Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2018

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Svechnikov needs more ice, he looked good in the small amount of time he got. At least put him on the PP. Somehow, at one point even Ivanov was on the PP :huh:

Manyukan needs to cut his stick - I have never seen something so stupid in my life. Only big advantage for long stick is long reach for poking for a defenseman. Disadvantages - less puck control, slower release on shot etc. He had 2 excellent one-timer opportunities 1st one (set up by Svech) the replay was hilarious - the release was slow mo even in normal speed lol. The second one was with a minute left he just flubbed it. There's a reason no other small forwards use a stick like that - I cant bear to watch the awkwardness.

My overall comments on the game are- Russians got beat by the better team. This year looks like there is more depth to the top teams that we have seen in a while. In a normal year the Czechs beating the Russians would have been some kind of upset, but this year this is just a result of the stronger team winning. Unless Russia can get some chemistry going on some of the lines, they have no chance because there are no game breaking individuals other than possibly Svech, whos not seeing a whole lot of ice time right now.

Even though I disagree with several of Bragin's moves, I have some hope the team will come together before the end. Although that might be too late if they have to meet a juggernaut in the quarters.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Its frustrating that out of the dozens of players that goes to NA, one finally pans out (Sergechyov) and he can't play.
But he plays in the NHL and it's perfect for Russia. Let it go. Let's not forget what U20 is for. It is pre-cooking for the main dish that is the national team.

The lack of depth on the D and lack of star centers is a pain. But this virtual U20 will supply the national team with one defenceman for sure and maybe another one or two in the future. That's enough. I dont see any of the forwards make it though except for Svechnikov and he is an underager so technically not this current U20's product. That is a problem.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
That was pretty bad game from Russia. Mistakes at own zone, zero improvisation at offense( for example static powerplay´s system), low speed, not good goalkeeping. What is wrong with this team?
Nothing's wrong. Look at the names. Only biased fans will tell you how well Abramov, Rubtsov & Co. are doing/going to be. They regress even to what they looked at U18 level.
There are in general except for Svechnikov who is an undeager no game breaking future stars on this roster. Just guys who might carve out a top 6 career somewhere in the KHL at some point.
The D without Sergachev and Dronov is an absolute mess.
You can't have a future star goalie every year too.
Where should the results come from?

This team has a chance if they gel as a team and get some Bragin vibe. While obviously I agree with @Fantomas. Bragin is a motivator, but has little idea about tactics. The perfect world would have him in a tandem with a tactics mastermind to carve out a game plan with Bragin getting the fire going under that team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't even know what to say... were coaches on holidays all that time?

Melnichuk over Berdin and/or Sukhachyov?
Svechnikov on the PK?
Knyzhov on the PP?
Special teams?
Maybe some line changes after they didn't look great Vs Slovakia?
If you want to shoot the puck from the blue line all the time on the PP, maybe send Syomin there and Ivanov for some screen a bit earlier than last moment?
I guess Bragin is not expecting to win the group from the get go. Experimenting. To a state of silly.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
But he plays in the NHL and it's perfect for Russia. Let it go. Let's not forget what U20 is for. It is pre-cooking for the main dish that is the national team.

The lack of depth on the D and lack of star centers is a pain. But this virtual U20 will supply the national team with one defenceman for sure and maybe another one or two in the future. That's enough. I dont see any of the forwards make it though except for Svechnikov and he is an underager so technically not this current U20's product. That is a problem.

I don't understand the line of thinking that says that "he plays in the NHL and its perfect for Russia." Where are the results that support that thinking? Russians have been going to the NHL since 1989. How many Olympic Gold Medals have been won featuring Russians in the NHL? Even in the WC, which North Americans write off as a sideshow, the results have been far too modest to claim a benefit. And often times, 2017 as a valid example, the Russian effort is hindered because the best players haven't been eliminated from the Stanley Cup yet.

The real problem is the lack of Russian talent and depth produced by youth hockey. That is why there is a widespread pessimism about the ability of the 2018 team to recover from the loss to the Czechs and actually reach the medal round, despite the fact that it isn't over by far, and there is ample opportunity to recover. Pictures don't lie, and it was difficult to watch the entire game yesterday. Bragin has done a great job in the past in recovering from weak starts, but where is the quality and production going to come from in that lineup?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Svechnikov needs more ice, he looked good in the small amount of time he got. At least put him on the PP. Somehow, at one point even Ivanov was on the PP :huh:

Manyukan needs to cut his stick - I have never seen something so stupid in my life. Only big advantage for long stick is long reach for poking for a defenseman. Disadvantages - less puck control, slower release on shot etc. He had 2 excellent one-timer opportunities 1st one (set up by Svech) the replay was hilarious - the release was slow mo even in normal speed lol. The second one was with a minute left he just flubbed it. There's a reason no other small forwards use a stick like that - I cant bear to watch the awkwardness.

My overall comments on the game are- Russians got beat by the better team. This year looks like there is more depth to the top teams that we have seen in a while. In a normal year the Czechs beating the Russians would have been some kind of upset, but this year this is just a result of the stronger team winning. Unless Russia can get some chemistry going on some of the lines, they have no chance because there are no game breaking individuals other than possibly Svech, whos not seeing a whole lot of ice time right now.

Even though I disagree with several of Bragin's moves, I have some hope the team will come together before the end. Although that might be too late if they have to meet a juggernaut in the quarters.

Imo, Ivanov should be there on the PP, Syomin's goal was the perfect example of him doing the screen:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Lines from practice:

Altybarmakyan-Maltsev-Polodyan
Manukyan-Rubtsov-Kayumov
Sokolov-Sholokhov-Abramov
Kostin-Ivanov-Svechnikov

Additionally, Samorukov injured his shoulder, not known yet if serious or not.
Edit: just read an update that he is fine.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Imo, Ivanov should be there on the PP, Syomin's goal was the perfect example of him doing the screen:

IMO god no. 11 other better options, Svechnikov in particular. He was a half screen on one play of several terrible PP's during the game. And Im only giving him half credit for the screen. Look, if Bragin is going to carry guys like this as role players then ok, but to sit guys on the PP who know how to score for role players - no way.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
IMO god no. 11 other better options, Svechnikov in particular. He was a half screen on one play of several terrible PP's during the game. And Im only giving him half credit for the screen. Look, if Bragin is going to carry guys like this as role players then ok, but to sit guys on the PP who know how to score for role players - no way.

I don't know, I can see only 2 or 3 players on this team who have the required qualities for this task: Ivanov, Kostin and maybe Maltsev. Imo, Svechnikov lacks power for that, not to mention that to use him there sounds like a bit of a waste to me.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't know, I can see only 2 or 3 players on this team who have the required qualities for this task: Ivanov, Kostin and maybe Maltsev. Imo, Svechnikov lacks power for that, not to mention that to use him there sounds like a bit of a waste to me.

Svechnikov was in front of the net in the beginning of the game against the Czechs I was saying to my self here we go again, Bragin putting another Svechnikov to play in front of the net and do the meat and potatoes work instead of having the puck. Thankfully they removed Andrei from this spot later on and placed him on the sideboards.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Mixed feelings, really, a win is a win, of course, but it was so chaotic.

• Can we try Berdin now? I mean, Sukhachyov was an improvement over Melnichuk, but I still hope it can be better with Berdin.
  • Makeyev :facepalm: deservingly got benched after putting that red carpet in front of the Swiss guy on the second goal.
  • Syomin's shot is still a weapon and suddenly he was pretty decent on his own end, don't know why Bragin keeps him on the 4th pairing.
  • Didn't like Sokolov and Manukyan, also Ivanov, although he did much better in the second half of the game. I seriously think that the 4th line of Manukyan-Ivanov-Sokolov could be a pretty good one if they can keep it disciplined.
  • Kostin was just great all game long, although I'd prefer to see him with Abramov or Rubtsov.
  • Finally some good performance from Rubtsov, Hextall on the stands sure did the motivation.
  • Abramov still can't blend with his linemates... although it's hard to blame him when those are Sokolov and Sholokhov.
  • Didn't like Sholokhov, but we don't have other options anyway at 3rd line C.
  • First line would be good, if it was our second line.
  • Svechnikov wasn't very good in the 1st part of the game, but was able to improve as the game went on.
  • Kayumov already showed signs of that high energy game in the first game, but now also got rid of some bad mistakes. Also I can imagine Prokhorov smiling when he saw their chemistry with Rubtsov.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
  • Can we try Berdin now? I mean, Sukhachyov was an improvement over Melnichuk, but I still hope it can be better with Berdin.
Bragin has always struggled with choosing the right goalie - Georgiev over Samsonov, even last time Russia won gold Shikin and Bobkov both played in the gold medal game. This time its inexcusable - Sukachyov played himself out of a spot by getting pulled 2 games in the SS and now the shaky performances against weak opponents in this tournament. Berdin has yet to falter in international competition. If he does not start next game Russia has no chance at a medal. Defies all logic that he has not been given a start. Please Bragin, you are better than this.

• Didn't like Sokolov and Manukyan, also Ivanov, although he did much better in the second half of the game. I seriously think that the 4th line of Manukyan-Ivanov-Sokolov could be a pretty good one if they can keep it disciplined.
These guys have been non factors. Bragin should throw them on the 4th unit together like you said and only used if the other 3 units need a break. Playing 3 lines can be a good advantage if they are deep. Better than using 4 stretched out lines. Sokolov is only useful for his shot on the PP, which they have not been using. There is no point for him being there, he cannot keep up to the pace -way too slow. Sholokhov also another predictable non factor, suddenly leaving Kravstsov behind is not looking so good, by my calculation, short one more good forward (see below).

IMO - Maltsev line is solid 2 ways, then Rubtsov with Abramov and whoever, Svech with Kostin and Kayumov and the offense might start to click at the right time. Kostin and svech are heating up but Ivanov is dead weight on that line.

PP needs more than just shots from the point. They need more movement and better passing. Even Belarus had some nice movement between Yeryemenko and Sharangovich (very nice player BTW).

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Still everything is chaotic.

Kostin is great, best player out there, imo. Rubtsov and Kayumov are fine too. A lot of guys are still looking pretty dissapointing: Manukyan, Sokolov, defense, even Abramov didn't look as motivated as he was before.

No Berdin, looks like coaches decided to go with Sukhachyov. That makes me a bit nervous (and apparently Sukhachyov too), but I still hope for the best.

Syomin plays with a cage on his helmet, probably got injured in last game.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I cant believe it comes down to this, out of all the goalies available this year (Ustimenko, Zhukov, Berdin etc.) and somehow here we are. Id rather go back to Melnichuk at this point

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I cant believe it comes down to this, out of all the goalies available this year (Ustimenko, Zhukov, Berdin etc.) and somehow here we are. Id rather go back to Melnichuk at this point

Unfortunately it's kind of selecting one of the lesser evils at the moment. Here it is hard to judge, as we don't know the stuff coaches do know. If Melnichuk is on one of his "cold streaks", then I'd definitely go with Sukhachyov hoping that he can be as good as he was vs. Slovakia. If Melnichuk is not "cold", but just had a couple of under par games, I'd give him another try. Again, I don't understand what did Berdin do to be demoted like that, he was fine vs. Slovakia, imo.

Shvyryov seriously wasn't good enough to make this team?

The issue with Shvyryov is that at least at this point of his career he basically can't defend and that required him to be reaaallly good at the attack to make the team, which he wasn't.

I'm more interested why Kosorenkov was ignored (I saw his goal from yesterday and can't get rid of the thought that I wanted Sokolov to play that way) and Dmitriy Zaitsev too (it's not like we would be that rich of D guys).

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Mixed feelings, really, a win is a win, of course, but it was so chaotic.

• Makeyev :facepalm: deservingly got benched after putting that red carpet in front of the Swiss guy on the second goal.
  • Syomin's shot is still a weapon and suddenly he was pretty decent on his own end, don't know why Bragin keeps him on the 4th pairing.
  • Kostin was just great all game long, although I'd prefer to see him with Abramov or Rubtsov.
  • Finally some good performance from Rubtsov, Hextall on the stands sure did the motivation.
  • Abramov still can't blend with his linemates... although it's hard to blame him when those are Sokolov and Sholokhov.
  • Didn't like Sholokhov, but we don't have other options anyway at 3rd line C.
  • First line would be good, if it was our second line.
  • Svechnikov wasn't very good in the 1st part of the game, but was able to improve as the game went on.
  • Kayumov already showed signs of that high energy game in the first game, but now also got rid of some bad mistakes. Also I can imagine Prokhorov smiling when he saw their chemistry with Rubtsov.

Very hard to watch Makeyev getting undressed by the Swiss forward, thus giving them new life.

Difficult to fathom how the once-promising Sokolov could have sunk so low, although he could possibly contribute to a 4th line if he were willing to use his thick body in the crease to block the goaltender. He was fed an easy one-timer in front of the goal, and he completely missed the puck. But if he was willing to get physical in front of the net, he might earn his keep.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I would hold off the criticism until after the swe game.

there are moments, when the team looks decent.

Actually that's totally the right thing to do, just... team's chaotic and nervous play is making me nervous too. :D

Anyway, I hope we will get European team in the quarters, as it will likely mean an earlier game time for us (otherwise I might miss it due to my working schedule). :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00