Cut/Released: Russell Wilson

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
about time

and nobody try to tell me he played well, guy is the epitome of empty calories.
Look at the total check-downs with him as the QB in denver..... they were huge.
He isnt processing the game at all to keep up with today's speed of the game.

that win streak was set up by the defense having record breaking turnovers and giving him short fields

nightmare tenure.
Thank god for having the richest owner

He wants to be a celebrity more than a good player.

The only question is, what does he do with his next contract?
Every dollar he asks for and gets, means less money Denver owes him according to the wording.
so he can take the veteran minimum and stick it to denver, but that also means the team can cut him easily hurting his reputation even further if he struggles at all.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This was expected....

They really tried to force his hand with the injury guarantee and everything. He just sat there. That’s a hell of a dead cap space hit.
Well, they have that much dead cap based on how they structured the contract. Opted to defer into the future, vs eat a lot more up front. Jimmy G, because SF had $100 mill of cap room 5/6 years ago, only got like $7 mill in SB, but got his first 3 seasons fully guaranteed I believe.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Niners trading up for Lance is way worse to me. Definitely cost them a Super Bowl.
Given the players they could have used with those 3 first rounders. OT with Slater. secondary in 2022, and maybe even TE in 2023 (to be ready to move off Kittle) or one of the OG who went early in round 2. For a guy who started like 2 games for them.

End of the day, have to remember that both Peyton and Brady were free agents. Stafford had already signed his big contract, so they just managed to flip Goff to net out some of the dead money.

Hard to add that much cap charges to a team.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I was skeptical when the trade went down but I didn’t think it’d be this bad this soon. This is obviously the right move but I still don’t know that Payton is going to right that ship.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It's not even the trade it's the huge contract they gave him that's not even kicked in yet.

yeah that’s what people don’t get.
Like if they traded for him with that contract in place.

But the contract is seperate from the trade.

If Denver trades that package and lets him play just one season they could have moved off of him easily as he had term from his old deal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
yeah that’s what people don’t get.
Like if they traded for him with that contract in place.

But the contract is seperate from the trade.

If Denver trades that package and lets him play just one season they could have moved off of him easily as he had term from his old deal.
Russ had a NTC. I'd imagine that his team would have spoken to Denver GM and advised that he would waive on the condition that a new contract was finalized before the season. Ala, Watson and Clev. that if you want the guy you bend towards their wishes.

They paid Russ:

2022 - He was due a base of $2 mill, Roster bonus of $5 mill. SB was $50 mill for $57 mill
2023 - $8 mill base, with $20 mill option bonus for $28 mill. Total after 2 years $85 mill.
2024 - $17 mill in base, $22 mill in option bonus for $39 mill. This get to $124 mill over 3 years.

Had only taken $39 mill in cap charges of the $85 mill they paid him in 22/23. $46 mill pushed into the future.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, you don't give up that haul to get him and not extend him. I think everyone knew it was coming and should be included in the trade.

I suppose the good news is that at least the Deshaun Watson trade will act as cover for it not being the worst trade around.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, you don't give up that haul to get him and not extend him. I think everyone knew it was coming and should be included in the trade.

I suppose the good news is that at least the Deshaun Watson trade will act as cover for it not being the worst trade around.
If the trade went as expected, what do you do when the deal expires? He had a ntc in the deal with Seattle. Don’t know if he could have been tagged.

Reactions: Peat

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wilson dead cap is bigger than the two previous hits combined lol.
That’s how it usually works, which is why everyone always restructures and move up the money into signing bonuses. They did ask him, after all.

Wonder if New England is in the cards here.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
That’s how it usually works, which is why everyone always restructures and move up the money into signing bonuses. They did ask him, after all.

Steeler@ seem to be the favorites

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

They wanted him to push back the date of when the guaranteed money would vest. Which is different than turning base salary into a bonus.

His 2025 base salary becomes guaranteed later in March and they wanted that pushed back. That was the ultimate trigger as to why he was cut. This year they were on the hook for but they didn’t want another year on their books thus pulled the plug now to avoid the 2025 year.

Even without the 2024 year Denver pushed $46 mill of the $85 they paid Russ the past 2 years into the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00