Russia still banned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@Snauen, well informed individuals see the reasoning behind a decision (of any kind): a revenge, as simple as that.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
OK. Russia has 1 title the last 20 years in the WJH and 1 title the last 10 years in the mens worlds.

Even if they are like in the top 4 to 6 range it does not mean it hurts hockey in any meaningful way it they are not there. Chances for other teams to shine and create more interest in hockey outweighs Russias absence.

And you cant pull the hockey canada card on me since I am one of the people most vocal about suspending team Canada from the world juniors for at least a year and also ban them from hosting any WJH events in Canada for a couple of years.
Pretty much the same as Sweden and I think we can agree that Sweden's absence would be notable.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Nobody misses Russia, they have not won anything of lately expect the watered down olympics where they almost lost to Germany which would have been truly embarrassing. The sporting loss of Russia is minimal.

There is no need to invite this nation who is notoriously known for doping, cheating, corruption and now for something we cant discuss but everyone knows what is is. The hockey federation of Russia have always been the flagship PR machine for the motherland, they dont deserve to use it currently!

Let the Russian players enjoy the KHL, they can do whatever want there!

And also like I said before, there is no chance Finland, Sweden and Czechia would even play against them, and I much rather see these nations compete than Russia alone. I would never visit an arena and pay for tickets if the opposing team were Russia!

All in all slam dunk decision by the IIHF!
Well said , its not the incredible talent loss some here make it seem

Reactions: Old Man Jags

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
That's because you don't follow the Russian prospects much, just go to eliteprospects and browse through the 2005 born prospects, you can easily see that this is quite a talented crop.
Very talented crop but some are acting like it completely nullifies the tournament results if they aren't there. I'm also not a fan of the double standards towards USA and Israel but that's another story

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Pretty much the same as Sweden and I think we can agree that Sweden's absence would be notable.
Besides their boycott in 1976 they've been the most reliable participant of all. I don't know if any other national team embodies international hockey tradition as much as Sweden.

Reactions: Czechboy

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Sarcasm Pretty much the same as Sweden and I think we can agree that Sweden's absence would be notable.

Sweden didn't invade anybody. As such their omission WOULD reduce the quality of play. :sarcasm:

The mental gymnastics people go through to pretend Russia’s absence is of no consequence is astounding.
Hockey is a small sport at elite level. The omission of any one of Swe, Fin, Can, Usa, and Rus significantly alters the competitive landscape. Same for czechia to a lesser degree.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Very talented crop but some are acting like it completely nullifies the tournament results if they aren't there. I'm also not a fan of the double standards towards USA and Israel but that's another story
That's not what I've been saying, just what I meant is that some people here pretend that Russia suddenly stopped producing talent, yet actually these birth years like 2003 and 2005 are, as I mentioned on the first page, the best in quite some years.

Besides their boycott in 1976 they've been the most reliable participant of all. I don't know if any other national team embodies international hockey tradition as much as Sweden.
The conversation was about Russia's modest gold medal count and from that the poster made a conclusion that Russia is mediocre anyway, yet that count is totally in the same tier as Sweden's and I don't think anyone thinks Sweden is meh.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That's because you don't follow the Russian prospects much, just go to eliteprospects and browse through the 2005 born prospects, you can easily see that this is quite a talented crop.
Not enough. I recommend him to move to Russia for all season and watch all top prospects live on their games at KHL/MHL arenas. Otherwise he has no right to comment on the topic.

• Wow
Reactions: Shark Finn
Mar 12, 2009
I thought it would be bad optics to allow them back after banning Israel, but they're lifting that ban even though neither situation has had positive changes, so it's not a matter of consistency. I don't agree with it, but I'm also not going to go around banging the "let Russia back" drum.

International tournaments will again feel watered down, especially the WJC. If you don't think the talent pool is shallower without them, even if they don't win, you're delusional. It is a more competitive tournament with them, regardless of how craven their government is.

I applaud the Americans who suddenly became anti-war activists after 2020.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I’m not calling you out. I brought up Hockey Canada’s discretions (and IIHF’s favoritism of China) because it highlights the IIHF’s double standards.

It all proves my point that Russia’s suspension is enacted for the political benefits of certain IIHF members.
The IIHF is playing politics, not Russia. It has nothing to do with reputation, ethics, whatever. And it hurts the level of play in hockey.
IIHF has nothing to do with Hockey Canada's actions or inactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille