Russia still banned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another year where international hockey is watered down.

I hope we don’t need an end to the war for Russia to be allowed back. Wars don’t always end quickly.

The safety excuse is so bogus. Has nothing to do with safety. No one is bringing war to these tournaments. Politics, but we can’t discuss that, so I won’t elaborate.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005

I hope we don’t need an end to the war for Russia to be allowed back. Wars don’t always end quickly.

The safety excuse is so bogus. Has nothing to do with safety. No one is bringing war to these tournaments. Politics, but we can’t discuss that, so I won’t elaborate.

Nobody misses Russia, they have not won anything of lately expect the watered down olympics where they almost lost to Germany which would have been truly embarrassing. The sporting loss of Russia is minimal.

There is no need to invite this nation who is notoriously known for doping, cheating, corruption and now for something we cant discuss but everyone knows what is is. The hockey federation of Russia have always been the flagship PR machine for the motherland, they dont deserve to use it currently!

Let the Russian players enjoy the KHL, they can do whatever want there!

And also like I said before, there is no chance Finland, Sweden and Czechia would even play against them, and I much rather see these nations compete than Russia alone. I would never visit an arena and pay for tickets if the opposing team were Russia!

All in all slam dunk decision by the IIHF!

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
why can't they compete as "Athletes from Russia" or something, where they aren't representing the Russian Federation, only themsleves.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
why can't they compete as "Athletes from Russia" or something, where they aren't representing the Russian Federation, only themsleves.

Russia is qualified to compete for the IIHF worlds - not a random set of individuals under a different name!

If these individual players wants to compete as neutral KHL pioneers they cant start in the C tournament and play their way up to the A group.

No idea why people are so desperate for them to be there, its mind-boggling! Russia has won 1 World Championship title in 10 years, its not like they are irreplaceable even just considering sporting talent.

On top of that Russia was not punished enough for what happened in Sochi 2014, they should have been banned for all international sports for 15-20 years, so this current "suspension" is well deserved!

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

Because a large part of the world is over their "we didn't do nuffin" excuse and it's time to accept some collective responsibility. "Athletes from Russia" candle has been burnt.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo

I don't think you realize what would happen if Russia or Belarus were to face Latvia. It likely would be a mass brawl in the stands and they would absolutely have to bring in armed security, similar to soccer matches.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Because they are a top hockey nation. Even if they don't win gold, their inclusion entirely changes the complexion of a tournament.
If Im not mistaken they have the most WJC medals in the past 10 years of their participation.

Nor have they been implicated in any cheating scandals in hockey sans that weird meldonium thing at u18 a decade ago. If we’re worried about scandals, Hockey Canada might be the first place to look at the moment.

OK. Russia has 1 title the last 20 years in the WJH and 1 title the last 10 years in the mens worlds.

Even if they are like in the top 4 to 6 range it does not mean it hurts hockey in any meaningful way it they are not there. Chances for other teams to shine and create more interest in hockey outweighs Russias absence.

And you cant pull the hockey canada card on me since I am one of the people most vocal about suspending team Canada from the world juniors for at least a year and also ban them from hosting any WJH events in Canada for a couple of years.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Because they are a top hockey nation. Even if they don't win gold, their inclusion entirely changes the complexion of a tournament.
If Im not mistaken they have the most WJC medals in the past 10 years of their participation.

Nor have they been implicated in any cheating scandals in hockey sans that weird meldonium thing at u18 a decade ago.

If we’re worried about scandals, Hockey Canada might be the first place to look at the moment. But of course that’s not in the IIHF’s political interest.
Their inclusion would immediately turn any tournament extremely toxic and ultimately prevent it from taking place.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
OK. Russia has 1 title the last 20 years in the WJH and 1 title the last 10 years in the mens worlds.

Even if they are like in the top 4 to 6 range it does not mean it hurts hockey in any meaningful way it they are not there. Chances for other teams to shine and create more interest in hockey outweighs Russias absence.

And you cant pull the hockey canada card on me since I am one of the people most vocal about suspending team Canada from the world juniors for at least a year and also ban them from hosting any WJH events in Canada for a couple of years.

I’m not calling you out. I brought up Hockey Canada’s discretions (and IIHF’s favoritism of China) because it highlights the IIHF’s double standards.

It all proves my point that Russia’s suspension is enacted for the political benefits of certain IIHF members.
The IIHF is playing politics, not Russia. It has nothing to do with reputation, ethics, whatever. And it hurts the level of play in hockey.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It is amazing to follow this process. They do not realise they are hurting the IIHF and all European hockey. They do not realise they are helping the Russian hockey & KHL to be stronger. At the end of a day, we will see the massive change in international hockey & hockey officials in Sweden/Finland etc will not like it. More, read this.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
It is amazing to follow this process. They do not realise they are hurting the IIHF and all European hockey. They do not realise they are helping the Russian hockey & KHL to be stronger. At the end of a day, we will see the massive change in international hockey & hockey officials in Sweden/Finland etc will not like it. More, read this.

What does it matter when KHL has it playoffs or the Gagarin cup or whatever its called? If the Gagarin cup is played during the IIHF worlds, who cares? I would never watch the KHL even if there was no other hockey available, so whatever they do in the KHL does not bother me at all in sweden, and I am sure finns and czechs dont give a darn either!

When Jaromir Jagr played in the KHL I tried to watch it, but even I that had followed Jagrs whole career could not keep myself interested.

And if you imply that the IIHF worlds will tank completely if Russia does not a send a team or does not send their best players from within Russia then you are wrong.

The world of hockey does not revolve around Russia, nobody cares about the KHL outside Russia, nor the Russian national team, the interest in the IIHF worlds have not tanked because Russia got banned!

May I remind you that any swedish players that plays in the KHL are banned from the swedish national team? And even when the ban of Russia is lifted, there are enough good players to compete even if some greedy douches must go play in the KHL and happen to not have been eliminated in the KHL-playoffs when the worlds take place.

The KHL will not hold the rest of the hockey world ransom, it will never happen!

Below:

vorkys orginal post he is referring to:

"My point is not only next year. My point is a long term effect when this mess is over.

I remind you the history. The KHL has always tried to prolong their season (playoffs) into May with the idea to host the IIHF Worlds in February instead of May. They proposed it at the 2012 Barcelona Hockey Forum, but the European hockey federations (Swedes, Finns, Czechs etc) refused it. The NHL tentatively agreed with the idea to break a season in February to have Olympics/World Cup/IIHF Worlds (instead of May). As we can see, the NHL follows this vision with hosting 4 Nations in February.

The KHL has always been unsuccessfull with the idea of prolonging season due to the pressure from the Russian Hockey Federation (FHR) and the IIHF. Now, the behaviour of the IIHF & national hockey federations in Sweden/Finland/Czechia etc has paradoxically helped the KHL to make it happen. Sadly, the guys at these institutions have never realised what they are doing with banning Russia.

To sum it up. If they make it, they will not come back to "business as usual" after year or two or later when this mess is over.

What will be the effect?

1.Likely the KHL will play their Gagarin Cup playoffs during the IIHF Worlds,

2.The KHL will break the regular season only for two events a) Channel One Cup in December b) February break for Olympics/World Cup/IIHF Worlds/KHL-NHL Series.

3.The KHL will have the same status as the NHL in relationship with the IIHF.

I am writing THIS you (not you personally but all hockey community here) to know the effect of what is happening. And I am asking what quality will the IIHF Worlds (if still in May) have if the best two world leagues (NHL/KHL) will keep playing their playoffs during the May-IIHF Worlds? Or will the IIHF Worlds be held in February?

As said above, the guys at these European hockey institutions have never realised what they are doing with banning Russia. Sadly."

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What does it matter when KHL has it playoffs or the Gagarin cup or whatever its called? If the Gagarin cup is played during the IIHF worlds, who cares? I would never watch the KHL even if there was no other hockey available, so whatever they do in the KHL does not bother me at all in sweden, and I am sure finns and czechs dont give a darn either!

When Jaromir Jagr played in the KHL I tried to watch it, but even I that had followed Jagrs whole career could not keep myself interested.

And if you imply that the IIHF worlds will tank completely if Russia does not a send a team or does not send their best players from within Russia then you are wrong.

The world of hockey does not revolve around Russia, nobody cares about the KHL outside Russia, nor the Russian national team, the interest in the IIHF worlds have not tanked because Russia got banned!

May I remind you that any swedish players that plays in the KHL are banned from the swedish national team? And even when the ban of Russia is lifted, there are enough good players to compete even if some greedy douches must go play in the KHL and happen to not have been eliminated in the KHL-playoffs when the worlds take place.

The KHL will not hold the rest of the hockey world ransom, it will never happen!

Below:

vorkys orginal post he is referring to:

"My point is not only next year. My point is a long term effect when this mess is over.

I remind you the history. The KHL has always tried to prolong their season (playoffs) into May with the idea to host the IIHF Worlds in February instead of May. They proposed it at the 2012 Barcelona Hockey Forum, but the European hockey federations (Swedes, Finns, Czechs etc) refused it. The NHL tentatively agreed with the idea to break a season in February to have Olympics/World Cup/IIHF Worlds (instead of May). As we can see, the NHL follows this vision with hosting 4 Nations in February.

The KHL has always been unsuccessfull with the idea of prolonging season due to the pressure from the Russian Hockey Federation (FHR) and the IIHF. Now, the behaviour of the IIHF & national hockey federations in Sweden/Finland/Czechia etc has paradoxically helped the KHL to make it happen. Sadly, the guys at these institutions have never realised what they are doing with banning Russia.

To sum it up. If they make it, they will not come back to "business as usual" after year or two or later when this mess is over.

What will be the effect?

1.Likely the KHL will play their Gagarin Cup playoffs during the IIHF Worlds,

2.The KHL will break the regular season only for two events a) Channel One Cup in December b) February break for Olympics/World Cup/IIHF Worlds/KHL-NHL Series.

3.The KHL will have the same status as the NHL in relationship with the IIHF.

I am writing THIS you (not you personally but all hockey community here) to know the effect of what is happening. And I am asking what quality will the IIHF Worlds (if still in May) have if the best two world leagues (NHL/KHL) will keep playing their playoffs during the May-IIHF Worlds? Or will the IIHF Worlds be held in February?

As said above, the guys at these European hockey institutions have never realised what they are doing with banning Russia. Sadly."
It sometimes happen the people do not understand the context and consequences. That is just fine to admit it.

Unfortunatelly, I do not see any will from your side to understand the process, so I am not sure it is useful to comment on it more.

• Haha
Reactions: Namejs

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
It sometimes happen the people do not understand the context and consequences. That is just fine to admit it.

Unfortunatelly, I do not see any will from your side to understand the process, so I am not sure it is useful to comment on it more.

I think we come from different worlds, yours where Russia is the center of the hockey universe and mine where Russia is an insignificant part of the hockey universe.

The KHL can do whatever they want, they wont kill the interest of the IIHF worlds regardless, there simply is not enough desperate but quality greedy players whos going to the KHL to seriously hurt the quality of the national teams to such a degree that interest will fade!

If playing in Russia will mean players risk missing the IIHF worlds then it will become less attractive to play in the KHL, so the KHL could end up hurting themselves!

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I think we come from different worlds, yours where Russia is the center of the hockey universe and mine where Russia is an insignificant part of the hockey universe.

The KHL can do whatever they want, they wont kill the interest of the IIHF worlds regardless, there simply is not enough desperate but quality greedy players whos going to the KHL to seriously hurt the quality of the national teams to such a degree that interest will fade!

If playing in Russia will mean players risk missing the IIHF worlds then it will become less attractive to play in the KHL, so the KHL could end up hurting themselves!
Unfortunatelly, You did not changed my mind with this message so I will repeat myself. I do not see any will from your side to understand the process, so I am not sure it is useful to comment on it more.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
interesting there were no bans when us and its flunkies attacked iraq, yugoslavia, syria, lybia, afghanistan. not a fan of double standarts but nothing can be done about them.
Yugoslavia was banned by the Dutch government in 1999 and the IIHF accepted that ban.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017

If the Russian prospects are going to war/ getting called for duty, it is a safety aspect indeed. It would be pretty hypocritical to be nice to each other in the rink then be sent out to kill and invade the same countries outside of it.
Dont pretend the war is not infecting every level of society and people involved. International hockey included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad