Confirmed with Link: Russell Traded to Dallas for Jyrki Jokipakka, Brett Pollock, cond. 2nd round pick

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Trades: 10/10
UFA Signings: 1/10

Morale of the story, UFAs are usually terrible ideas.

Engelland wasn't bad. Horrible at first, seems ok for now. A mil overpaid.
Raymond was good for 2 weeks, then got hurt or something. I hope he finds his game.
Frolik has been solid.
Hiller was good 50% of the time. Not a terrible signing at first... His collapse was unprecedented.
Ramo was alright. The 3 headed monster was bad tho.

Trades wise, you're forgetting Bollig for a 3rd. Also, we lost Max Reinhart for nothing, but I guess we got Freddie and Poulin for nothing as well. He's damn good at trades for sure. Jones for Backstrom + 6th was meh. Hudler IMO was market rate due to age, injuries and bad luck.

Despite not getting a first this was still an amazing trade for Calgary.

We think so too. :D

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Trades: 10/10
UFA Signings: 1/10

Morale of the story, UFAs are usually terrible ideas.

To an extent sure. Gotta remember he was trying to insulate a very weak roster and our young guys on a team many predicted to finish bottom five.

We don't make the playoffs last year without Hiller and the Frolik signing by itself bumps it up from 1/10.

He's also gotten a couple Euro players like Nak and college FA's like Morrison, which is more than we used to get.

We'll see how he does with free agents this summer and then give him a final score.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Would you say all 3 pieces we got were worth about a 2nd?

Jokipakka = 2nd (Not bad since he was drafted with a 7th)
2nd = 2nd
Pollock = 2nd (45th OA pick in 2014)

That's pretty damn good IMO.

I'd say Jokipakka probably is closer to a 3rd/4th but still, a good deal overall and he's got room to grow.

Conflicted

Apr 8, 2016
To be fair to Raymond I think he excels more in the cycle game and terrible at playing a transition/stretch pass offence. I think he might fit in better with a high possession team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We got assets for a player who was not coming back and we were not making the playoffs, so thats something there. Now consider we got a 2nd and 2 x prospects, we did very well.

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
Shame we didn't get the 1st rounder out of this deal, but its still solid to get a 2nd.

I think Jokipakka cant be a solid 4/6th d-man for next couple years while our D prospects continue to develop.

Pollock seems to be a solid prospect, hadn't really heard of him until we acquired him, led the low scoring Oil Kings in goals/assists and points. Also potted his 1st pro goal with the Heat after his WHL season ended.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
To be fair to Raymond I think he excels more in the cycle game and terrible at playing a transition/stretch pass offence. I think he might fit in better with a high possession team.

I think a player has to be able to win puck battles to play a cycle game.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

I think most players would fit quite well playing with a bunch of high possession players. The thing is, Raymond needs other players to get possession first as he doesn't drive possession himself. That makes him pretty much useless.

Conflicted

Apr 8, 2016
I think most players would fit quite well playing with a bunch of high possession players. The thing is, Raymond needs other players to get possession first as he doesn't drive possession himself. That makes him pretty much useless.
I think if you gave him more structure it would be beneficial. It was not like he was playing with absolute studs on the leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad