Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Think Francis was blaming the season on the goalies, not just the game yesterday. Superficial analysis though. As bad as the goattending has been this season, the defence has been worse.

Do agree that the season is done, from a playoff perspective anyway. Don't care how weak the division is, the Flames just look bad on the ice for the most part and simply can't build any momentum after a win. I see no reason to think they'll magically turn it around at some point. The Coyotes look to be this years Flames/Avs/Leafs, the Kings have seemingly turned it around, the Nucks aren't going down without a fight and it's much more likely the Ducks turn it around given their track record.

Think it was telling the Flames made it public they wanted to re-sign Russell but there hasn't been anything about a Hudler extension. Hopefully they're both traded along with all the other UFA's. This team tends to play its best when the prospects are actually given a chance.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Think Francis was blaming the season on the goalies, not just the game yesterday. Superficial analysis though. As bad as the goattending has been this season, the defence has been worse.

Do agree that the season is done, from a playoff perspective anyway. Don't care how weak the division is, the Flames just look bad on the ice for the most part and simply can't build any momentum after a win. I see no reason to think they'll magically turn it around at some point. The Coyotes look to be this years Flames/Avs/Leafs, the Kings have seemingly turned it around, the Nucks aren't going down without a fight and it's much more likely the Ducks turn it around given their track record.

Think it was telling the Flames made it public they wanted to re-sign Russell but there hasn't been anything about a Hudler extension. Hopefully they're both traded along with all the other UFA's. This team tends to play its best when the prospects are actually given a chance.

It does make you wonder, though. Our season so far hasn't been that different from Minnesota's last year. It really does look like a confidence thing, and a team that can inexplicably lose confidence can also inexplicably gain it back.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
MIN's season started poorly entirely because of goaltending. This flames team has a ton of others holes. Someone on another flames website compared it to the Stars, which makes a lot more sense (just without the inconsistent offense and atrocious coaching).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
MIN's season started poorly entirely because of goaltending. This flames team has a ton of others holes.

One could argue a similar thing happened to the Flames because of the confidence thing. With different goaltending, we could've had a much different record to start the year, and that could've affected the way we played. But your point is valid. I'm not going to pretend that the Flames are clicking, but I don't know how separable all these factors really are.

BacklundtoBartschi*

TSN linking Calgary to Varlamov. Idk how I feel about that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Eugh how much would that even cost

Value aside, I feel like Wideman and Ramo would have to go back to deal with salary and also ensure another 3 headed beast doesn't rear its head in the short run a 4 headed one if Hiller returns. Not sure how we'd deal with the remaining value... picks and D prospects for remaining value?

I like Varly and believe he's just temporarily having a bad start this season, but I also can't tell if it's just me willing to give him benefit of a doubt because I'm bored with Hiller and Ramo and just want a shake up. I recall him being a firey guy who enjoys the traffic and would do random things like slap his stick on the ice out of boredom when playing the Flames at home last season. (He was bored because the Avs hemmed us in our zone for a while and he wasn't getting any action)

Question though, timing wise are we ok with Ortio and Gilles to avoid a 3 headed goalie monster if we have a 3 year contract with Varly? (essentially wondering Gilles ELC vs Varly contract expiry). Curious about any potential goalie management may target with a contract longer than 2 seasons.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Wideman/Russell+Ramo/Hiller+Shore/Wotherspoon for Varlamov is as far as I would go.

Top prospects (Poirier, Andersson, Kylington, Hickey, etc) and top picks (first or second round) should be off the table completely.

If Treliving trades a first round pick, protected or not, at this stage, he should be fired on the spot.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
We shouldn't buy unless it's for a promising RFA. This season's dun.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm guessing Kulak and Culkin would be part of the deal.

Varlamov for

Russell + Culkin/ Kulak + Hiller (cap)
or
Wideman + Culkin/Kulak + 3rd

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Yeah, I don't see a reason to go out and purchase a goaltender coming off injury unless were using it as leverage to dump a guy.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's not about Varlamov's value in a vacuum; it's about what a rebuilding Flames can afford to give up.

And with a few more years at 5.9M, if the Avalanche really want to move him, it won't be easy.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It's not about Varlamov's value in a vacuum; it's about what a rebuilding Flames can afford to give up.

And with a few more years at 5.9M, if the Avalanche really want to move him, it won't be easy.

Okay but at this point and times he's not a dump. That's my point. They don't have to move him. Better to hold on to him.

We can't/won't give up much for him then we don't likely get him. Just how it works. We can offer all the spare parts and things we are willing to give up but for a guy who was the team MVP two years running and had a Vezina caliber season not long ago, Wideman cannot be the only valuable thing being offered for him in this thread.

Outside of one poster saying a protected first (which I agree is a bad idea) people have thrown out one of Wideman/Russell and a combination of valueless goalie and prospects like Shore, Wotherspoon, Culkin and Kulak. None of which hold much overall value either.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Who cares? As long as it benefits the Flames. :sarcasm:

I'm all for having fun with this thread but there has to be a dose of reality sometimes.

If the Avs are willing to give up their starter for a top 4 D and change then by all means we can oblige. I just don't see it though.

I was also a Debbie downer on the idea of Hamilton being available though so...

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
I rly like the idea of Varlamov on the Flames.. Not sure why everyone hates it. He's still a top tier goaltender.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Okay but at this point and times he's not a dump. That's my point. They don't have to move him. Better to hold on to him.

We can't/won't give up much for him then we don't likely get him. Just how it works. We can offer all the spare parts and things we are willing to give up but for a guy who was the team MVP two years running and had a Vezina caliber season not long ago, Wideman cannot be the only valuable thing being offered for him in this thread.

Outside of one poster saying a protected first (which I agree is a bad idea) people have thrown out one of Wideman/Russell and a combination of valueless goalie and prospects like Shore, Wotherspoon, Culkin and Kulak. None of which hold much overall value either.

If something around Russell/Wideman+Ramo/Hiller doesn't get it done, well, that's fine. An oft injured goalie with a big cap hit doesn't really help the Flames all that much. Need to give to get, that's well established, but if it doesn't fit the parameters of a rebuild, (that means even guys like Kulak and Culkin are off the table) then Treliving will look elsewhere.

Just like how Treliving backed out of acquiring Myers and E. Kane when the Jets demanded both Monahan and Bennett. It has to make sense for both sides, not just appease arbitrary values.

But that being said, it's not that clear cut for Colorado. They're a budget team. And if they decide Berra and Pickard are good enough moving forward, and that they need to free up money to sign Barrie, then Varlamov might very well be approached as a cap dump. And from that perspective, a package of UFA's in Russell and Hiller/Ramo and average prospects in Shore or Wotherspoon might just be the best offer they get. Not many teams need a goalie and even fewer have the cap space to take on 5.9M without sending significant salary back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad