Russia still banned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Slovakia was in a qualifying group with Belarus for the Olympics. Their group just got easier.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ukraine made it to the next round of Olympic qualification and would have been in the same group as Belarus had Belarus been there, so that likely forced IIHF's hand.

Reactions: MXD

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Slovakia was in a qualifying group with Belarus for the Olympics. Their group just got easier.
Question is whether they'll just add one of the lucky losers into that group (Hungary and Romania had the highest point totals of the non-qualifying teams) or go with IIHF rankings (Hungary, then Korea Republic), OR rework the groups entirely given that Belarus normally sits in 14th in rankings.

I'd guess that Hungary gets offered the additional spot. Because Slovakia has the highest ranking you would think they'd get the two qualifying teams, but that might also shift Austria, France or Slovenia in and move Kazakhstan to another group.

Edit: now that I've looked again, it would probably leave Kazakhstan in that group, shift Austria to Group D, Slovenia to Group E and then have Group F get the top qualfier from last weekend, plus whatever additional team comes to the tournament: so probably GB and Hungary? Then Japan would be in Latvia's group and Ukraine going in with Slovakia, Austria and Kazakhstan.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Question is whether they'll just add one of the lucky losers into that group (Hungary and Romania had the highest point totals of the non-qualifying teams) or go with IIHF rankings (Hungary, then Korea Republic), OR rework the groups entirely given that Belarus normally sits in 14th in rankings.

I'd guess that Hungary gets offered the additional spot. Because Slovakia has the highest ranking you would think they'd get the two qualifying teams, but that might also shift Austria, France or Slovenia in and move Kazakhstan to another group.

Edit: now that I've looked again, it would probably leave Kazakhstan in that group, shift Austria to Group D, Slovenia to Group E and then have Group F get the top qualfier from last weekend, plus whatever additional team comes to the tournament: so probably GB and Hungary? Then Japan would be in Latvia's group and Ukraine going in with Slovakia, Austria and Kazakhstan.
I don't follow this very closely... Why does Slovakia even need to qualify? What ranking do you have to have to not have to qualify? 6?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't follow this very closely... Why does Slovakia even need to qualify? What ranking do you have to have to not have to qualify? 6?
Top 8 qualify automatically and the last 4 spots are determined by a Qualification Tournament. Slovakia is ranked 9th, but if Russia stayed banned for 2025-26, that would push them to 8th...

Reactions: Czechboy

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Top 8 qualify automatically, plus the host.

The men’s Olympic tournament will consist of 12 teams. The first team to qualify is Italy, as host nation. The next eight teams qualified based on their World Ranking following the 2023 Men’s World Championship: Canada (1), Finland (2), Russia (3), United States (4), Germany (5), Sweden (6), Switzerland (7), Czechia (8).

The final three spots will be assigned after a series of four rounds of qualification play. Round 1 was scheduled for November 2023 but was subsequently cancelled.

The Olympic tournament will follow the same format as the previous four Olympic Winter Games. Three groups of four teams will play a round-robin series of three games each, after which the top four teams will advance directly to the quarter-finals (the three group winners as well as the second-ranked team with the best record). The other eight teams will be re-seeded and play a qualification round, the four winners also advancing to the quarter-finals.

These eight teams will be re-seeded to determine quarter-finals matchups. The winners advance to the semi-finals while the losers go home. Then, the semi-finals winners play for the gold medal with the semi-finals losers play for the bronze medal.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Was hoping there would be some exception for the juniors, as the U20 World Juniors team Russia would've been just extremely strong next year (wouldn't be surprised for that roster even being the strongest at least on paper), but oh welp.
Russia seems to on an uptick talent wise right now tbh. Some great D coming up too.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Top 8 qualify automatically and the last 4 spots are determined by a Qualification Tournament. Slovakia is ranked 9th, but if Russia stayed banned for 2025-26, that would push them to 8th...
Had no idea they were 9th! Thanks.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Wise decision, hopefully it will continue indefinitely, teams like Sweden, Finland and Czech Republic would probably refuse to play Russia anyways! In 2029 or 2030 it would make sense to consider again.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Russia seems to on an uptick talent wise right now tbh. Some great D coming up too.
2005 born guys so far seem as some sort of an anomaly in a positive way with a lot of talent depth, although I must admit I liked 2003 birth year more, as I think it also had solid depth, but was more balanced. 2004 and 2006 borns look a bit weaker to me in terms of depth, but for both of those years there is quite a special player (Michkov and Silayev respectively).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Two quarter final losses in three years will be bad for your rankings under the IIHF process. Germany's success in the last few years has forced the Czechs and Slovaks down a bit too.
The gold in Prague will help.lol.

You're right though.. we've been shit at this tourney and the ranking is probably well deserved. I do not want us to end up in a. Olympic qualifying pool.

Reactions: Beau Knows

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The gold in Prague will help.lol.

You're right though.. we've been shit at this tourney and the ranking is probably well deserved. I do not want us to end up in a. Olympic qualifying pool.
Yeah, I thought the jewelry stores in Prague had lots of nice gold

• Haha

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
1707796020236.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events