUTELY STUPID TO WASTE RESOURCES TO EXPAND PREEXISTING ARENAS AND TAKE AWAY VALUABLE SEATING. Canada follows this clear cut rule, and are apparently breaking the rules?

In what world is canada breaking the rules and Russia not? Please, I want to see you try to spin this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad