Olympics: Russia Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
He never failed a test. He was cleared of all charges.

he was ? His ban was reduced from two years to 6 months largely because "he did not engage in intentional doping". He's eligible for the olympics, yes, but he did fail a drug test because his urine contained banned stimulants diuretics and masking agents.

so no, he was not exhonorated ( cleared of all charges) he was deemed to have not intentionally doped which by its very definition means that he did fail a drug test.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There is a massive talent difference between Datsyuk and Kovalchuk in comparison to Zaripov. He might have been okay as a 4th-liner 10 years ago, but he is now 10 years too late! Leave Zaripov at home.
Have I compared Zaripov to Datsyuk or Kovalchuk somewhere?

He is not taking their spots away. Name a player who should take Zaripov's place. And be honest. If you haven't seen him play in years, admit it. It's not like Zaripov is an all world superstar by now. It is just the Shumakovs will never have the hands or hockey IQ. Znarok has a fine 4th line and that's enough of energy players. Somebody has to create too.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Please keep this thread about the Russia Olympic roster. There is another thread dedicated to the Russia doping ban.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Have you watched him play not through some SKA glasses?

He is still the most skilled guy not named Datsyuk or Kovalchuk on that projected pool of players. Yes, more skilled than Mozyakin actually. He is not in his prime anymore, but he hasn't slowed down enough yet.

Lol about glasses... В чужом глазу соринку видит, в своем бревна не замечает... Sorry just some Russian proverb, taken from Bible "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"

Reactions: cg98 and jasonr90

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Lol about glasses... В чужом глазу соринку видит, в своем бревна не замечает... Sorry just some Russian proverb, taken from Bible "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"
It would be appropriate on your side to provide some insight instead of torturing a beaten to death proverb.

You have anything proper to say about Zaripov's game?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well this is what Atas said about guys who are currently 2nd and 3rd CSKA players in scoring:

The Sibir additions are more than questionable on the other hand. Depth players. If CSKA expects them to carry the load they are in trouble.

I think it's safe to say he sometimes doesn't see the things the way they are.

It is just the Shumakovs will never have the hands or hockey IQ.

Yeah, however soon to be 37 Zaripov will never again have Shumakov's speed and determination. Also you are making it sound like Zaripov ever was some kind of playmaking wizard. He was power forward with B+ hands and has lost his greatest assets like 2 years ago. This is not to say he wasn't great in his hay day but come on, he is past it.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Well this is what Atas said about guys who are currently 2nd and 3rd CSKA players in scoring:

I think it's safe to say he sometimes doesn't see the things the way they are.

Yeah, however soon to be 37 Zaripov will never again have Shumakov's speed and determination. Also you are making it sound like Zaripov ever was some kind of playmaking wizard. He was power forward with B+ hands and has lost his greatest assets like 2 years ago. This is not to say he wasn't great in his hay day but come on, he is past it.
:laugh: Simple world for simple people. That CSKA team is a mess because Shumakovs and Shalunovs are 2nd and 3rd in scoring there, somebody has to be. If you are so fond of them and blinded by their points in the standings feel free to bet on them winning a series against SKA. I was right then and I am right now. And you are making things up. Like being 2nd in scoring on a team means a player is skilled or not.

It is safe to say your inability to admit that I was right all along is personal. I don't really care. I enjoy watching things happen as I predicted.

Shumakov's speed and determination without skill are those of a torpedo... without a homing device it is. And regrettably a 37y.o. Zaripov is still better than thise young dynamic hockey IQ blackholes.

The things you write about Zaripov are pure haterism though. And I think you know yourself how ridic this stuff about B+ is.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
:laugh: Simple world for simple people. That CSKA team is a mess because Shumakovs and Shalunovs are 2nd and 3rd in scoring there, somebody has to be. If you are so fond of them and blinded by their points in the standings feel free to bet on them winning a series against SKA. I was right then and I am right now. And you are making things up. Like being 2nd in scoring on a team means a player is skilled or not.

It is safe to say your inability to admit that I was right all along is personal. I don't really care. I enjoy watching things happen as I predicted.

You are saying that about the team which will will finish the season with 130 points and has 24 points more than the leader of Eastern conference.. Surely it's terrible and leading it in scoring doesn't mean anything. And you are saying it's me who has problem with admitting someone else was right..

What does it have to do with them beating SKA?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
"Невключение в список приглашенных не обязательно означает, что спортсмен нарушал антидопинговые правила". Ответ МОК по России

IOC about RUSSIAN HOCKEY PLAYERS (and other athletes)

Valerie Fourneyron : "If they are not invited, it doesn't mean they have fraud and cheat against antidoping rules"

So in translation it means, if you don't have the good passport, you can be banned from the Olympics.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
This of course a pure shit from IOC, but I kinda love it. I mean, Belov over someone like Tryamkin would be even a bigger shit, but I'm sure Znaroks was ready to do it. Now he has to rethink it. Noumenkov I don't care. Bereglazov I don't care. Nichushkin... well, he's nothing especial. I'd prefer someone else over him. Plotnikov is the only one, who can remotely be considered a lock for the team. He's very helpful as 3-4th liner, but nothing game breaking.

It was a wrong decision to participate at the Olympics from the begining, but we took it. Now we should shut up and do, what they tell us.

Reactions: Morrison

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
So wait, according to the IOC, they are banning these 5 players even though they are not guilty of breaching anti-doping rules? Furthermore the IOC is not telling Russia the reason for the ban?

In the past I've been reluctant to believe that Russia is being politically persecuted by IOC, but this just doesn't pass the smell test.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
So, according to the IOC, they are banning these 5 players even though these players are not guilty of breaching anti-doping rules? Furthermore the IOC is not telling Russia the reason for the ban?

In the past I've been reluctant to believe that Russia is being politically persecuted by IOC, but this doesn't pass the smell test.

Same here. This is almost like they decided on 5 or 6 and pulled names out of a hat

Hockey in general needs to tell the Olympics to take a hike

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
How much longer are we gonna bend over and take it? We should have boycotted. This is ridiculous. The IOC and WADA arent even pretending to be genuine anymore. Scoundrels.

And these preliminary selections havent subdued my distaste for Znarok either. Zub? Tikhonov? Ketov? Kablukov? Lyubimov? Khafizullin? Kraskovsky?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad